Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 crushing cases....

I did a few searches but came up empty...My 650 (maybe once in a hundred strokes) crushes a case. All the primers are seated fully, so I know I am getting the full forward stroke, but it seams like the case didnt enter the shell plat all the way. The problem is it is so intermittent that I never get to see it happen. I have about 9000 rounds made on it since new, Is this normal or is it time for a rebuild? Maybe just a good cleaning?

Mine does the same thing at the first die. Sometimes the black brass feed tray thing doesn't push the brass all the way forward... or when the black brass feed thing pulls away, the brass slips out of the shell plate and gets smashed.

I did a few searches but came up empty...My 650 (maybe once in a hundred strokes) crushes a case. All the primers are seated fully, so I know I am getting the full forward stroke, but it seams like the case didnt enter the shell plat all the way. The problem is it is so intermittent that I never get to see it happen. I have about 9000 rounds made on it since new, Is this normal or is it time for a rebuild? Maybe just a good cleaning?

When I first got my 650 I had intermittent Problems with 38 special getting crushed in the first station sizing die. The cartridge rims were getting hung up on some but not all of the shell plate flanges and would not seat completely. I solved the problem by filing the cartridge entry rims on the shell plate just rounding them slightly. I used a small diamond file, no more problems.

Mine does that once or twice every 100. If it gets to be more than 3/100, I do a religious cleaning, and make sure the guide wire that drops the finished round is fully seated, and things get better, but I figure I just have to pay a tribute to the brass gods on 1 to 2% of my brass because I can't make it run 100%. Well worth it for a machine that can knock out 700-800 rounds in an hour, though.

BB

Mine does the same thing at the first die. Sometimes the black brass feed tray thing doesn't push the brass all the way forward... or when the black brass feed thing pulls away, the brass slips out of the shell plate and gets smashed.

Same here, 9mm is what I'm running...

Now that I think about it, I did make one change to the press right before this started happening...I did the needle bearing fix to stop powder from spilling out of the cases...

Maybe you didn't turn/tighten down the bolt correctly, when you removed and replaced the shellplate.

I must be the exception to the rule, I rarely if ever have crushed cases on pistol stuff. Maybe a 380 during 9mm will sneaking, but that's about it.

On 223, once in a while the shell track will get enough 'gunk' that it will slow the cases down and then I'll crush one. I think that happened to me 5 times in 2,000?

One thing that I noticed is that if you have any powder spilling it can work its way into the shell plate flange and keep the case from inserting all the way. Having made that a part of my routine cleaning has cut down on the number of crushed cases.

• 2 months later...

The cases must be pressed into the shell plate in the second stage by the spring arm

in order for the case to be held snuggly. If some residual powder granules do not allow the case to seated,

the primers also may not seat properly .

I addition to what other have already stated make sure the brass is getting seated really well in the shellplate. I was getting a crushed case once inawhile and after adjusting that plastic slider forward just a tad, so the case was pushed just a bit futher into the shellplate, it was fixed. Lossen the hex head bolt on the side to make this minor adjustment. It also helps to run Dillon or other "progressinve" dies that have a bit wider opening for the brass. That's all I got....

This will fix 99% of the case crushing, especially in tall cases...

Whidden Gunworls CNC Machined Toolheads

Much tighter fit into machine, and perfect aligment..It fixed my 38SC problems completely. This is a great accessaory for your Dillon machine..

Edited by falconpilot

• 6 months later...

I'm getting every 5-7 crushed cases (9mm) at the powder drop station on my 650. I've noticed powder accumulating around the bottom of the powder drop funnel also. any thoughts? or is it just powder in the shell plate grooves and the buildup of powder at the funnel that is giving me a dbl whammy? I'm constantly using compressed air to try and keep the shell plate clean and wipe off the powder funnel.

thanks

I addition to what other have already stated make sure the brass is getting seated really well in the shellplate. I was getting a crushed case once inawhile and after adjusting that plastic slider forward just a tad, so the case was pushed just a bit futher into the shellplate, it was fixed. Lossen the hex head bolt on the side to make this minor adjustment. It also helps to run Dillon or other "progressinve" dies that have a bit wider opening for the brass. That's all I got....

What Trader said! That's in the manual for setting up the press.

Are you finishing the stroke completely? I've noticed that when I try to short stroke my 650, it sometimes doesn't feed the case all the way into station one. I can see how cases could be crushed.

Same as Glk21 said. When I was new to loading I was having this happen every now and then. It happens a lot less now that I have some experience on it.

No on the short stroke. Re-adj. The black plastic cam (sorry, don't know the proper name) at station 1, no more problems. Thanks all.

This here is the fix. Check the cap screw that holds the ramp block make sure it is tight. Adjust with a fired empty case in station 2 with the lever forward as if seating a primer. That is what controls the insertion depth into station 1.