Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you be competitive with a glock?

freezingduck

For IPSC Standard, pretty much the same as USPSA Limited.

Can you be competitive with lets say a G35?

Will you be beaten by 2011?

I would think that priority one is training.

Priority 2 is having a reliable gun.

Far down on third place on the list, trigger, weapon weight, magazine capacity and so on.

Everyone keeps telling me that the glock doesn't belong on the range, only custom match guns like CZ, 2011, tangfoglios and so on.

So even thou I saw the custom guns go down one by one, I bought a CZ myself.

I might be a tad faster with it, but it keeps failing on me every 500rds or so with different failures everytime.

I am thinking of selling everything exept glocks.

Does the glocks start failing if to start swithing out parts as well?

Triggers, springs, guide rods, mags, and so on

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you can be competitive with a Glock. Look at KC; Sevigny; Jessie...etc..

Just practice with what you have and you will be competitive. Make sure the gun and mags are reliable and you will do well.

For some people it's kinda psychological in that they think they will do better with a certain brand of gun. Like some people say, "it's the indian and not the bow/arrow" (something like that).

glock is a pretty popular gun in competition. fwiw, i see just as many failures as with any other gun, but whatever. they mostly seem to be related to ammunition

what kind of failures have you had? I've only been able to get my cz to choke if i do something wrong, like use a crappy pro-mag magazine AND also load flat points very short. or if I go 1 step too light on the mainspring i'll get a light strike every now and then.

But mostly I shoot a thousand or so rounds a month completely trouble-free. If your gun is giving you a problem, I would fix it before I bought a different gun.

Edited by motosapiens

Find something you shoot well. It's different for every person. I have Para Limited gun that I like and shoot pretty well. I bought my wife a G17 that she barely shoots, so I have been playing with it lately. Other than the Major/Minor difference its just another platform to figure out.

Getting a gun fixed is usually cheaper than changing guns. Find a good 'smith and follow good reloading practices.

You can be competitive with whatever you put your mind (and wallet) to!

With the CZ in 3000rds I have had two bad primer strikes, two FTF, 3 stove pipes and the mags wont drop free with the slide locked back.

The glock has had a bad primer strike, but I checked the primer, and it was a solid hit.

I am faster with the glock at shorter ranges.

At distance, and more accurate shots I am a tad faster with the cz with the same accuracy.

The glock is bone stock gen 4 G17 with a 6,5lbs trigger pull.

I am Installing the minus connector soon to bring the trigger pull down to the 5lbs range to see if that makes a difference.

The glock is bone stock gen 4 G17 with a 6,5lbs trigger pull.

I am Installing the minus connector soon to bring the trigger pull down to the 5lbs range to see if that makes a difference.

I would go with a good set of sights and also install a extra heavy trigger spring to bring the trigger pull down another pound and if class legal a ss recoil guide rod ( I like the uncaptured) with a adapter so you can run a single spring.

Sure you can be competitive with a Glock. Look at KC; Sevigny; Jessie...etc..

Just practice with what you have and you will be competitive. Make sure the gun and mags are reliable and you will do well.

For some people it's kinda psychological in that they think they will do better with a certain brand of gun. Like some people say, "it's the indian and not the bow/arrow" (something like that).

+1

I shoot a Glock 34 and sometimes a 35 for production, I shoot my Glock 35 for limited and my Glock 22 for Open. Yes you can be competitive with Glocks. just this month I shot the FL State Championship with a few guys that I know and a couple are a higher class then I, and I still beat them.

Glocks can and do compete very well against the others out there. The 2011's and CZ types are easier to some point with there better triggers and so on but it really comes down to what you like and are comfortable with also practice practice practice will close the gap. The CZ problems are strange I have had mine close to 4 years now and never had a light strike or FTF or FTE and Iam still using the same springs I might be lucky but every brand has a problem with a gun or two. I have been using Glocks for years now a G34 the longest and If I had to stop shooting CZ'S the G34 would be my go to gun in production. Dont buy into Glocks dont belong on the range I hear the same from a few hardcore 2011 shooters say CZ'S dont belong in Limited, again shoot what YOU like dont worry about the others and let them shoot what they like.

Sure a shooter can be competitive. Will you win all the time? No, and no one ever will no matter the platform they shoot.

Everything boils down to training, practice, then more training and more practice. Its not the gun, in most cases.

