Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you be competitive with a glock?

freezingduck

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't competed a lot due to work requirements but I have been shooting competitions for a several years. Here are my observations:

a Glock will run unless the operator is messing with it all the time. I don't think I have seen but one Glock fail at a match regardless. They do fail but 90% of the time they fail the failure is due to the owner messing with the gun

It is quite normal to see 1911's not run at every match.

Ammo can always be an issue. Everyone reloads.

The shooter is more important than the tool.

Give a match winner whatever he isn't used to shooting and he won't run as well but it will be close. Most every competitor owns a Glock. Except for a few people this is their go to in a threat situation. Why, they

are accurate, reliable, inexpensive, and safe weapons.

The Glock I compete with was 1/2 as expensive as my 1911 (that I am currently having my smith tweek right now) until now I will run a stage faster with a G21 that the 1911 in 45.

Edited by Why1504

I was not doing well with my 17 and 21 at first but a lot of practice and dry fire and learning to squeeze the trigger and not jerk it I am slowly seeing my times improve and starting to love these handguns as well as their ability to be stripped and worked on total time with them so far 2 years love my glocks I have had mp,s and 1911,s also but always went back to glocks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guy's what kind of accuracy can you get out of a rebarreled and tuned Glock at 50yds.I have had glocks since the first year they came out but never really shot them in match's and I don't think I ever put them on paper at 50 but I've been thinking of putting one together to have another option for 3 gun. Thanks. Mark,

Mark It's my 3gun choice. I can ring steel at

100yrds no problem. A reduced size 2/3 USPSA target. I like the Glock for ease of throwing down and running away along with reliability. Glocks are good pistols they just take a bit of getting used to. My Glock of choice for 3gun is a 17L.

How's the long range accuracy on a G34? Meaning, do you need to upgradge the barrel to make reliable hits at 50 - 100 yards? I realize each shooter's ability will dictate some of this, but compared to a 2011 style setup, do Glocks need "match grade" barrels to improve accuracy?

Personally, I haven't seen the "match grade" affect in a Glock with a "match grade barrel." The reasons I see to get an aftermarket barrel for a Glock are to 1) Shoot lead (and I know you "can" through a factory Glock barrel) and 2) better lock up and a tighter fit in the slide. The accuracy might be better, but I don't think it will be an extremely noticeable increase. The factory Glock 34 can be a very accurate handgun, even out at distance. I think your biggest upgrades to affect accuracy will be better sights and a better trigger.

Personally, I haven't seen the "match grade" affect in a Glock with a "match grade barrel." The reasons I see to get an aftermarket barrel for a Glock are to 1) Shoot lead (and I know you "can" through a factory Glock barrel) and 2) better lock up and a tighter fit in the slide. The accuracy might be better, but I don't think it will be an extremely noticeable increase. The factory Glock 34 can be a very accurate handgun, even out at distance. I think your biggest upgrades to affect accuracy will be better sights and a better trigger.

Great info. You saved me tons of $$$. Where can I send you a check? LOL.

Great info. You saved me tons of $$$. Where can I send you a check? LOL.

No problem! Now that's not to say that some people won't see an increase in accuracy. I'm sure there are some people who have seen an increase with their new barrels, I just haven't seen it myself. I think your money can be better spent on upgrading your Glock than spending it on a new barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

Throughout the 90s I shot USPSA. I ran a Glock 21 (my duty gun), a colt 70 series (another duty gun), a Para P16 as well as an early Kimber Custom.

What I found is that I personally shot the Glocks better. For slow, precision fire I did better with a 1911, but for shooting fast, managing recoil, transitioning between targets etc, I simply did better with Glocks.

Now, after a long hiatus I am returning to the sport, and once again finding the Glock works better (for me). I actually like the Glock trigger set to a nominal 3#s.

I doubt I will ever be a grand master, no matter what gun I choose, unless an ammo fairy delivers a couple of connex boxes full of ammo as well as some free time to actually shoot more than a few hours a month.

Point being, go with what works for YOU and don't look back.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the Aftermarket barrel unless you shoot a lot of lead. Just get some good sights sevigny or dawson and if you want a great trigger get a vanek classic kit. Bob Vogel kicks everybody's ass with a Glock that has a Stock Barrel, aftermarket trigger and sights.

To the subject of the OP....No, it is impossible, no way no how. Bob Vogel and Dave Sevigny are mythical figures. Our own Flexmony's GM card was bought and paid for with a Glock but it is a fake one. Again, can one be competitive with a Glock? No!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have shot IDPA for about 3 years and just started shooting USPSA this year. This weekend I will be shooting my first USPSA sanctioned event. I started out shooting a Glock 35 that I had setup very well, but thought I was missing something buy not having a super race gun. I purchased an STI Edge and have not been able to shot it as well as my Glock 35. I can get a better grip on my Glock. This weekend I will be shooting my Glock 35, but I am not giving up on the Edge yet.

I've bought a Gen4 34 last year and it took me some time to set it up, the way I like it. But now I really enjoy it and it shoots very nice and accurate. I had some problems with the Sevigny sights and seemed like the .150 notch was a bit to wide for my eyes and the trigger was gritty and took some sweet time to 'fix'. But Heinie Classic Glock sights fixed the sight problem for me (the slightly narrower notch seems to make a big difference for me). A gen3 trigger bar with a Zev v4 connector changed the trigger in a way that is better than I hoped for and a ISMI 13 pound recoil spring makes it cycle how I like it........

Before this gun I used to own a 9mm STI Edge, but the heft didn't suit me. Switching to the Glock works for me, but (I think) for most shooters a 2011 is easier to shoot well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Edited by pevadijk

• 1 year later...

Can you be competitive with a Glock? Yes. Because 99% of competition is skill set based and not equipment based. So you have mastered pistol fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control, and you understand reloads, transitions, splits, draw time, reliability, accuracy (as Flexmoney already said) and stage math and stage engagement.

Can you do better with a STI? Maybe, the only way to know is to run the stages back to back. Can you turn a Glock into an STI? No, never, only the 1911 has the short reset trigger because of the design. Can you make a Glock malfunction ? (not ammo related), yes but it takes alot of work.

Mark It's my 3gun choice. I can ring steel at

100yrds no problem. A reduced size 2/3 USPSA target. I like the Glock for ease of throwing down and running away along with reliability. Glocks are good pistols they just take a bit of getting used to. My Glock of choice for 3gun is a 17L.

Video on the 100yd steel please.

Wrong question ....

It's NOT "can you be competitive with a Glock"?

Sure, you can - you can compete with a 4-shot revolver.

It's, "will I be able to shoot another gun BETTER"?

Yes, you will (Unless you've been weaned on Glocks)..

An STI or good EAA makes it easier for most people

to shoot, better.

And that makes YOU More Competitive. :cheers: