Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should USPSA allow 8-shot minor in Revolver Division?

Carmoney

I'm an ICORE life member, joined while in Louisiana to shoot it there. I haven't shot an ICORE match since I left Louisiana in 2007. Now, back to MN, we tried 2 years ago to get an ICORE club going here in MN, there was not enough interest.

We have a few guys that shoot Rev in USPSA (MARK AND KIETH) on a regular bases. I never shoot it because I wanted to shoot Limited, L-10 nationals. Now we're trying a Rev National match, (its long over due) 117 people thats a great turn out compared to 16. And all are going to shoot 6 shot major. I wonder, if the rules aloud Open 8 shot major. 6, 7 and 8 round minor plus courses of fire that are 6 round neutral. If we would attract ICORE and IDPA shooter's? and way more USPSA shooter's?. I think so. USPSA is all over the Country allowing more shooting opportunity.

Unanimity Flex and Carmoney!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its the moonclips isn't it? Its all because of the moonclips. Other divisions buy 3000 dollar guns, with 3000 dollars of accessories, then scurry around for the gold plated brass they fling all over the range and talk about how expensive it all is. Revolver shooters get ALL their brass back. Revolver will always be the red headed step child, that is tolerated just to keep the old and the ADA at bay. 5shot, 6shot, 7shot, 8shot,.. its the moon clips that those racist open/limited shooters hate. :D

TY, you are right, and remember, its for the children...... :goof:

Seriously.......This is a great idea having a stand alone match with SS Nats.

At the end of the day we still have..... a small percentage of USPSA shooters that will actively shoot Steel Challenge and go to the National and World Match, and a small segment of the shooting populace shoots Bianchi or action shooting.

Why is that?........I submit to you that those disciplines are "harder" than others. The accuracy requirements are harder, requiring more practice, different equipment,etc, at least for Bianchi. The more competitive people always look for the challenge to do well. Revo is one of those subsets. It will not appeal to everyone because it is more work than loading up a big stick, turning on the dot, and blazing away....<no, not disparaging open division at all, I love shooting that division when I can.... :ph34r: >

I have no problem opening up Revo to 8 shot guns. The more the merrier. The better shooter will still prevail....regardless of which gun they are running....We have not lost that part of our competition .....yet.......and those who would rather pee and moan instead of practice and bring their game to a new level will have another thing to bitch about too......Win Win....right?? :devil:

DougC

Its the moonclips isn't it? Its all because of the moonclips. Other divisions buy 3000 dollar guns, with 3000 dollars of accessories, then scurry around for the gold plated brass they fling all over the range and talk about how expensive it all is. Revolver shooters get ALL their brass back. Revolver will always be the red headed step child, that is tolerated just to keep the old and the ADA at bay. 5shot, 6shot, 7shot, 8shot,.. its the moon clips that those racist open/limited shooters hate. :D

Yes, Yes it is. As much as I hated picking up brass before, after shooting the wheel for the last couple months, I now just try to leave the auto brass on the ground and sneak off the range..... Next to cleaning guns or picking up the house after myself, I hate brass pickup more than anything!!!

Another thing, when I step on one I cry. If it were a magazine I wouldn't even miss a step to avoid one. Now I look down before I even move after I shoot to make sure I don't bend one of those fragile little wonders.

Another thing, when I step on one I cry. If it were a magazine I wouldn't even miss a step to avoid one. Now I look down before I even move after I shoot to make sure I don't bend one of those fragile little wonders.

Welcome to the dark side, young Skywalker

Edited by COF

Yes, Yes it is. As much as I hated picking up brass before, after shooting the wheel for the last couple months, I now just try to leave the auto brass on the ground and sneak off the range..... Next to cleaning guns or picking up the house after myself, I hate brass pickup more than anything!!!

Well said, they need to add a 5 minute segment to the USPSA RO class, RO's and those keeping score, PLEASE do not step on moonclips!!!

Dave Hearth made me some custom moonclips for my 610 that are pretty well RO proof. Shooting John Zaczek's ZSA 3gun matches was really rough on Ranch Products clips. They bent if looked at the wrong way. The Hearthco clips work very well and are very tough.

So,

Its almost time for the BACK TO BACK NATIONALS! just picked up my Single Stack Wow! that is different. I've been so focused on the wheeler, it is all I've been shooting. Going to try a match this weekend with both guns to find out how bad the transition is going to be.

Any one else doing anything different to get ready?