When I started shooting Limited using a Glock 22, I had a couple of guys say I needed a 2011 to be competitive. But some people can really be gun snobs. My original intention was to shoot the Glock for now, since it's 1/5 of the price of a decent 2011 setup and that's what I could afford at the time. And then I would latr build a 2011 once I could save some more cash up. I have been able to borrow a 2011 for a match and try it out. I did like it, but I kinda like being the "underdog" so to speak. Some of these guys have $3,000 to $4,000 in a 2011, my Glock 22 is sitting at about $700. $900 is you add in th emags, but I have 12 mags.

One of the best Limted shooters I have seen used a Glock 35. Use what you like, don't worry about what everyone else says.

This is an interesting thread, I was paid to shoot the 2011 platform 8 years ago, then things changed in my life and I sold everything. I no longer have the free support of gun and ammo, but it's still in my blood. So now I'm on my own, and I got my hands on a Bobby carver open 17, and I'm still beating my 2011 buds; some of them are really pissed :-)

The S_I guns are great dont get me wrong but I believe alot of guys shoot them because its the COOL thing to do and there buddies have them and want to be part of the IN crowd. They dont want to be going against the grain and be looked down on for shooting a Glock or CZ when you could use a 2011 instead. When I go to a match and just watch how these people act with there guns and its funny to me because 99% of them have similar guns so whats so cool or fun about that they act like look at me and my gun but all I see is everyone's holster looks the same. Sorry for the rant but I like to be alittle different and use what I like and dont like following the hurd just because everyone has one and its the gun of choice. Most of us will never see pro and just shoot matches when we can so just have fun with it and shoot what you like and feel good about it.

Well, I wont really agree or disagree on an S_I is the in gun. But forever, the 1911 based platforms were the ONLY gun. Its probably the greatest handgun design in the history of man. As a result, there are a large group of people who swear by them for various reasons. I will agree that as a Glock Open shooter, I get looked down on by many of the S_I guys I shoot against.....till I beat them and things start to get mighty quiet on the line.

A glock will never shoot like a 2011, but thats the point, isnt it? I shoot a Glock because 1- I like the feel, 2-I shoot well with it, 3- I train well with it, 4- IF something breaks its cheap to repair, and 5- the Glock platform has saved my life. Out of all of those reasons the only one that really matters is #1.

Edited by Noximus03

I have a 35 with custom work done by Taran Tactical. It is extremely accurate and so far very reliable. I shot in a Steel match Sunday, and watched guys with open guns have one problem after another, with magazines, extractors, etc.

At the moment, the gun shoots better than my capabilities, I am sure that in the hands of a Master, it would rock.

I am looking forward to this year of matches

Sometimes it just takes time to find the right combination that works for you. I have seen KC shoot and he is using Glocks from several makers (SJC, Zev) but mainly just tweaks. He got his GM in production with a Glock and I think it had very little done to it. Very much the shooter and lots of practice.

I have found that I love my Glock more than any pistol.

I think that I will spend more time training with a gun that I always look forward to shooting, even though I understand that the trigger is more of a duty type than competition type.

If I beat 10 out of 15 with my Glock at an event, I think I will feel better than if I beat 11 with a Customized ''race gun''.

How many rounds can you fit in an IPSC-legal Glock mag compared to an S_I mag?

How accurate is a Glock compared to an S_I?

How good can a Glock trigger be compared to the trigger of an S_I?

What is the reliability of the individual guns you are comparing?

I think if you honestly answer those questions you will come to terms with the fact that the S_I has far more potential than the Glock. Obviously it's up to the shooter to win the match, but if you want every possible advantage then you will probably not settle on a Glock.

While the Glock is a great gun look at my name lol they are very well advertised much more than some others. Like CZ isnt big in the US but very popular in IPSC. Does that mean its not a good gun no it just means people are not either aware or willing to try something that hasnt been used much over here. In the states the S_I rules all in limited and open but that also doesnt mean there isnt other great limited or open guns on the market. What Iam trying to say is dont look at what everyone else is shooting and shoot what you like. I have been through almost every production gun on the market before making the stop at CZ but thats what I like. I didnt even know CZ existed when I first started shooting USPSA I feel into the what is everyone else using game but had a friend bought one without knowing much about it and when I tried it I had to have one. Then I just bought a G35 to use in Limited but after shooting it I felt it wasnt for me to use in limited, I had a STI Edge also and while it was nice I felt it really wasnt for me but everyone uses S_I but its not for me right now. So made the leap to CZ for a limited gun and love it so far. This is just my opinion and back story take it with a grain of salt. Find what you shoot well and like not what everyone else is using.