Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you be competitive with a glock?

freezingduck

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been shooting Tanfoglio's in limited for the last 3 years or so, but now I will be selling everything off and going with a glock 35. I have had issues with my Tanfoglio's this last year and they are not as user friendly for parts and such. Plus I carry a glock 17 for work and my scores have been falling.

Wrong question ....

It's NOT "can you be competitive with a Glock"?

Sure, you can - you can compete with a 4-shot revolver.

It's, "will I be able to shoot another gun BETTER"?

Yes, you will (Unless you've been weaned on Glocks)..

An STI or good EAA makes it easier for most people

to shoot, better.

And that makes YOU More Competitive. :cheers:

I don't know if that is necessarily true either. As has been said many times, for our purposes we can assume the guns are equally reliable (even if they aren't) and equally accurate for our game, which leaves the trigger.

Yes, a 2 pound SAO trigger in Tanfo, 1911, or CZ feels nice in the gunshop and safety area, but during a stage? A trigger is nothing but a mechanical device that can be learned. I don't believe that they are just inherently better in every way for games, especially until you are at the very very sharp end of the sport.

My complete setup for Limited was probably 1100. I don't ever feel like my 35 is the difference in winning and losing a match.

A more accurate or easier to shoot pistol benefits everyone from beginner to professional. A beginning shooter shoots better with an enhanced pistol vs. an identical pistol that has not been enhanced. I see it on a regular basis.

My buddy keeps beating me with his 2nd hand $300 glock shooting minor and cheap holster and its really annoying! Im running a svi shooting major... if he hadnt snafued a long course he would have been "up there" at last match.

At the same time, gotto love it, he's a good shooter, kinda hard to argue :)

Edited by ano

Interesting thread and opinions.

The shooting we do in the action sports is often low accuracy / high speed shooting which turns it into a speed contest much of the time. Drive hard on a good game plan and manage your mistakes because the "shooting" aspect is actually pretty easy... But how fast you can complete all of it? And can you do it without mistakes / makeup shots?

When the accuracy requirement is made low enough, with targets big enough, or brought in close enough... that's easy. It's all about speed. I make a direct connection with this idea and the main reason Vogel says he shoots the Glock. He can get a better grip to dominate the gun during recoil allowing him to drive a Glock harder and faster. Gripping the pistol as high as you can get, as tight as you can get, and maintaining an aggressive stance goes an extra long way on a Glock pistol because of the different grip angle the design affords and how low the bore axis sits. It doesn't matter that a Glock pistol can't shoot a 1 inch group at 25 yards when a 2011 can, because we aren't shooting those kinds of targets. Occasionally we do see higher accuracy targets but not to that extreme, and they're few and far between when present. Those shots certainly tend to separate the people who can apply quick sight alignment and trigger control from those who apply it really precisely and just as quick, but that makes up 5% of a match, not 95% of a match. For some people a 2011 might make a nice difference on that 5% purely because of trigger mechanic... but that's only 5%.

Personally, I have already made every shot I've ever come across in USPSA or 3 Gun with my Glock but next year I'm switching to an STI. Moving from my $600 9mm to a $2100 9mm. Why? What does this extra $1500 buy me? Certainly not tuned mags which I now have to go find, buy, and bother with! What I expect to get is more mechanical accuracy and a lighter trigger. So I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase based on "performance" when I've already more than met my sports' accuracy requirements, but I'm moving forward with it anyway. Secretly a little part of me is hoping that the higher mechanical accuracy and a less obtrusive trigger will have some unquantifiable result in me missing less, which will result in less makeup shots, which will mean less time overall - but really that's just a lame hope. Instead I'm counting on myself to put in the effort and hard work required to learn and master a 2nd platform, then push myself to new levels of speed and accuracy with a gun that I'm enjoying shooting. The gun is only part of the equation and the shooter is what makes that equation work, otherwise the gun might as well be left in the holster.

So are you shooting limited minor now or production with your glock?

Getting new guns is always exciting. Lord knows I've been through a few. Lol

Actually thinking about grabbing an sti marauder in 40.....

Edited by 3djedi