Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2013

I had a great time. First time there, hopefully not the last. You guys put on a world class match. The small attention to detail did not go un-noticed by this shooter. Great job! I never found out, what was the mystery with the rubber ducks????

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time. First time there, hopefully not the last. You guys put on a world class match. The small attention to detail did not go un-noticed by this shooter. Great job! I never found out, what was the mystery with the rubber ducks????

Yvette does ducks!!! :goof: Just don't mess with them!!!

Whenever you arrive on a stage and it has the rubber duckies, you know Yvette is there...and don't mess with her either! :surprise:

Denise

Ok I Liked the match and I know that the R.S crew is first rate. getting invited to a dinner party and complaing about the meal is not good maners. Getting invited to a dinner party at First Rate ***** Five star resturant and being asked about the meal by the manager , you sould be polite but honest > rite<? like if one of the dishes was cold.

First Off I said that I liked the match and I will be back. I think every Skill set challenged in the match is an important skill to test.

And keep in mind that I am just an Old Grump guy that is going to fail in some way no mater how easy the task.

I think the match got away from what is its foundation of notatriaty and fell into the drag race speed stage theam.

What I allways liked about the Area 2 and the other SMM3G matches was the leavel of "Demand" they put on the shooter to pay attention. Demand as in having targets from several views that could be shot from more than one window or slot. or the option a fast shooter has of shooting one or more targets before a drop turner gets away.

No drop tuning targets ? not clam shell targets ? no bear trap targets, no low ports . the only wide low port I remember was #3 shogun. I am glad the plastic rifle targets did not come back though.

I am not the sharpest knife in the rack , but the match felt and looked Dumbed Down to me. And I am not going to win or place in the top 10 no mater how hard or easy the stages are.

I would rather be challenged to Succeed on a stage than challenged to Fail on a stage. I would much rather fail at a challengeing stage than fail at Line Walk.

SMM3Gun is a, stand alone national level established match. I hope they look back at what made them great.

I don't want to offend any one, and I was asked for my opinon by management.

Jamie

Edited by AlamoShooter

Excellent match... the stages were very good, prize table was good, and everything ran like a a Swiss watch... except my shotgun. :angry2:

My performance on the other hand, was terrible, mainly because the shotgun just didn't want to run (it ran great at home). My intro to Open was pretty brutal... 62 out of 77... I'm not good, but I'm usually better than that. I have a lot of work to do before CMMG Midwest, but the good news is it's back to the Nova for Rockcastle in less than two weeks! :cheers:

DanO

Yvette does ducks!!! :goof: Just don't mess with them!!!

Whenever you arrive on a stage and it has the rubber duckies, you know Yvette is there...and don't mess with her either! :surprise:

Denise

I'm confused then, what was the mystery?

I think the match got away from what is its foundation of notatriaty and fell into the drag race speed stage theam... What I allways liked about the Area 2 and the other SMM3G matches was the leavel of "Demand" they put on the shooter to pay attention... the match felt and looked Dumbed Down to me... I would rather be challenged to Succeed on a stage than challenged to Fail on a stage. I would much rather fail at a challengeing stage than fail at Line Walk. SMM3Gun is a, stand alone national level established match. I hope they look back at what made them great. I don't want to offend any one, and I was asked for my opinon by management.

Jamie

Jamie

No offense taken. Each year I try to come up with new challenges, and not rehash ideas from the past too much. This year we did have fewer crazy props than in previous years - nobody was strapped into a harness, for which I am sure Denise is profoundly grateful. We also opted at the last minute to forego the slow-to-reset targets (like gravity turners) in order to keep the stages running on schedule. On the other hand, we threw in some new curve balls - a bazooka on Stage 1, swinging clay rifle/pistol targets behind no-shoots on Stage 2, trip mines on Stage 6 (the final body count was 23 I believe), and more swinging no-shoots than ever before.

When designing the stages, I made a conscious effort to give the competitor multiple options for solving the shooting problem - this was something folks said they liked last year. Stages 2, 4 and 11 all allowed the use of different guns at the competitor's discretion, and what I thought would be an easy equipment choice decision turned out to be otherwise when I actually walked to the line to shoot them myself. I hope others found their own decisions to be non-obvious and challenging too.

One thing you can be sure of at SMM3G is that we always keep the competitors on their back foot. Be careful what you wish for... you may just get it next year :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I think the match got away from what is its foundation of notatriaty and fell into the drag race speed stage theam... What I allways liked about the Area 2 and the other SMM3G matches was the leavel of "Demand" they put on the shooter to pay attention... the match felt and looked Dumbed Down to me... I would rather be challenged to Succeed on a stage than challenged to Fail on a stage. I would much rather fail at a challengeing stage than fail at Line Walk. SMM3Gun is a, stand alone national level established match. I hope they look back at what made them great. I don't want to offend any one, and I was asked for my opinon by management.

Jamie

Jamie

No offense taken. Each year I try to come up with new challenges, and not rehash ideas from the past too much. This year we did have fewer crazy props than in previous years - nobody was strapped into a harness, for which I am sure Denise is profoundly grateful. We also opted at the last minute to forego the slow-to-reset targets (like gravity turners) in order to keep the stages running on schedule. On the other hand, we threw in some new curve balls - a bazooka on Stage 1, swinging clay rifle/pistol targets behind no-shoots on Stage 2, trip mines on Stage 6 (the final body count was 23 I believe), and more swinging no-shoots than ever before.

When designing the stages, I made a conscious effort to give the competitor multiple options for solving the shooting problem - this was something folks said they liked last year. Stages 2, 4 and 11 all allowed the use of different guns at the competitor's discretion, and what I thought would be an easy equipment choice decision turned out to be otherwise when I actually walked to the line to shoot them myself. I hope others found their own decisions to be non-obvious and challenging too.

One thing you can be sure of at SMM3G is that we always keep the competitors on their back foot. Be careful what you wish for... you may just get it next year :devil:

I was number 28 on Saturday so body count was definitely higher than that....

Regardless of personal likes or dislikes, these matches take a ton of work and effort to put on. Thanks to the sponsors, staff, stats and everyone else who made it happen.

I felt the stages were drag race stages, and my Chevette did not do great...but they were fun for the most part.

.... no low ports . the only wide low port I remember was #3 shogun. ...

No low ports?! They were all low ports. A couple of times, I was bent over double to shoot my rifle. Did I mention that I’m 6-8? :goof: Crawling under the “barbed wire” was fun

But seriously, great match, great squad, great weather. The team shoot was a lot of fun and I hope it is repeated in the future.

Thanks to all the staff for all your hard work. Thanks to all the vendors for that awesome prize table. Thanks to my squad for their patience. :bow:

What I allways liked about the Area 2 and the other SMM3G matches was the leavel of "Demand" they put on the shooter to pay attention. Demand as in having targets from several views that could be shot from more than one window or slot.

I absolutely hate memory game stages, and I skipped SMM3G several years when it felt like the Area 2 match with rifle and shotgun added.

No drop tuning targets ? not clam shell targets ? no bear trap targets, no low ports . the only wide low port I remember was #3 shogun.

I'm all for more types of shooting challenges, but I enjoyed all the stages this year even if I didn't shoot them all well. I particularly like when I can pick what gun or guns to use on which targets. I want to see more of that.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Thanks to all the Staff, stats and sponsors who put on a really enjoyable match. Your time and hard work is always much appreciated. Great way to start the season.

Several of the stages very good. Like if stage 9 was used next year with seperate activators for each clay target it would be cool, a fast shooter could activate two or more flippers, or a slow guy could activate one at a time.

I was pleased to walk away from stage 2 Watching the video of me on the swinging clays was comical. the target disaperard and my gun fired. target shows -hides , my gun fires. It looked like I was trying to miss.

Stage 2 was my worst of the match , but I still think it was a resonable test and challenge. Kinda like pulling a Bulls tail and thin seeing if you could out run him to the fence. My gun went through the door at 27 seconds and I had a score of 60.87 seconds on my sheet. :goof: I got run over by the Bull, but I still servived.

Several of the stages very good. Like if stage 9 was used next year with seperate activators for each clay target it would be cool, a fast shooter could activate two or more flippers, or a slow guy could activate one at a time.

I was pleased to walk away from stage 2 Watching the video of me on the swinging clays was comical. the target disaperard and my gun fired. target shows -hides , my gun fires. It looked like I was trying to miss.

