Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawbacks of the XDm (vs S&W M&P)

WoodyTX

I have a 4.5" XDm in .45 ACP. I'm looking at picking up a 5.25" in 9mm for three gun, and possibly a 3.8" or XDs for CC. I know that this is a competition-focused site, but I feel that y'all will have enough rounds downrange, and personal experience with the guts of the guns, to provide good advice.

Before I go whole hog for Springfield, what known weaknesses or drawbacks have y'all seen in the breed? I know about the striker roll pin, but plan to replace that whenever I replace the springs. The rear frame lugs are polymer, but I understand that the front ones take all the abuse. I'm also having a hard time finding holsters for the pistol, but I understand that some XD holsters work just fine.

Also, which aftermarket shops have a good reputation? I'm impressed with the conversation I had with one of the Springer Precision guys, but any other feedback on them or anyone else is most welcome.

FWIW, the biggest competitor to the XDm is the S&W M&P series. I was not impressed by the ones I handled a couple years back when I was first looking at the XDm, but a number of knowledgeable people prefer them, and my biggest complaint (the trigger) has an aftermarket option now. I also like the ambidextrous mag release on the XDm.

I'm not a Glock shooter; the grip angle isn't right for me. I'm also a 1911 shooter when it comes to pistol shooting, but I would rather have a modern striker-fired carry piece than one that needs regular TLC. (I still haven't figured out the perfect extractor tension.)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Hi Kurt: I have 2 of the 5.25's and they have been worked on by Springer Precision. All I can say is that they are extremely reliable and very accurate when I use the sights :-) About once a month I will have a stove pipe, usually the last round fired on targets where I am moving to another part of the stage. I am pretty sure I am loosening my grip and getting ready to move and/or reload before the last round ejects. Basically a solid pistol. All of my holster are from CompTac and they have several options. Good Luck, I think they are a great pistol.

I have a 5.25 I use for production and use a blade tech holster and love it... This is my 1st Springfield, I've alwayeds been a glock shooter but fell in love with the XDM, I've done the PRP trigger job and really helped the gun. I've also ran roughly 1,500 rounds of "reloads" never one issue. It's a great gun

I'm mainly an M&P guy myself but now have a couple of XDms too. I picked up a 4.5 XDm as a project to see how it matched up with the 4.25 M&P. I put in a drop-in PRP trigger and it's really starting to grow on me. I like it almost as much as the FSS in the M&P. I like the ergonomics of the XDm as well. I only have two complaints on the XDm, 1) is the slightly higher bore. I feel a little more perceived muzzle flip compared to an M&P. 2) is the slide release. I've locked the slide back accidentally a few times with a tight thumbs forward grip. I see that Springer Precision has an aftermarket slide release but I haven't tried it yet.

For defensive use, the XDs is my EDC now. Suprisingly low recoil for the cartridge and very accurate.

other than trying clocks which just did'nt fit my hamhock hands (nothing against them). I was always steel 1911 fan, tried xd45 when they first came out :wub: then xdm45 and last one bought xdm40 s&w and I'm in love with them all, blade-tech holsters work with them, never a problem with any of them with factory ammo, only with reloads till I got that worked out on them. Loading up now to try to return to isps comp. next year :sight: wife wants a s/w mp in 9mm to carry, we'll see how she like that and get back to ya. good luck :bow:

I have two XDm 9mm and one XDm in 40. The guns run flawless, never had a problem with any of them. The 9mm that I shoot in production and the 40 I shoot in Limited were both built by Rich at Canyon Creek Customs. The trigger work he does is second to none, and he sells complete guns on his website........

