Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 load system

Anyone used the 2 load system and the weak hand reload? If so which is faster?

It's going to be an individual thing.....I load 2up with my weak hand and feel pretty confidant with it. I also like the fact that my shells are opposite my pistol holster. I also load off a chest set up as well.

There are 3 or 4 different companies that make these rig's, check them all out. We all make a good product, you get to decide which one is going to work best you.

As for loading with the strong hand or weak hand......the good news is, you can try both and decide whcih is going to work best for you!

Tim

If you spend 100 hours or so practicing the weak hand load, you can get proficient at it. If you spend about an hour practicing twins loading, you can get very good at it. In either case, loading with your dominant hand is faster for most people than the same method weak hand. The guys at the top who were good with loading who have switched have picked up time and reduced fumbles. Even some of the guys who said it was a fad, or silly, are now twins loading.

Edited by MarkCO

There is one load method that has less fumble than "The Twins" = Its the grab -one- shell at a time method. If a 14second reload is Ok to you.

I tryed very hard for way more than 100rs of practice to get -good. OK- at the "weekhand load" and I can still do it.

The Twins / Load two is way more consitent than Weekhand load.

In a few stages ware your moving and picking up a target durring the load = thin the Weekhand load is good to have the gun up and near the shooting postion. to save time.

If your going to play thin Play Hard and learn both, & get the best equipment you can afford.

Even a Old washed up Sr shooter with a low skill level like me can hit an 8 round reload under 5 seconds every now and thin

Edited by AlamoShooter

For me the load 2 system is way faster. I am slow with the weak hand system. I can load 8 rounds in about 12 seconds with the weakhand system. With the load 2 I have gotten it down to 6 seconds and I spent a lot more time practicing the weakhand system. With the load 2 it came natural and I did not have to practice it that much to get reasonably good at it.

Pat

Quad-load and load2 is way faster for me. I started off with weakhand and spent time practicing, but as soon as I switched to load2 (and then quad-load), it is MUCH, MUCH faster with a LOT less practice time. For the load2 and quad-load, I've found that it all starts with how you grab the shells.....clean grab and you are good to go........get lazy on getting a clean grab and you'll fumble.

There are pros and cons of course.

Most fumble factor (for me) in order:

Weakhand

Quad-load

Load2

Fastest when clean, in order:

Quad-load

Load2

Weakhand

Fastest even with a fumble, in order:

Load2

Quad-load

Weakhand

Been using the CarbonArms 8shell pinwheel and 4shell pinwheels as of late.

Note that I do all my loading with my support hand, as I prefer to keep the shooting hand on the gun. Here is an old video, I've bested the times in it easily now:

Even with a fumble that I messed up badly, quad-load is pretty fast during a match, and I had one of the better times of the day on this stage:

Edited by AustinWolv

Loading weak hand I could never get consistantly under 7 seconds. Live fire it was normally about 9 seconds. I bought my first shotgun February 2012 so I have not been in the game long.

I imported two FSL12's and got them in September 2012 and didnt get on with them to start. At the end of October I put my mind to it and the results have been outstanding with load 4. To do this I had to learn load 2 first.

I shoot live fire once a week. The rest of the week I make do with loading, dry fire and airsoft. When I shoot live i always start with the same drills and these are the times for the last two weeks for a few of them.

Feb 7 - Benelli M2

Load 8 targets @10m, 6" plates (start on aim)

0.21+4.54=4.75

0.20+4.59=4.79

0.22+4.29=4.51

Load 8 on move as above but boxes 5m apart

with the gun

0.21+5.01=5.22

0.22+5.15=5.37

against the gun

0.29+7.29=7.58 (fumble)

0.22+5.15=5.37

Versa Max Synthetic 24"

Load 12

0.92+2.82+0.37+2.62+0.33+4.18=11.44

0.99+2.78+0.30+3.59+0.32+2.75=10.73

0.89+2.88+0.28+2.61+0.25+3.44=10.35

Feb 14 - Versa Max

Load 4

0.76+3.13=3.89

0.76+3.15=3.91

Load 8

0.83+7.51=8.34 (stoppage failed to feed)

0.85+5.20=6.05

The M2 is the gun I have been using for a year. The VM is new and still has a few issues to sort out which is why there are not as much data for this week.

What I hope it shows is a relatively new shooter can achieve good results with load 4 if you put in the time. Even when I fumble I am still faster than with a perfect weak hand load. I know the question was about load 2 but once you can load 2 you will definitely move on to load 4.

