Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

to add 3.5 connector or not?

DieselMcBadass

The 3.5 connector has a shallower angle. Therefor the trigger bar slides farther before it is cammed down enough to release the striker. This can make it feel mushy.

The + connector (8 lb) has the steepest angle and therefor the trigger is heavier but crisper because it takes very little movement for the striker to be released.

Mine all have the standard 5.0 connector in them.

Question I have to ask is...What is the purpose of your Gen 4 Glock 19? If it's to use it as a competition firearm then the competition spring kit and 3.5# connector will give you a substantial improvement (that and a very lite polishing of the contact between the striker and trigger bar to improve the contact face and smooth the "pull"). Too much "polishing" with yield a double tap trigger (commonly referred to as a bump fire trigger) If your Glock is a carry gun do the $0.25 polishing and leave it stock. Why? If you do have to use it in a defensive shooting and it comes out it has a lighter than factory trigger pull a bastard defense lawyer can paint you as the bad guy.

All that said, the Comp springs and 3.5 connector will please you and leave you wanting for more. I know...I did this to my 34 and the change improved my competition scores by 20%.

I like the 3.5 lb connector along with the comp spring kit. Just need to try it out if you reload before the match to make sure lighter striker spring will ignite primers. Some hard primers or poorly seated/primed primers will not go bang with the lightened striker spring.

I have to agree with the person who asked what is the main purpose for your Glock. If it has to remain stock and is for other than competition use then stick with the stock standard connector. If you can change connectors and it does not have to be stock Glock, i.e. it is for a game gun, then take a look at Ghost, Glockworx and other aftermarket connectors. They have some different geometry and can help a lot.

The reason for leavin the stock trigger if it is a carry gun has nothing to do with "being called a bad guy by lawyers" trust me this happens regardless. It has everything to do with not unintentionally breaking off a shot under the extreme stress of a defense situation. Why do you think all basic level mil an police units have heavy triggers? Because they want thiier people to have sh!tty gear? I think not. And they get scenario based training in trigger control/ shoot don't shoot, do you? (Brown vs white ipsc targets don't count)

Most stuff here is competition/sport driven.

Why do you think all basic level mil an police units have heavy triggers?

Liabilty

NO! Because some,not all, have a bad habit of putting their finger on the trigger when they should NOT. NY city police dept has many stories early on when they switched to the G-19. And from their latest shooting on the streets with their 15# triggers where numerous people were hit with errant bullets or shrapnel from bullets, do you think the heavy trigger defense will help any in a court ?

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Liability. Lawyers. Improper and infrequent training (not by all, but by most). Adrenaline. Wanting to make sure that the trigger is pulled because it was intentional. Liability.

BECAUSE many put their fingers on the trigger before they should, we mandate heavy trigger pulls and cater to the lowest common denominator. You can talk about training people to not do it all you want, but reality is most (not all) law enforecement and even many military are not "shooters" in the sense of the word we use here. Bad things happen when guns are pointed at people under stress.

NOTE: I am not saying I agree with the heavy triggers..... just saying why they exist. Many departments switched from revolvers or other SA/DA autos to Glocks..... their people were trained to have long, heavy trigger pulls. The heavier Glock triggers were a response to the departments wanting less training for their people when transitioning to the Glocks, and having heavier triggers like they were already trained on. So there would be less chance of mistakes and the cities getting sued. Liability.

Why do you think all basic level mil an police units have heavy triggers?

Liabilty

NO! Because some,not all, have a bad habit of putting their finger on the trigger when they should NOT. NY city police dept has many stories early on when they switched to the G-19. And from their latest shooting on the streets with their 15# triggers where numerous people were hit with errant bullets or shrapnel from bullets, do you think the heavy trigger defense will help any in a court ?

I don't think they will be taken to court over it, and if they do, my best guess is, they will win. Police shoot a lot of people, some by accident, most not by accident, and seldom is anything ever done against the shooter. A for instance would be, the two Asian women delivering papers in LA. The police were looking for a 270# black man driving a grey Toyota pickup truck. When the two Asian women in a blue (some other make) truck drove by the wrong house, the police opened up on them with no verbal warning whatsoever. Put 34 holes in their truck and wounded both women, one seriously. I do not believe the police will face any sanction other than the couple of days off with pay they are serving right now.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Well you see, the huge purchase of ammunition by the government something way over 400 million rounds of 40 cal, have made it possible to shoot LOTS of people LOTS of times and never worry about running out of ammo.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this case.

I'm not a lawyer, and have never played one on TV, but I would think the extra leg up a lawyer might get for say, a shotgun converted to have a pistol grip and with a legal but short barrel, could look very bad in court. However, I would not think a slightly improved trigger would cause many eyebrows to be raised. I'm not sure the pros would even be astute enough to check trigger pull weight.

On the other side of the coin, some find the 3.5 connector along with the stock wt springs to be a very nice combination. Were it mine I'd just shuffle some parts in and out until I found a combination I could live with. These parts are not expensive, and so it affords the opportunity to do some experimenting.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

It is SO cheap to try a different connector and it is SO subjective, that you really need to just drop one (or several) different connectors in and see which you like best.

That said, I my experience is:

Added a 3.5 connecter to a 34 and the improvement is terrific. That and a bit of Flitz makes the trigger a mile better than box stock.

This and be sure to take the time to polish it up before you install it. That is critical!

It is SO cheap to try a different connector and it is SO subjective, that you really need to just drop one (or several) different connectors in and see which you like best.

That said, I my experience is:

Added a 3.5 connecter to a 34 and the improvement is terrific. That and a bit of Flitz makes the trigger a mile better than box stock.

• 2 weeks later...

When I use the "minus" connector (and I only use OEM Glock connectors), I use it in conjunction with a NY1 spring-that provides me with a consistant triggerpull, from inception to break, with a quick, very discernable reset point. The two Glocks in my collection that I have set up this way (A Gen 3 G34 and a Gen 3 G19) are used for both carry and competition. The combination of the "minus" connector and the NY1 spring provides a triggerpull that is slightly heavier than that of the "standard" connector and the coil trigger spring; while I personally like it for the characteristics I've described above, it should also nicely address any comparative concerns over legal liability discussed earlier in the thread.

Best, Jon

When I use the "minus" connector (and I only use OEM Glock connectors), I use it in conjunction with a NY1 spring-that provides me with a consistant triggerpull, from inception to break, with a quick, very discernable reset point. The two Glocks in my collection that I have set up this way (A Gen 3 G34 and a Gen 3 G19) are used for both carry and competition. The combination of the "minus" connector and the NY1 spring provides a triggerpull that is slightly heavier than that of the "standard" connector and the coil trigger spring; while I personally like it for the characteristics I've described above, it should also nicely address any comparative concerns over legal liability discussed earlier in the thread.

Best, Jon

Perhaps I'm ill informed, or naive, but I don't see how the combination you mentioned would address the legal liability concerns. It's still a modified trigger and I'd think a lawyer would still be able to argue that the modifications made to the pistol indicate you are someone who likes to shoot, and has modified the pistol to shoot better, and so are prone to shoot. I'd think the only lawyer resistant combination would be exactly as it come from the factory.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ive heard it only slightly reduces pull weight and makes it "mushy" compared to stock. I dont want to make my pull mushier. Any truth to this? Have a gen 4 g19

Yup. The trigger on my Gen 4 G34 is mushy compared to my Gen 4 G23.

I just put a 'dot' connector in my 30S yesterday. It added a small amount to the weight of the trigger pull, but I love how clean the break is now.

I added a set of Heinie Straight 8's at the same time and while checking them for point of impact, the otherwise factory trigger with the new connector won me over.