Jeff

I had been a GLOCK shooter for years. 17, 34, 35....I shot them all quite a bit over the years. I have bigger hands and a very high grip, so consequently I get the dreaded GLOCK bite from the slide. I tolerated it for a long time, but eventually just got sick of it. Bleeding everytime I shot just got old. So, that got me looking elsewhere. When the M&P came out I was very excited. It felt good in my hand, looked good, handled good, and best of all it had a big old beavertail that kept my hand from getting ripped up. Problem was it wouldn't shoot worth a damn with any of the ammo I loaded for it. I tried a handful of different loads (all of which worked and shot very well from my GLOCKs) and couldn't find a formula that shot to my liking in terms of accuracy. I got rid of that first M&P and went back to my GLOCKs. Then I would read something about someone here on this forum who was getting good results from their M&Ps, shooting nice little groups, and I would go out and buy another M&P....only to be disappointed again by its accuracy. Bottom line is I just never had much luck with the M&Ps. About this time last year I had the opportunity to shoot a buddy's 5.25 9mm after a match. It was love at first press of the trigger. I went through part of one of the stages we shot during the match, and one of the targets was a head shot at about 17 yards. The pistol swung onto the target so nicely and the trigger was so nice (it was a Springer Precision trigger BTW) I had two nice tight A zone hits in the head before I knew it. As soon as I had the bucks I got one of my own from Springer Precision. I love my 5.25! It has been reliable, accurate, and just a joy to shoot. I shoot it in Production mainly, but with 19+1 capacity I have a good time shooting Limited minor with it too. In my humble opinion, there is no question as to which way to go. Get yourself a 5.25 suped up by Springer or one the other smiths who do awesome XDM work and don't look back.

I have a 4.5" XDm in .45 ACP. I'm looking at picking up a 5.25" in 9mm for three gun, and possibly a 3.8" or XDs for CC. I know that this is a competition-focused site, but I feel that y'all will have enough rounds downrange, and personal experience with the guts of the guns, to provide good advice.

Before I go whole hog for Springfield, what known weaknesses or drawbacks have y'all seen in the breed? I know about the striker roll pin, but plan to replace that whenever I replace the springs. The rear frame lugs are polymer, but I understand that the front ones take all the abuse. I'm also having a hard time finding holsters for the pistol, but I understand that some XD holsters work just fine.

Also, which aftermarket shops have a good reputation? I'm impressed with the conversation I had with one of the Springer Precision guys, but any other feedback on them or anyone else is most welcome.

FWIW, the biggest competitor to the XDm is the S&W M&P series. I was not impressed by the ones I handled a couple years back when I was first looking at the XDm, but a number of knowledgeable people prefer them, and my biggest complaint (the trigger) has an aftermarket option now. I also like the ambidextrous mag release on the XDm.

I'm not a Glock shooter; the grip angle isn't right for me. I'm also a 1911 shooter when it comes to pistol shooting, but I would rather have a modern striker-fired carry piece than one that needs regular TLC. (I still haven't figured out the perfect extractor tension.)

Thanks for any and all advice!

I have about 80,000 rounds through my 5 XDs. About the only issue I have run into is trying to run lighter than normal ( around 130 PF ) loads for cometitive purposes. After much experimentation, I have lightened the slide on my XD 45 and am able to run about a 134 PF with a 14# recoil spring. I use a small machined collar on my recoil rods to pre-load the spring to insure the pistol goes fully into battery for both my 45 and 9mm. My 9mm is happy at a 130 PF right now, with about 1500 rounds down the pipe since reducing the power factor.

All my guns feature Springer Precision parts, and the only modification I have to make to any of them is too taper the bottom of the trigger bar on my 9mm to prevent contact between the mag and the bar that would prevent trigger reset.

When new, I find that Springfield barrels take more time to get clean than other manufacturers. That seems to dissipate after about 10-15000 rounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had 5 XDM's now....when I started out I bought the 3.8" because it looked neat (yeah yeah I know), had that in .40 and 9mm, sold those off and got 4.5's....

I run a stock one except the sights at competitions and I am consistantly top 1-2. Going to do some trigger work on it soon and hopefully get even better.

I love mine, fits my hand the best out of all the pistols I have had so far (I shot Glocks previously) I have an M&P on the way to try out as well, but so far I love my XDM.