Stage 2 was my worst of the match , but I still think it was a resonable test and challenge. Kinda like pulling a Bulls tail and thin seeing if you could out run him to the fence. My gun went through the door at 27 seconds and I had a score of 60.87 seconds on my sheet. :goof: I got run over by the Bull, but I still servived.

LOL, that sounds about like my Stage 2 Jaimie. I hit the door at 30 seconds and 18 rounds fired and 50 seconds later when I gave up on that last swinging clay I was at 80 seconds, an empty surefire mag, and 6 rounds in the shoulder of one no-shoot.... Going to war was the wrong thing to do on that stage, but it was fun in retrospect (I didn't think it was much fun at the time)... :)

LOL, I can honestly say I've never encountered swingers like that with a rifle before in regards to stage2. It was actually a pretty fun stage, but it seemed like eternity standing there trying to tag the swingers. Turned a 47s run, but um......5 no-shoots.......meant a 72s total time. Doh.

LOL, I can honestly say I've never encountered swingers like that with a rifle before in regards to stage2. It was actually a pretty fun stage, but it seemed like eternity standing there trying to tag the swingers. Turned a 47s run, but um......5 no-shoots.......meant a 72s total time. Doh.

I saw your video , and you did some very good shooting, I don't think all 5 were on the swinger noshoots. you looked solid through the door.

I thought the stages were good tests of skill. I only loaded my shotgun on two stages which was a nice way to get back into Tactical Scope from Open. (I sucked on both those stages). It's been several years since I went to SMM3G. I forgot what a drag race this match is. I will say one negative thing. While I like speed shoot stages and I think they are a good skills test, I don't think stage 11 should have been worth 100 points. It really weights that stage out of proportion to the rest of the match. Someone said they ran it in 8 seconds. A malfuncion or bobble on that stage could cost a whole lot of match points. The same issue on stage 1 would not have been anywhere near as damaging. If speed shoots are going to be included I'd rather see them 50 points a piece or maybe just put one in 10 and 11 and combine the time for both as a 100 point stage.

Just my take and it's a really minor point. I thought the match was run very well.

The FFL on the other hand. I own several guns by Accuracy Speaks. After the ripoff rates they were charging, I'll never buy another one.

I saw your video , and you did some very good shooting, I don't think all 5 were on the swinger noshoots. you looked solid through the door.

Ah, your eyes are better than you let on. :) I appreciate the positive feedback.

3 no-shoots were at the swingers in the back, but 2 no-shoots were on the 3rd target on the left array at the start of the stage. One of those I called and actually could see it through my scope........didn't realize the 2nd one was there until we scored it. Boooo.

Edited by AustinWolv

I thought the stages were good tests of skill. I only loaded my shotgun on two stages which was a nice way to get back into Tactical Scope from Open. (I sucked on both those stages). It's been several years since I went to SMM3G. I forgot what a drag race this match is. I will say one negative thing. While I like speed shoot stages and I think they are a good skills test, I don't think stage 11 should have been worth 100 points. It really weights that stage out of proportion to the rest of the match. Someone said they ran it in 8 seconds. A malfuncion or bobble on that stage could cost a whole lot of match points. The same issue on stage 1 would not have been anywhere near as damaging. If speed shoots are going to be included I'd rather see them 50 points a piece or maybe just put one in 10 and 11 and combine the time for both as a 100 point stage.

Just my take and it's a really minor point. I thought the match was run very well.

The FFL on the other hand. I own several guns by Accuracy Speaks. After the ripoff rates they were charging, I'll never buy another one.

They were charging for transfers??? WTF?

Its a bunch of work to log in and store prize table guns, I think the fee for FFL to FFL was very fair.

8b8ee4f9-9d19-4aa2-9340-2f5966e9e8de_zps62130865.jpg

this is only part of the line for shooters that won guns. The photo shows only about 25%

Edited by AlamoShooter

Its a bunch of work to log in and store prize table guns, I think the fee for FFL to FFL was very fair.

8b8ee4f9-9d19-4aa2-9340-2f5966e9e8de_zps62130865.jpg

this is only part of the line for shooters that won guns. The photo shows only about 25%

$15 transfer fee sure. $75 to ship a rifle ground and $110 for a handgun on top of that fee? Not so much.