Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LE revolver sighting!

Carmoney

During the last week I was flying out of the Des Moines airport, and happened to see a veteran police officer in a Des Moines Police Department uniform with a S&W 686 and speedloaders on his belt!

It does my heart good to know that there are still a few bona fide law enforcement guys out there who still choose to report to duty with their trusty wheelguns. It was sorta like spotting a bald eagle in the sky. :D

During the last week I was flying out of the Des Moines airport, and happened to see a veteran police officer in a Des Moines Police Department uniform with a S&W 686 and speedloaders on his belt!

It does my heart good to know that there are still a few bona fide law enforcement guys out there who still choose to report to duty with their trusty wheelguns. It was sorta like spotting a bald eagle in the sky. :D

Out of curiosity, how many speedloaders did he have on his belt? With most LEO that carry autos carrying 2spare mags I would guess that it would be at least 3 speedloaders if not more.

All I have to say is that I'd rather be shot at by a guy who is relying on his magazine rather than a guy who is relying on his ability. That, and I'd take a .357 last out of all common defense rounds, by which I mean it's the last one I want to be shot with.

Out of curiosity, how many speedloaders did he have on his belt? With most LEO that carry autos carrying 2spare mags I would guess that it would be at least 3 speedloaders if not more.

I used to carry Safariland Comp I loaders in a stack pouch giving me 6 in the cylinder and 24 on the belt. Then there was the cruiser bag ;)

My first duty gun was a 581 with dump pouches. Went to speed loaders (Safariland). Then I went to the dark side (1911). I gotta say though, if I had to make one shot for score, I'd use a rotator. A well worn revolver in a duty holster does still give me the warm and fuzzies.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

I used to carry Safariland Comp I loaders in a stack pouch giving me 6 in the cylinder and 24 on the belt. Then there was the cruiser bag ;)

That would be what I would expect. Given the possibility of multiple threats facing a LEO, having at least 24 rounds between the cylinder and belt pouches sounds reasonable. Given the space constraints on the belts of LEO's, and the difference between speedloader and magazine capacities. Even the best shot needs to take into account that the threat(s) may take cover in a firefight, leading to some shots ending up in cover the threat is behind.

Edited by Blueridge

That would be what I would expect. Given the possibility of multiple threats facing a LEO, having at least 24 rounds between the cylinder and belt pouches sounds reasonable. Given the space constraints on the belts of LEO's, and the difference between speedloader and magazine capacities. Even the best shot needs to take into account that the threat(s) may take cover in a firefight, leading to some shots ending up in cover the threat is behind.

Don't forget the NY reload

I carried a model 19 w/ safariland loaders, not long though. I think we who did carry one back in the days know a majority of fellow officers were terrible shots, so as a whole and tactically auto were a welcomed sight. And my memory recalls for training and qualification we shot wadcutters with light loads and the loaded with magnums for duty, man it took a long time to get the dinosaurs to see that combo system was foolish.

I love, love, love my revolvers, but on a traffic stop, at 2am when your alone, I feel much more comfortable with 18 friends in the gun and 34 waiting to get in the fight on my belt.

Still, what the hell, if I was pulling airport duty, which was the dog house for us, is not that exciting and a great place to make a statement by carrying a revolver.

" love, love, love my revolvers, but on a traffic stop, at 2am when your alone, I feel much more comfortable with 18 friends in the gun and 34 waiting to get in the fight on my belt."

This makes a LOT of sense. You never know what's out there, right? Ninja edit, i'm not being sarcastic. I've wondered this a lot. Given the chance for crazy situations, multiple threats, less than ideal shooting conditions, I wonder how "tactically sound" a revolver is.

Edited by Cd662

I carry my J Frame 95% of the time. Front pocket here also. Here in Jax FL we have had numerous police shooting suspects lately. Average rounds fired 19 number of hits on perp 1.5 rounds average. Now you know why they don't carry revolvers like they use to. The new generation can't shoot.

Don't forget the NY reload

Chicago officer up by me carries a full size revolver on his strong side hip, a bid forward, and a J frame right behind it as his first reload

Edited by cnote