Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dear CZ, please make magazines that work...

Lee G

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In something like 10k rounds with the factory mags, I have to do anything like that. *knocks on wood* And I'm usually pretty good at breaking things.

Maybe it's because I don't intentionally shove the basepad forward really hard so as to end my reloads with a flourish. :roflol:

I can do it with those also. The 15 round Mec Gar with the metal base pad and the 19 round Mec Gar with the lever lock work. If they would coat the 15 round mag base pad with rubber and put the AFC follower in they would have a winner.

I don't reload like that, but we have one Master and a couple of other guys in our club that have issues with the mags. Bottom line s it shouldnt be an issue for anyone. I also tried to recreate it with beretta, XD and Glock mags unsuccessfully.

Edited by Lee G

owwww.

had to go try that..

can't make it happen.

have 8 Sp01 mags and tried each about 20 times..tried to hold the gun high and at the same angle as in your video..

all I got was a sore hand.

sorry you are having this issue.

and truthfully, whether the gun is $400 or $1200 has nothing to do with the issue.

I have 7 mags and the same gun. Can't get mine to do it. (wonder how many folks with CZs will have sore hands in the next day or two?)

Has this ever happened during a stage? We have a ton of CZ shooters here and I have never seen or heard of that happening. Bummer.

I know what your problem is. If that is a plastic base with the base plate that has the cut and bend tab instead of the SP-01 solid round tab it will do this. The cut and bent metal base plate will gouge out a groove in the plastic base and make it easier for it to come apart.

Okay, I rewatched your video and saw that you have the round tab plate. Is this the only mag that does this? You may need to get new plastic bases and change your reload technique.

Jason

Edited by kfd147

As far as I can tell this only happens on magazines after 2011. There are a few shadows at my club and my friends and I have seen it happen from D to GM shooters. I love the shadow and have said many good things about it. However it is what it is. The magazines are crap whether you have spring problems or they fly apart on reloads. I really wish CZ would take a serious look at their magazines.

As far as I can tell this only happens on magazines after 2011. There are a few shadows at my club and my friends and I have seen it happen from D to GM shooters. I love the shadow and have said many good things about it. However it is what it is. The magazines are crap whether you have spring problems or they fly apart on reloads. I really wish CZ would take a serious look at their magazines.

LOL, dude I don't know what you guys are eating where your from but STOP! :roflol:I run the crap out of mine and I have never, ever, never ever done anything like that before. I don't use the SP01 mags because I like the small AFC mags better but I've also got about 6-7 shadows floating around here around me and I've never seen that happen to any of them either. Maybe there is a bad section of mags? I can't remember when I got mine but I know there has been several get transferred from Shooters Connection this year and they don't have that issue either.

ETA: mind if I post that on my facebook and see if anybody else has that issue?

Edited by steel1212

The mags I bought with my shadow did not work reliably until I bought the +10 springs. After that they have been 100%.

Yeah that is the only issue I had with the SP01 mags, it seems the springs are a little weak or short. I run them in my 3 gun setup with +10% springs and they run 100%. Then again there are guys that don't change anything and they run fine. Then again I do shoot a little bit.

I'm not a CZ shooter, but I shoot at the same club as Lee G.

Ive seen this happen to many different shooters at our club, and I myself have caused it to happen while reloading a friends CZ.

I think the 10% springs would probably help, but it sucks you have to "fix" a $50 mag.

I dont buy the "wrong technique" thing. A magazine should not fly apart upon insertion, regardless of the technique used.

I'm not a CZ shooter, but I shoot at the same club as Lee G.

Ive seen this happen to many different shooters at our club, and I myself have caused it to happen while reloading a friends CZ.

I think the 10% springs would probably help, but it sucks you have to "fix" a $50 mag.

I dont buy the "wrong technique" thing. A magazine should not fly apart upon insertion, regardless of the technique used.

I don't know of a mag out there that doesn't need to be "fixed" at some point. I've fixed 20$ glock mags, I've fixed 120$ STI mags. If your gonna play your gonna pay.

Not at all, I genuinely just want CZ to address the issue. Another friend of mine spoke with one of the Mec Gar designers and they were unaware of the problem. In all seriousness, we have about 45 Shadows at my club. Magazine issues are more noticable due to the density of equipment.

Not at all, I genuinely just want CZ to address the issue. Another friend of mine spoke with one of the Mec Gar designers and they were unaware of the problem. In all seriousness, we have about 45 Shadows at my club. Magazine issues are more noticable due to the density of equipment.

The only thing I can think of is that the springs are weak and when you smack it home the enertia of that causes the spring and spring plate to jump up and allows the pad to come off.

The only thing I can think of is that the springs are weak and when you smack it home the enertia of that causes the spring and spring plate to jump up and allows the pad to come off.

Yep, thats the problem.

You cannot make the pad slide off while holding the mag in your hand. Only after the inertia of the spring and plate cause the plate to jump will the pad slide off. A stronger spring SHOULD cure this, but it happends with 10% springs and loaded mags (should be PLENTY of force on the plate with rounds loaded).

And I hear ya on the "fixing" mags thing. Lord knows Ive spent enough money on "improving" my STI mags, but they didnt fly apart when they were new either.

Yep, thats the problem.

You cannot make the pad slide off while holding the mag in your hand. Only after the inertia of the spring and plate cause the plate to jump will the pad slide off. A stronger spring SHOULD cure this, but it happends with 10% springs and loaded mags (should be PLENTY of force on the plate with rounds loaded).

And I hear ya on the "fixing" mags thing. Lord knows Ive spent enough money on "improving" my STI mags, but they didnt fly apart when they were new either.

If it does it with 10% springs while loaded I don't know what to fix it as that is the design that probably 75% of all mags out there use that I know of. The only other option would be to have some sort of set screw or pin.

If 10% springs don't solve the problem, next step would be to find away to afix the pad to the mag.

so given that the mag(s) do not work for you. have you tried other mags? other basepads? other springs?

I have the exact same problem with all 6 of my factory cz mags. two things i have found is when loaded with only 10rnds the spring pressure put on the pad to hold it on is simply to weak. load your mags to 19 and you will be able to load ammo in your gun. but shooting production you either have to just get new mecgar mags or seat your mags very very lightly. *don't smash the mags into the gun like you would do with all other magazine. i know this sucks when you spend 1 sec reloading only to have all of the BBs sprung out on the ground. it is hard to get out of this hard loading habit from how you used to force a 20 mag into your limited gun.

If 10% springs don't solve the problem, next step would be to find away to afix the pad to the mag.

so given that the mag(s) do not work for you. have you tried other mags? other basepads? other springs?

i tried adding a detent in the back of the pad to help keep the base pad affixed on the mag and still be able to disassemble and clean easily(detent was formed by melting the back of the base pad making a dent or knot). this route had little effect. just have to get the mecgar ones. i know it sucks because no one said the mags were not very good before you bought 6 of them.

I have 7 mags and the same gun. Can't get mine to do it. (wonder how many folks with CZs will have sore hands in the next day or two?)

Has this ever happened during a stage? We have a ton of CZ shooters here and I have never seen or heard of that happening. Bummer.

once i fix this problem with my cz you will see me shooting it a lot more. trying to compete with cody! and yes i have busted them open on tuesday night steal and durning a few weekend matchs trying to remember to go soft when seating the mag.

cz is awesome, the mags .... eh

Its been several years, but the two factory mags that came with my gun remain in the box, unused. I went straight for 16 and 19 round Mec-Gars; and never looked back. I do find that the floorplates on the 16rd mags are sometimes bent from hitting the ground after a reload but the magazine stays together (and works well).