Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this a 180 ? was this legal ?

RippSpeed

Heres a stage I did sunday ... I had a conversation/debate with a buddy and he said that what I did was considered a 180 ... I said how could it be 180; when the gun was still in my holster and you could face up range with the gun in your holster and loaded chamber ...

Is this a 180 and is it a legal ???

heres another view:

Edited by RippSpeed

I'm guessing your buddy is talking about having your hand on the gun while facing uprange?

As long as you don't draw while facing uprange, you're fine.

Yes and no... he said that since the buzzer when off you couldn't do that and would be considered a 180. And it was considered a 180 because I already had my hand on the grip and the buzzer when off ...

I placed my hand on the gun to secure it in the holster. So I wouldn't have it accidentally pop out while facing up range.

I'm guessing your buddy is talking about having your hand on the gun while facing uprange?

As long as you don't draw while facing uprange, you're fine.

I agree.

Nothing wrong with it.

Even better that you kept your hand on the gun while in the holster.

I had to send a guy home because he did the same as you (ran uprange, but without the hand) & his gun fell out.

Take 100 C or better shooters and require them to start that stage the same way you did. I would bet that more than 90 would have also held the gun in the holster as they sprinted up range. The 10 that do not would have at least one DQ if not more after the gun fell out during the sprint.

Yes and no... he said that since the buzzer when off you couldn't do that and would be considered a 180. And it was considered a 180 because I already had my hand on the grip and the buzzer when off ...

doesn't matter of the buzzer went off or not...you ever drew facing uprange...the gun was still in the holster...

I placed my hand on the gun to secure it in the holster. So I wouldn't have it accidentally pop out while facing up range.

looks like you're good to go...

Justin,

Tell your buddy to read the rule book and stop pretending to be a RO.

You were 100% GTG.

LOL will do ... hey Brian need you to come over help me with my 1050 primer / case feed into stage one problem

You were good I would have probibally Kept the race master locked then hit it off on the draw. Anything other than stand and draw I lock the holster especially seated starts or on the battering ram stage in Ohio where it would have been going right past the gun.

No 180 issue at all from what I can see. You can hold onto the gun while its still holstered and be facing up range without violating the 180. As soon as the gun starts to come out of the holster (trigger exposed) the gun is considered "Drawn" and the 180 limitation comes into effect.

Watching the video's I would be more concerned about the club you are shooting at using illegal stages. All of the field courses that were in your video used plastic caution tape as fault line to outline the shooting area. Caution tape is not legal to use for fault line. They need to use fault line out of wood or PVC pipe in order to be legal. Rule 2.2.1.1 defines the requirements of fault line.

No 180 issue at all from what I can see. You can hold onto the gun while its still holstered and be facing up range without violating the 180. As soon as the gun starts to come out of the holster (trigger exposed) the gun is considered "Drawn" and the 180 limitation comes into effect.

Watching the video's I would be more concerned about the club you are shooting at using illegal stages. All of the field courses that were in your video used plastic caution tape as fault line to outline the shooting area. Caution tape is not legal to use for fault line. They need to use fault line out of wood or PVC pipe in order to be legal. Rule 2.2.1.1 defines the requirements of fault line.

"should be..." that type of construction is common at the clubs there and other areas. Arb it they try to give a penalty for shooting outside of fault lines.

The only comment I would make is for the folks reading this...

I'm fairly certain that a number of people drew and then engaged targets and backed up. In fact, that may be what the designer intended. So, in a case like this, where you are going to do something different, it's a good idea to tell the RO so that he/she is not surprised by your action. Colliding with an RO is never a good thing.