I would also say that you need to take your time and build up to it. Load 4 is easier than weak hand but that doesn't mean its EASY!

The fastest time I have on video is below with the M2 (13 Dec 2012) 0.28+4.86=5.14. The fastest I have shot it is 0.26+4.00=4.26 (2 Jan)

13 Dec

Feb 7

I have small hands and I really struggled with weak hand loading from standard shell caddies. I tried doing it strong hand but my times were really slow. Two weeks ago I got some Taccom dual loads and with in 20 min I was beating all my old times. In two weeks time I am down to a 5.25 sec. par time with 8 rounds. The load two works great for me and my small hands. I tried the quad load a few times, but where the dual load is great for small hands the quad load is a disaster. I think the dual method is as fast as I am going to get.

I worked with both weak hand and strong hand (load two) for several hours last night. Weak hand just couldn't get my time below 10 seconds, strong hand I was consistently around 6 seconds. So being a newbie to this sport what is the advantage of weak hand? Is it getting back on target quicker? For the guys who have competed in many 3 Gun: would there be a situation where a certain stage would dictate which load method would be quicker? I'm sure that with more practice I could improve the load two weak hand just trying to figure out what the point would be.

I worked with both weak hand and strong hand (load two) for several hours last night. Weak hand just couldn't get my time below 10 seconds, strong hand I was consistently around 6 seconds. So being a newbie to this sport what is the advantage of weak hand? Is it getting back on target quicker? For the guys who have competed in many 3 Gun: would there be a situation where a certain stage would dictate which load method would be quicker? I'm sure that with more practice I could improve the load two weak hand just trying to figure out what the point would be.

I load a pistol and AR with my left hand so to me it makes sense to load the shotgun with the same hand. I also think that if I had started to use the right hand initially I would have been quicker for no other reason than I am right handed.

I am also aware that several people have had an ND using the strong hand where one of the fingers has caught the trigger in the remount. Not something I would want to do.

Reacquiring the target quicker is something that will be argued both ways. For me I think that with the gun down low nothing obscures my vision and I acquire the target very quickly. Others will argue that with the gun on your shoulder you get the targets quicker that way faster. I have watched Keith Garcia's youtube videos hundreds of times (traditional weak hand) and wondered why he is so fast but does not load in the shoulder. I came to the conclusion that he practices everyday and he must shoot two eyes open so a clear view is more advantageous than less movement.

How you practice is very important. A two hour session is not as good as 20 minutes a day 4-5 days a week. If you have several hours to spend it would be better to break the time up during the day. I also think that people who post that it took them only a few hours to learn a system give new shooters the wrong impression. Starting from scratch it took me just over 2 months to get to a live fire 4 second load 8. Three weeks of building work at home in Jan/Feb and I'm now in the 5 seconds.

I did some load two weak this past weekend, without any prior practice. Obviously, it was strange at first but I liked. I also learn to rotate the Taccom, straight up and down was not the fastest way. I guess it is true that necessity is the mother of invention. :goof: .

I think I dropped like 15 seconds on my second run.

I just acquired a shotgun so I can start looking into 3 gun matches (a FNH SLP), so my question for all you veterans is simply what method would you recommend a new shotgun shooter to start with?

You are in the right place now. Load two is the way to go.

So with events like the ironman you would really need two fsl12s to be safe right? Is that doable with a full 3g load out rifle/pistol/shotgun?

Nope. It may cover you for some of the stages, but not all of them. I know I shot more than 42 rounds on several stages.

• 1 month later...

I worked on weakhand and practiced Nd could do load 8 in 6 or so. Used load two stronghand for two hours and was under six. Been doing it for awhile and just did two load twelve drills in under 9. 8.37 and 8.9. My buddies thought it was nuts till I showed them video. Don't think I will go back unless stage has real high round count and have to load off of belt, and for that reason still practice weakhand. Never hurts to keep that tool in box.

Just started 3gun last year. Bought shell caddies and practiced here and there at the weak hand reload. Averaged 12-15 seconds to load 8. Sometimes longer than that. Got some Taccom duo loaders and mounted them on a bracket I made that conforms to your waistline. I can consistently load 8 in less than 6 seconds, and have beat a 5 second par time a couple times. This is week two for the load 2 system. Screw the caddies...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...