I have 4 XDm's. My son and I both shoot 5.25's in USPSA, he in 9mm and I in .40. Neither of them has EVER given us a lick of trouble and we have thousands and thousands of rounds downrange between the two. Our backup guns are XDM 4.5's in the same calibers, both were used extensively before our 5.25's came along and neither of those EVER gave us a lick of trouble. I own an XD9 that I carried for a good long while, an XD40 that I now carry daily, and an XD45 I carry when I feel like it. Thousands of rounds downrange between those guns and none have EVER given me a lick of trouble.

I guess what I'm saying is that XDs are reliable, good shooting guns that I compete with and trust my life to. Buy with confidence.

I've got about 22,000 trigger pulls on my XDm 5.25 9mm so far this year. It's still young, but so far, 0 malfs. Great price & feature set.

Recommend (in alphabetical order) Canyon Creek, Powder River Precision and Springer Precision. All will do great jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 5.25, I shoot it much better than my M&Ps. My only beef is that I just bought 3 more mags and none of them lock back and Springfield wont sell mag springs.

2 of the 6 XDM 9mm magazines I have needed new springs. Luckily, this was right around the time Springer started to produce them

http://shop.springerprecision.com/category.sc;jsessionid=27970D50207BC218E2277AD417CD55AD.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=4

The XDm 5.25 is a really good gun, in my opinion better than an M&P (or Glock) for Production, especially when talking about the TRIGGER break. It obviously shares a lot of design traits with the M&P; prior to a few weeks ago I knew next to nothing about either but seeing how the slide is removed (identical) and how the sear pivots (identical) it seems one design copied the other. Both are essentially single-action guns with some added trigger take-up to engage safeties - both pivot the sear to drop a pre-loaded striker (instead of a 1911-style hammer).

The XDm gives you flexibility in grip size and pointing qualities (low as a Beretta, almost as high as a Glock, or in between like a 1911) and with a great trigger like the in-house Scott Springer trigger on the XDm I borrowed, you have possibly the best available dry-fire gun. The 1st-stage to 2nd-stage trigger transition happens at the same spot and almost same pull weight when comparing the pull after racking the gun, to the pull after the striker has already dropped. Scott's trigger broke at 34 oz with live striker, 31 oz with down/dead striker. So you can repeatedly pull the trigger in dry-fire and unlike a 1911/2011, not abandon the pull weight and staging of the live-fire trigger.

Downsides are the same as any polymer gun - they're extremely light esp. if you're accustomed to any sort of 2011 gun - you'll be 10-20 ounces lighter than most every steel or modular LTD or Open gun. The steel mags catch a little bit in the plastic magwell until you smooth all the front & top edges of the mag with a file or Emory cloth. Also may need to smooth the release notch in the front side of the mag so hitting the mag release (not my favorite design) is a little more quick & easy.

The 5.25 is very accurate and very reliable, I had NO malfunctions of any kind with any ammo; my match ammo ran just over 135 power factor. The adjustable rear sight should be standard on any gun marketed to match shooting, very good sights. What can you say, it's designed by Rob Leatham. I like the gun a lot. Having said that I'm waiting on the delivery of my new (heavy) CZ Shadow Target. HTH

I have a XD tactiacal I bought from Canyon Creek as a package and I cant think of any issues. I did limp wrist it in a macth which did casue a malf. Had it for a number of years and a LOT of rounds. My 5.25 from Springer Precision with their trigger in 9. It was not !00% with MG 147s but seems to run Precision Delta 147's without issue. I have a 4" stocker for carry which has NEVER malfed with reloads or premium ammo. I want a XDs badly but dont have the spare coin for one at the moment. I dont even own a 1911 anymore. Shot a couple M&Ps and no complaints but Im all in for the XD platform.

Edited by Kent Grewe

My XDM has well over 10,000 rounds (all reloads 130ish PF) and has NEVER jammed. My striker retaining roll pin broke once during dry fire. No other problems. 3lb Springer trigger job rocks too! No complaints. I just like my 1911 and G17 more.