Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You Could Only Keep One......

I'm looking for honest answers and am really having a hard time with this decision. Due to the lackluster economy, business slowing down to a crawl, and virtually no decent job prospects, I am going to be forced to sell one of my presses within a month unless something changes drastically. I am blessed to own two of the best reloading tools on the market today, and letting go of one of them is like having to choose between siblings. So here's the crux....

I have an RL1050 which is in like new condition but set up for .45 which I don't shoot, so a caliber conversion to .40 would be necessary (I have the dies) at a cost of around $120. If I kept the 1050 I would obviously limited slightly in what I could load and it would probably end up just being a dedicated press. I own several calibers that I might eventually want to load for, those being .223, 9mm, .380, just to name a few. I have both the large and small pistol plates for the case feeder.

Next is the RL550, which is in like new condition. For this I have 5 brand new powder measures, 6 tool heads with powder dies, brand new primer system and powder failsafe, strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle, and three shell plates with pins. I have a powder funnel and pins to load .40 (I have the dies) but would need to buy or swap for a shell plate (no big deal). With this press I could obviously load anything and everything, with the conversions being pretty easy. It's like the bomb.com 550 setup.

If you had to choose between the two, what would you do? It's different from making a purchasing decision as both are long ago bought and paid for, and with all things considered, would probably sell for close to the same amount. The couple hundred either way would not sway my decision.

This is not by any means a classified ad. I am praying that things improve in the next month to where I can keep both, dedicate the 1050 to loading .40 and have the 550 for the rest. But at this point I can't even afford bullets to load anything.

Please, this is a hard enough decision so I would appreciate it if there were no solicitations to purchase. IF and when I decide to sell I will either create a classified ad or sell locally. Thanks, and as always, I value your opinion.

Times are hard for lot's of people now and it's going to get worse, hope your able to recover and get back on your feet.

Right now you could do more with the 550 loading for other guns you may have. 1050 may bring enough to help out for a longer time but needs funds to be usefull.

Times are hard for lot's of people now and it's going to get worse, hope your able to recover and get back on your feet.

Right now you could do more with the 550 loading for other guns you may have. 1050 may bring enough to help out for a longer time but needs funds to be usefull.

I'll be alright. I have no debt and refuse to get in the hole when I have things (luxuries) that I can get rid of if need be. I'd always rather have to replace "stuff" than try to dig myself out of a hole. It wasn't that long ago that having ANY reloading equipment was just a dream. I'm grateful to have this problem.

I'll be alright. I have no debt and refuse to get in the hole when I have things (luxuries) that I can get rid of if need be. I'd always rather have to replace "stuff" than try to dig myself out of a hole. It wasn't that long ago that having ANY reloading equipment was just a dream. I'm grateful to have this problem.

I would keep the 1050. You can easily by a conversion kit here and there as you need. i have 2 Rl's and I can do a caliber change in about 20 minutes. The time savings from loading in bulk then switching calibers is huge.

I am praying things improve in the next month to where I can keep both

Sounds like a short-term problem (hopefully) - I wouldn't see either -

let it "turn around" and all will be well. :cheers:

But, if cash is tight, I'd sell the 1050 - you get more money and you won't

have too much reloading to do until you get more cash - then you can buy

another 1050 ...

Voted for keeping the 550, if it is an absolute last resort and a press must go. With the 550 you can load everything under the sun pretty much. And the 1050 will command a high resale value. Sometimes (like right now, can't get consistent charges of N105 dammit) I miss my 550 after upgrading to the 650.

Thanks for all the input. Poll is showing resounding favor for the 550. One question though, how prevalent is crimped .40 brass? The swager on the 1050 is a real advantage if i happen to have a ton of this stuff mixed in my 7K of brass. The 1050 would also be a better press for loading .223 no? Been thinking that unless the contents of my safe change dramatically, I don't shoot enough 9mm or .380 to have to load in any real volume. These are mainly used in our carry guns which we shoot maybe 100 rounds a month. Better half says keep them both, and have faith that things will change. I love that woman.....

Sell both - you should be able to get new prices based on what I've seen, and then as mentioned you can pick up a nice 650, or another 550, once you get back on your feet. Seems to be a seller's market right now with Dillon gear. Also doesn't sound like you're going to be reloading anything at the moment, so getting full value for your presses would maximize your cash position, and then you can watch for a deal on the press you want to end up with down the line when you're ready to start loading again.

Roger

I wonder how many people voting have ever actually used a 1050.

I don't know but auto indexing and a case feeder sure are nice to have. The RL1050 seems to have less bugs than the 650 as well. If changing calibers was cheaper I'd be more inclined to keep it but damn, it's not!!! The work involved in changing over doesn't phase me, it's all about the dough.

Hope you get to keep both. If it were me, I'd probably want to use the 1050 for the caliber that gets the most use and changeover the 550 for the secondary calibers as necessary.

If you can only keep one, a 550B with caliber conversions is a nice setup...that's what I do.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

It was too late for me to call and confirm that I was spreading misinformation and don't remember who had one and what they couldn't get at the time.

All I found was this thread from '03, looks like at the time you could still get everything just may have to wait for some parts.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7554