Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

120pf .45acp revo load

alecmc

Figure I start here and cheat a little of the leg work, I don't own a chrono, borrow from a friend, so it's good to hear some insight first

Looking to see if anybody has any load data for 120-130 power factor load for a 230grain 45acp bullet

5" 625

Clays powder

230gr bayou bullet

I have a 165pf load setup for uspsa, but interested in playing around with a 120pf load for " knockdown steel " events.

Currently using 3.6gr of clays /230 bayo bullet to make 165pf

When downloading the 45 a problem arises from unburnt powder creeping in between the extractor and cylinder which causes a lot of problems. A better bet would be a lighter bullet. I had decent luck with 200 grains copper jacketed with 4.5 clays. YMMV. It has been discussed before but I "could not" find easily with the search function. Good luck rdd

Berrys 185 HBRN, OAL 1.220ish. 4.6gr VV 310. 138ish PF, depending on gun. Crimp .462,,,,,yes, I said .462. with taper crimp.

Try it, you might like it. The 120 PF 230 load is fools gold....been there tried that.....

Good luck,

DougC

I never tried that exact combination, having shifted to Bullseye for powderpuff loads (IDPA ESP with a .45) but 3.0 gr of Clays will be in the ballpark for a nice mild minor load.

As Doug says, power factor below the mid 130s seems not real practical.

Some of the old bullseye shooters loaded very light for 50 foot indoor shooting but warned against loading TOO light and "lobbing" the bullet.

When I have tried powder puff loads in my 625 I get huge shift in Point of impact. Sometimes not having enough adjustment in my rear sight. Anyone else experience this?

The two loads I tried were a 155 SWC and a 185 Berrys Hollow Base. Used Clays and Titegroup. Don't recall the exact data, would have to find my notes.

Thanks, sounds like I should try to get a lighter bullet, 185 sounds good.

really trying to develop a load to use in my 625 , where my USPSA load isnt need. Want something I can utilize for the upcoming PSA shootout in april for revo division.. Thanks again

The big issue you run into going to that PF with a 230 is inconsistent velocities, you have such low pressure that you will see huge variations and could lead to squib loads. Remember a 120 pf for a 230 is only 520 f/s.

I tried the 185 HBRN at 740f/s and still had that problem and didn't like the accuracy past 25 yds. GAP brass would help the velocity variations but don't know about the accuracy.

You can find 150 to 180 lead bullets, both swc and some rn, which would give good velocities at that pf.

You could also try the GAP brass, which I had thought of using with a 152 swc at about 850 f/s for a pf of 129 for NRA Action Pistol. Or a 180 rn at 750 for a pf of 135 for ICORE. Thought of using 45 GAP with Titegroup and try a 185 PRN, maybe the HB again?

The big issue you run into going to that PF with a 230 is inconsistent velocities, you have such low pressure that you will see huge variations and could lead to squib loads. Remember a 120 pf for a 230 is only 520 f/s.

Let's put that in perspective, 120 pf for a 230 grain bullet is 356 miles per hour. The 2010 land speed record for a Suzuki motorcycle is 376 mph, faster than your 120 pf 230 grain bullet.

Alec, that load data I posted is what I used at the PSA last year. It worked pretty good and I got the data from another guy, but found the crimp that made the ammo shoot much better at 25. Find what works best for you.

Good luck,

DougC

Alec, that load data I posted is what I used at the PSA last year. It worked pretty good and I got the data from another guy, but found the crimp that made the ammo shoot much better at 25. Find what works best for you.

Good luck,

DougC

Thanks doug, i'll try something like that.... Do you think I could substitie n310 for some n320 powder? really dont feel like buying another powder right now, i've got at my disposale :

vv n320

clays

titegroup

pskys2 brings up a good point, I have some trailboss powder that I should test out, since it was meant for the slower velocities. It will be a few weeks before I can get to it though

I've tried 3.5gr of Trail Boss with a 230gr LRN, it ran 628fps avg out of my 4". 3.5gr of Clays was pretty close at 640fps avg. Both at 1.250 OAL. Wasn't great accuracy out of either, but not terrible either.

Kevin

pskys2 brings up a good point, I have some trailboss powder that I should test out, since it was meant for the slower velocities. It will be a few weeks before I can get to it though

I've tried 3.5gr of Trail Boss with a 230gr LRN, it ran 628fps avg out of my 4". 3.5gr of Clays was pretty close at 640fps avg. Both at 1.250 OAL. Wasn't great accuracy out of either, but not terrible either.

Kevin

Nice, by any chance do you have info for lighter bullets and TB?

Kevin

Nice, by any chance do you have info for lighter bullets and TB?

No, sorry. I only have 230gr's. I'd be interested to see how a lighter bullet works with TB though. Please post if you get some data.

A long time ago I worked up some loads for shooting ICORE (120 pf). Sadly I can't find my notes, but I do remember that I even tried bullets up to 265 grains at 120pf. Shooting steel with the 265s was kind of annoying because of the time delay of the bullet getting to the target. I would hear the hit on the first target around the same time I was shooting at the second target.

Anyway, three grains of bullseye should be right around 120 pf with a 230 grain bullet. I get 130 pf with it out of my 455 Webley, but it's a little bit shorter case.

Realizing you don't want to buy another powder, I still think you should borrow some Bullseye and buy some 185-200 grain SWC for Steel. I'm not a great Steel shooter but using my 625, A load of 3.5 grains with a 200 worked for me. 3.6 with 185's.also works. I just happen to cast 200 grain bullets.

I shot the same load for 25 yard Bullseye competitions.

Buying a eight shot revolver solves many problems.

Just the other day we chronographed five rounds of this pet load out of my 4" S&W 625 yielding an average of 609 fps for a power factor of 121.8:

3.6 grains of Clays under a 200 grain LRNFP (this is actually a 45 Colt bullet made for cowboy action)

Recoil is mild. People claim to actually see the bullet going through the air. The RNFP bullet works well for speedy reloads. Shame it doesn't make minor. So far it is my favorite 45 ACP load.

Edited by Luv2rideWV

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, over the past few days I've been loading up some different loads to chrono, hopefully tommorow I can get out and test them out.

Going to test:

( All bullets are 185grain LSWC from Missouri Bullet - all I could find and get at a reasonable time right now )

4.0 Clays / 1.25" / .468 crimp

3.6 Clays / 1.25"/ .468 crimp

4.4 N320/ 1.25"/ .468 crimp

4.7 N320/ 1.25"/ .468 crimp

5.2 N320/ 1.25"/ .468 crimp

4.6 N320/1.25"/4.62 crimp

I felt 1.25" was the shortest I could go with the LSWC before it really tapered off on the cone, I left a slight bevel with the bullet protruding to aid in reloads.

Edited by alecmc