Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best powder for .308

texasfan85

There are several powders that would probably work for you and it's almost impossible to say which one is the best. The old standby for match ammo was 4895. Nowadays, Varget is pretty popular. Expermentation is the only way to know for sure what will work best in your rifle.

Edited by sleepercaprice1

Another vote for Varget. Works well in 308 and 223, as well as others. More important to menus it works well in most temperatures. No spikes in the summer or sluggish performance on cold days.

I have shot it for years from Louisiana Summers to Kansas Winters.

- John

Ok will look in to getting vargetthanks everyone for helping me out with this i had everything figured out exept the powder so now i just hope i can find some.

Yea... good luck with that...

Varget is the first to go outa stock and the last to come back in stock. Probably because of it popularity.

In the interim try Tac, 4895, Benchmark, RL15, BLC2, cfe223, all in no particular order.

jj

Another one for Varget. I will use it for shots at or over 600 yds.

Another option especially for progressive presses would be Winchester 748. I can shoot sub half minute groups at 200 yds with 168 SMK in my rifle. Works well for .223 also.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to rifle/pistol reloading. I am waiting for the delivery of my Dillon RL 550B (ordered an EZ-Buy package from Brian). Probably not a good time to get started, but the current situation makes me believe that reloading will be the most reliable way of obtaining ammo. Trying to find components has been difficult, but I did find some Hodgdon powder in stock on Bassproshop.com. Only had 1 lb cannisters, but I was able to order BLC2, Benchmark, H4895, H335 and Varget. Thought I would try each and determine which my guns like best. All of the components seem to be hard to find right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I get sub MOA with RL15 and 175gr SMK bullets out of my Remington 700 AAC. I have hit steel at 1000 yards with that combonation as well. I just started a 3 gun load with 110gr loads with 748 that performed very well out of my JP LRP07 last weekend. The RL15 is very close to Varget on the burn chart and the 748 meters great in a dillon powder measure.

• 4 weeks later...

Gun powder is like car brands, it's what you like.

We are going to have to face the problem of

What's left to choose from. Use what every you can come up with. There are dozens of different

Powders out there that will perform. Find a old reloading Manuel find a powder that's on some store shelf. Buy a Pound experiment, in most cases the same powder will work for several calibers..... Just a suggestion