Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Sight in Your AR?

Lifeislarge

Finally got my Aimpoint mounted to my rifle and it's time to sight it in. Given the cost of ammo these days I'd rather not spend 30+ rounds on getting it sighted in. It was recommended to me to get a laser bore sight to expedite the zero. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Are some lasers better than others? OR should I suck it up and do it the old fashioned way?

Do like the bolt gun shooters do...remove the bolt, clamp the top end down so it won't move, and view through the barrel to a target spot downrange. Then without touching the top end, view through the scope...adjust scope as necessary to bring your dot/crosshairs on the spot you have seen through the barrel. This will get you on paper first shot...Then finish up using your old fashion style to zero it in.

The laser boresighter works great too. That's what I now use for pistols and rifles. My open pistol lost zero 2 weeks ago (lock screw loosened). When I got home I slide in the boresighter and it was definitly off...readjusted, went to the range, and back on zero now.

I start with the “original” bore sight.

Put the upper (minus the bcg) in a padded vise, find an object though the bore (farther, the better) and dial your dot to the object.

Then head to the range with a trusted spotter, pick my zero target and dial it in. Our range has various sized steel at 200 & 300yds. It shouldn’t take more than 10rds if you both do your job. Then confirm POI on closer targets.

On an AR or bolt gun... pull the bolt out... get a rough zero with the scope while looking through the bore at the target.

Set up a large piece of cardboard at 25yds. Place dot in middle. Shoot two shots at dot. Adjust scope so it will hit the dot, 1 shot to confirm.

Move out to zeroing distance (100, 200yds?) Shoot two shots at the same dot. Adjust scope so it will hit the dot, 1 shot to confirm.

Thats how I zero all my rifles. Works no problem.

The key is to start really, really close. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys try to "sight in" their gun they just threw a scope on at 100yds on a 12" circle target. They'll dump 20rds down range and try to adjust based on where they see the dust fly, which is typically FEET off the bullseye.

Mike.

I like to start off close - like 25 or 50 yds. Much easier to get it dialed in. Then out to 100 or 200 for fine tuning

My method also. I recently put an Aim-point on my carbine. It was on paper right out of the box at 25 yards, now sighted at 50.

yup, agree w/ all the others on pulling the bcg and sighting down the bore to get you started. recently finished an upper and put on a 1-4 scope. I didn't even use a vise, just set it on the bench at the range. Got me w/in 2" at 50yds for the first couple of rounds. knowing the moa/click I was dead on w/in 5 rounds and another 5 to verify... so ~10 rounds total at 50 yds and I was done, then moved to the 300yd line to test my holds and ballistic calculator results for my scope's stadia.

-rvb

one other trick I use. Fire one shot at a fairly close range (50 yards) I use a large piece of paper with a paster in the center. Then while holding the same point of aim have someone adjust your scope to the point of impact. You are now boresighted. I use a 100 yard zero, I have a Leupold Mk IV with turrets I adjust for elevation at farther ranges

Edited by lppd4

I put up a huge B 27 target at 25 yards and flip it around to where its the white side and I put a red dot in the middle. I fire one round and then make a correction. remember you move the scope 4 times as many clicks as you do at 100 yards. I get the rounds zeroed just an inch an da half low or so at 25 and then I move the target to my preferred zero range for which every optic I am using generally either 100 yards or 50 yards. That is when I fire 3 shot groups to finish up. It generally only takes me 10 to 12 rounds to get dialed in this way. At 25 yards you only need to fire 1 shot per correction as your not going to be having flyers at this range.

Edited by Alaskapopo

Yup, sight down the bore and adjust. 50 yard out ipsc target, white out, with blaze orange target dot pasted to center. Then move out to 100 yd. if you aren't on the target, save your ammo. You got bigger issues

If I have either the irons or a red dot already sighted in, then I align the dot on top of the front sight.

If i am starting from scratch with neither sighted in, I put a couple rounds on paper (usually just 1 at a time) at 25 yards and move the sights until I approximate my 100 yard zero (2 inches or so low at 25 yards). Then I confirm and fine tune at 100. If I'm lucky I can zero in less than 10 or 15 shots.

If you have good technique and are using good equipment, there's no need to shoot 3 and 5 shot groups. If you know your shot is going where you aim, 1 is enough. Confirming the zero is the time to shoot groups.