Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 crushing cases....

I'm experiencing crushed cases, but only in .45 ACP. I've ran 3K of 9mm this month, no crushed cases. Switched to .45 and I've been averaging about 1% or so until last night where I had a run with 5 crushed cases in 50 strokes. I probably averaged close to 5% crushed in the last 2 nights.

I noticed that the crushed cases were 90% Federal and those federal cases seem to want to rock back and forth a lot in the shell plate compared to others that didn't crush. The shell plate is clean, the black plastic "case pusher" thing is making good contact (even on 9mm cases), the "case pusher" track is greased and moves freely. Cases with a really deformed mouth (they don't even fit through the case feed bushing), cycle through just fine. But the crushed ones are always catching on the outside edge like they aren't in the shellplate far enough or are leaning out.

I'm running out of ideas. Maybe I just need to tear everything apart, clean it, grease it, and put it back together?

I was having problems with cases not fully inserting into station 1 (9mm). I was told to "pack" grease under the station one locator slide. It sounded completely unrelated, but after packing with grease I've been 100% for 20K rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard you have to adjust the mechanism when you push the handle forward to seat primer. There I read it in the manual. I just got mine so I'm still working out all the little quirks. And figuring out what is what.

Nealio, as Razorfish said, make sure the station 1 locator has grease under it. Also, check your camming pin adjustment. If the case enters the shell plate too soon, sometimes it will cause less than desirable alignment in station one. Operate your machine while concentrating on how the case is inserted into station 1 and how the camming pin position / adjustment effects it's location in station 1. I know it's something I took for granted and it makes a difference! It also smooths out the shell plate travel once properly adjusted!

I'm getting every 5-7 crushed cases (9mm) at the powder drop station on my 650. I've noticed powder accumulating around the bottom of the powder drop funnel also. any thoughts? or is it just powder in the shell plate grooves and the buildup of powder at the funnel that is giving me a dbl whammy? I'm constantly using compressed air to try and keep the shell plate clean and wipe off the powder funnel.

thanks

This is the problem I have started having with about the same percentage of crushed cases. I hate losing the primer as much as the case.

I'm getting every 5-7 crushed cases (9mm) at the powder drop station on my 650. I've noticed powder accumulating around the bottom of the powder drop funnel also. any thoughts? or is it just powder in the shell plate grooves and the buildup of powder at the funnel that is giving me a dbl whammy? I'm constantly using compressed air to try and keep the shell plate clean and wipe off the powder funnel.

thanks

This is the problem I have started having with about the same percentage of crushed cases. I hate losing the primer as much as the case.

I may be out of line here but do any of you when destroying a case reuse the primer? Is there any downfall to deprime a live primer other than risk and reusing it? I just ask because I've tried it a handful of times and it seems to be ok. I always wait for the boom but then the primer pops out and bam I'm back in business. Just a question. I try not to get into the habit of things like this for safety reasons and would never do it with other people around for safety reasons but I felt the need to experiment.

I crushed plenty of cases. I found when all else is greased and adjusted properly, high speed results in two issues. Short stroking and I actually out speed the cam insert slide.

This happens on my universal depriming setup when I go crazy.

After I polished the locator ramp angles and normal speed is used the problems are non existent.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by Prebaned

I crushed plenty of cases. I found when all else is greased and adjusted properly, high speed results in two issues. Short stroking and I actually out speed the cam insert slide.

This happens on my universal depriming setup when I go crazy.

After I polished the locator ramp angles and normal speed is used the problems are non existent.

Polish locator ramp angles? Why and what exactly

I may be out of line here but do any of you when destroying a case reuse the primer? Is there any downfall to deprime a live primer other than risk and reusing it? I just ask because I've tried it a handful of times and it seems to be ok. I always wait for the boom but then the primer pops out and bam I'm back in business. Just a question. I try not to get into the habit of things like this for safety reasons and would never do it with other people around for safety reasons but I felt the need to experiment.

I've thought about it, considered the unnerving *Crack* and subsequent "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!????" from the Missus if one did go off, as well as the fact that the primer cost me $0.03 - and toss it. :mellow:

Edited by blujax01

hyte2upa.jpg

Just the 45 angles where the case is first entered into the locator. Some cases with beat up extractor groves were hanging up.

Edited by Prebaned

So I watched my press more closely and 95% of the crushed cases were inserted all the way into the shell plate, but were "leaning" outwards. Seems like there is a LOT of room for that rim to rock in my shell plate. The cases don't seem stable in there. I caught a few before I crushed them, lowered the ram a tiny bit and tried to go up and they still caught. Then if I pushed on them slightly so they were truly vertical they entered the sizing die fine. My other shell plates hold the case rim much tighter. This this normal for a .45 shellplate?

hyte2upa.jpg

Just the 45 angles where the case is first entered into the locator. Some cases with beat up extractor groves were hanging up.

Good info will have to remember this if I run into issues

Thanks

Is it as simple as cleaning powder from the grooves in the shell plate? Particles do get caught up in there from time to time.

I'd check the groove right after a shell would catch and I wouldn't see anything come out when I scraped it with a dental pick.

Is it as simple as cleaning powder from the grooves in the shell plate? Particles do get caught up in there from time to time.

I'd check the groove right after a shell would catch and I wouldn't see anything come out when I scraped it with a dental pick.

Thanks. From the information you presented up to now, I could have guessed that you had already checked but you never know.

Yeah I'm at a loss right now. I've pressed up 10k of 9mm and 5K of .223 without ever crushing a case. My .45 setup for some reason is crushing (or at least catching the mouth) of like 5% of my cases...

The only thing I can think of is the shell plate is out of spec?? :(

I had a similar problem with some .223 brass. The case when inserted in to the shell plate would lean, thus banging into the die. I noticed that on cases (Range pickups) that leaned, the primer was not flush with the bottom of the case. Either over powered loads or they were never set correctly in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

I found that the problem of crushed cases was related to a "click" that happens when the shell holder is moving up, this tiny vibration makes the case move slightly out of position, this minuscule movement of the case is usually not a big deal if you use Dillon dies because they have a wider mouth but the problem became more pronounced when I switched to Redding competition dies. I solved the problem by installing a flat bearing under the bolt that holds the shell plate in place and tightening the bolt as much as possible but still allowing the shell holder to rotate freely.

Edited by Mad Doc

I found no need for a thrust bearing. The free and effective method has work for me. Properly adjust the index block to pull the shell plate to the detent ball instead of the detent ball pulling the shell plate into final position. Dillon make a alignment tool for this that goes on the primer punch. Clip a coil off the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate bolt as tight as you can and still have no drag, one drop of oil under the bolt head and tighten the set screw.

I found no need for a thrust bearing. The free and effective method has work for me. Properly adjust the index block to pull the shell plate to the detent ball instead of the detent ball pulling the shell plate into final position. Dillon make a alignment tool for this that goes on the primer punch. Clip a coil off the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate bolt as tight as you can and still have no drag, one drop of oil under the bolt head and tighten the set screw.

You said a lot there. I found the same to be absolutely true.

Another crucial adjustment that I took for granted was the camming pin for the case insert. If that is adjusted so the case insertion is timed correctly, it does a lot to make the 650 run smoothly.

• 4 years later...

Wow i just had this issue and i tried all these various suggestions and it was something so simple as making sure the black block that pushes the case was seated further forward. I loosened the screw and then pushed it forward before retightening so on the forward downstroke it pushed the case fully into the station 1 position on the shell plate