Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

Yup. Since that vote (last September), my eyes got opened when I walked around the SHOT show and saw how many manufacturers are building optics-ready carry-suitable guns. Then learned that a variety of Federal LE agencies are experimenting with this. And learned about the Army's next-gen "Modular Handgun" proposal. Etc.

Still not 100% sure a new division is the right thing to do.... but 100% convinced there's "something" here, and open to seeing where it leads.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda correct, SS had their nationals as an independent tournament run by the 1911 society for years prior to uspsa obtaining it,

And nostalgia had a lot to do with it.......

Thank you Gary

I'm right there in the nostalgia zone in more ways than one:)

Would it be a 10 round or 15 round division?

That has not been determined yet… the BOD will be the ones to determine what the criteria is for the provisional division.

FWIW, if it was a 15 round division I would probably shoot my Production gun in it w/o an optic....Unless it was mandatory to have an optic.

Would it be a 10 round or 15 round division?

That has not been determined yet… the BOD will be the ones to determine what the criteria is for the provisional division.

FWIW, if it was a 15 round division I would probably shoot my Production gun in it w/o an optic....Unless it was mandatory to have an optic.

What d_striker said.

OMGZ!!! but you wouldn't be 'competitives'!!! You can't have fun or improve if yer not 'competitive'!!! WTH is the matter with you people.

lulz. :devil:

for a name I vote for Minor Optic or Carry Optic, would avoid the word "Production" . I would actually agree with previous post and avoid the word "Factory" also.

suggestion for gun types allowed:

SA/DA semiautos (hammer down at start)

striker fired semiautos

revolvers ok

No SA semiautos

no comps, no ported barrel

slide ride optic ok

no other restrictions on gun choice, will need some type of mag capacity limit i suppose either 10 or 15 I don't care which

No Production list, No Factory list of allowed guns. Much easier on RO and RM to not have lists.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

Interesting the pro ops guys are already fearing the 1911. The #1 selling pistol in America, and it cant be in a stock type class, because why?

So you support allowing 1911s in Production as well?

That's how I would do it. Screw these $2500 unicorn guns. Buy an RO or a Trojan, buy mags, go shoot. Or whatever. It's more about shooting than equipment imho.

Edited by motosapiens

Interesting the pro ops guys are already fearing the 1911. The #1 selling pistol in America, and it cant be in a stock type class, because why?

I do. If it's an off the shelf 1911 with little to no mods (no magwell, extended mag release/slide stop etc). Why not, it's a Production gun?

That's how I would do it. Screw these $2500 unicorn guns. Buy an RO or a Trojan, buy mags, go shoot.

So combine SS with Production? And then why not merge that with Limited right? So just 2 divisions, Limited and Open? But then those Limited guys would really just be hiding in Limited and afraid they can't be competitive with those Open guns so they don't deserve their own division either. So just one division, Open, for everyone? Just trying to be sure I understand your position...

Obviously this is not a serious post, but seems like along the lines of what some have been saying, just taking it to the extreme.

That's how I would do it. Screw these $2500 unicorn guns. Buy an RO or a Trojan, buy mags, go shoot.

So combine SS with Production? And then why not merge that with Limited right? .

because mag capacity.

i'm not seriously proposing to merge prod and ss, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea. What you gain from a 1911 on the first (sa) shot you give back on skinny magazine reloads. Of course many 1911's have already been customized beyond what is ok in production, but then apparently so have many production guns, lol.

I think if you had a 15-round capacity in purse-carry-optics or whatever its called, there would be no reason to exclude 1911's. It might allow more participation even tho people would know they were at a capacity disadvantage for some stages.

But whatever. I just shoot what I shoot. All divisions are hider divisions. :devil:

Make two divisions open and limited. Production has past the point of no return with the stock 2 and CZ's. The pay outs or prizes would be better because they would not be spread over all of the divisions. Pay out only division winners ABC.

This would also increase competition with more gooder shooters in one field. Over time bringing up everyone's overall ability.