Whatever USPSA decides, I'm still going to shoot my 6.5" - 610.. I seem to do ok with it at the IRC, and I do just fine with it at USPSA matches.. I choose to shoot minor so I don't have to swap up loads between ICORE and USPSA..I was practicing draws the other day and managed to pull several sub 1 second draws.. and splits in the .22-.26 range.. 6, 7, or 8 shot revolvers all need discipline to shoot only as many shots as are needed and to make every shot count.. add any kind of distance, difficulty, or hard cover/no shoots and the advantage of 8 over 6 doesn't seem to make as much difference.. Since I always shoot the same gun/load combination, I know where my gun is absolutely going to print as long as I do my part.. Consistency is more important to me than more ammo available..

I proved it to myself that more ammo available in a lighter/shorter gun was not conducive to a better match score..What I use works for me.. it may not work for anyone else, but that's really not my problem :)

Edited by sargenv

So,

Its almost time for the BACK TO BACK NATIONALS! just picked up my Single Stack Wow! that is different. I've been so focused on the wheeler, it is all I've been shooting. Going to try a match this weekend with both guns to find out how bad the transition is going to be.

Any one else doing anything different to get ready?

I have been reloading ammunition and shot a match recently. I have spent time visualizing what I did well and not so well from the match. I plan to chrono some of my reloads just to confirm that they are loaded for the power factor I want. I know that they will make major, I just want to know what they more specifically making.

• 1 month later...

Very late to the discussion. I have been shooting Revolver since 2006. Started with a 6.5 inch 610 and last year got a 5 inch 625. I am looking for a 627 and I would love to shoot the 627 in Revolver division, but either way I am probably going to buy one this year and will shoot it in Production if I can't shoot it in Revolver.

Local club matches I all most always shoot two guns, Revolver and then either L10 or Production. This would let me use a revolver for both guns and be somewhat competitive. I would love to make it to National in the next year or two and if I do it will be to shoot Revolver.

I say let the 7 and 8 shots into Revolver division!

ETA, how likely is 8-shot minor in Revolver division? Any official information on the prospects?

Edited by mcb

I am all for 8 shot minor. I would be all for 10 shot minor if that was possible. I think that the problem with revolver division is that its so hard to be competitive against all the other divisions. I know your not suppose to compare divisions but everyone does. My competative side comes out when I go to matches. I want to do well. I hate being at the bottom of the overall scores.

My two cents.

Craig

I am all for 8 shot minor. I would be all for 10 shot minor if that was possible. I think that the problem with revolver division is that its so hard to be competitive against all the other divisions. I know your not suppose to compare divisions but everyone does. My competative side comes out when I go to matches. I want to do well. I hate being at the bottom of the overall scores.

My two cents.

Craig

Exactly. Point well stated, Craig.

I had threw up a quick poll on my local state gun message board.

Results as follows

Would you consider shooting Revolver division USPSA if you could shoot your 8 shot 38 spl ( S&W 627 ) Revolver.

Yes, i'd be more interested in shooting revolver if 8 shots were allowed (6 votes [24.00%

No, I think revolver division should stay the way it is with 6 shots only (12 votes [48.00%]

Revolvers are stupid and i'll never shoot them in competition (7 votes [28.00%] -

I'm to the point where it is what it is... I personally enjoy the 6 shots, but if it does come around and 8 shots are that much more dominant over the 6 shooters, that just means I'll have to go out and buy another gun.

Edited by alecmc

A 6 shot revolver neutral match is not something I would enjoy shooting. Too dumbed down in my opinion. Make the match the way you want it and let people shooter inside their division and deal with it.

Pat

I agree, revolver neutral match usually ends up making the stages feel more like Virginia Count even when its Comstock. I don't mind a few standing reloads and even dumping a live round or two on the ground if the stages are fun, interesting, and challenging.

Can revolvers have there own seperate sport? Theres steel challenge, multigun, maybe there can be a whole seperate sport for revolvers? Call it united states revolver practical shooters association or something like that? I think they are making a rifle section. Why not revolvers?

Craig

They call that ICORE... Revolver shooters don't want to take our toys and play elsewhere. We want to play on the same USPSA playground as everyone else but with our toys.

My two cents.

Craig

Exactly. Point well stated, Craig.

8 shot minor won't guarantee a better showing against the other divisions. After all you will still be shooting a revolver. I don't really know how I feel about 8 shot revolvers being introduced. I do not have strong feelings either way. I do hope that the status of revolver division improves, and changes that make that happen I am for.

A 6 shot revolver neutral match is not something I would enjoy shooting. Too dumbed down in my opinion. Make the match the way you want it and let people shooter inside their division and deal with it.

Pat

I agree, revolver neutral match usually ends up making the stages feel more like Virginia Count even when its Comstock. I don't mind a few standing reloads and even dumping a live round or two on the ground if the stages are fun, interesting, and challenging.

I'm not going to re-read 24 pages of this thread but I don't recall anyone asking for the matches to be changed.

Edited to add: OK, several pages back I found one post out of 599 that mentioned 6 shot neutral stages but still, it is not really being considered!

Edited by bdpaz