Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol for 3 gun?

Zmego

I searched for a similar topic but didn't find anything and I had no idea where to post this and since I own a 1911 I figured I would be safe here.

What pistol for 3 gun?

I currently own a STI Trojan and I am trying to start shooting 3 Gun. However, shooting a 1911 in 3 gun is not ideal and I want to know what people think I should move to. I have been thinking about selling my Trojan and getting an Edge or a similar custom that I can use in USPSA and 3 gun but I wanted to hear if going another route might be a better, more affordable option. Thanks.

For both uspsa and 3 gun if you want to go the 1911/2011 route I would probibally go the 40 route over the 9mm as you can download the 40 to minor PF range for 3gun which dosent have pf and go major in USPSA. Another option is a glock 34, slap some magextentions, sights and a heavy magwell on and run that for 3 gun with 23+1 and no safety to worry about getting bumped off

Edited by EkuJustice

There has not been a major USPSA MG match that has used hit factor scoring (PF) in over a year now, so I would definatley recomend a 9mm. A G35 (.40) with 140mm mags is 19 or 20 +1, not 23. 9mms are 23+1 generally.

A G34, M&P9Pro, XDm5.25, or a FNS are all viable striker fired pistols with no safety lever to get "unengaged" and send you to DQ because the match has poor dump buckets for pistol. There are pros and cons to all of them, but all can be run in USPSA production very competitvely. Best bet is get to a match and find a few people with each, talk to them, try them for speed and at 50 yards and see what feels good to you.

It sounded like he was referring to USPSA pistol not 3 gun as he said USPSA and 3 gun. 9mm is the way to go for a dedicated 3 gun only gun. But if your throwing in USPSA as well, Major is the way to go as the difference in mag capacity between 9mm and 40 isnt worth the lost of points for minor in uspsa.

Try some!

I tried a M&P 9Pro and liked it so much I sold all three of my G35s and bought one for 3Gun. I was going to have a 2011 built with a SVI IC grip for USPSA Limited, but I have been enjoying the M&P so much, I am just staying with one pistol for USPSA Production and 3G/MG.

Pro definitely.

If you like multi gun, then save your $, sell the pro and get a custom 2011.

2011's will have you around $3k or more by the time you get mags and all the other accoutrement.

I see there are a couple Pros in the classifieds. Will you look at that! One is mine. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Magic

I use a G34. Used a 6" SVI in 9MM for yeaaaarsss. Got DQ'd at a major for not having it on safe in a dump area (carpeted). One and only DQ in about 20 years of shooting matches.

Two of the shooters I shoot with got DQ'd for the same thing at a major. Of the DQ's you see in a major match a 2011 off same is probably one of the more common reasons.

Watch video of some of the better and experienced shooters out there using a 2011... when they ground their 2011 they fully unload their pistol. Even when they don't have too.

Don't have to worry about that with a G34 (or any other striker fired pistol).

I started with an M&P Pro .40. Used it for 3G, Limited, and ESP in the occasional IDPA match. It has served me very well. I recently picked up a pre-loved 6" STI in 40, but Im still using the M&P while I get a bit more accustomed to the STI...

I started shooting 3 Gun with a Glock 17, then went to a M&P 9mm 4.25", then a M&P Pro 5" 9mm and now a SV 9mm.

If you can't afford a custom built 2011 or a SV, I recommend a M&P Pro with a trigger job.

In the SV I use Taran Tactical Innovations magazines and they hold 24 +1 rds, reloadable. I think I did one pistol reload at Nationals this year and I don't think I did a reload at all at Superstition. Its nice to start a stage with 25rds in the pistol!

9mm is the way to go for 3 Gun. Less recoil, faster follow up shots, higher mag capacity, cheaper ammo.

Agree with all the above, 9mm is the way to go for 3 gun it shoots well, high mag cap and is cheap to practice with. I started with a Glock 17, then "built" a Glock 35-4, and now shoot a custom built 2011. My Glock 35-4 (my name for the project) was really my perfect 3 gun pistol and I would have no hesitations still running it. It started as a Glock 35 which was purposely bought to build into a 9mm. I knew I was going to get an aftermarket barrel anyways so I got a conversion barrel in 9mm giving me a "heavier" 9mm barrel with an outer diameter of that of a .40 barrel. My thinking was I get a better barrel and I could easier go to major by using the 40 barrel (I did also swap out all 40 specific parts to 9mm, internals etc). I then reshaped the grip, did a reduction and added a beavertail making the fit perfect for me. Add a sub 3 lb trigger job, set of sights, arredondo mag extensions and it was the perfect 3 gun pistol. I could dump it in a box on "safe" it was always reliable, accurate, and mags were never finicky. It is really tough to beat the poly guns out right now, Glock, MP, XDm they are all getting a nice aftermarket parts selection for racing them up and all are very reliable, comes down to what you like best.

Then I got bit by the custom gun bug and it hit hard. i wanted a custom purpose built 9mm 6" 3 gun pistol. I got the pistol of my dreams but I had to pay for it. I have seen my shooting performance increase, in fact recently at a local 3 gun match I got some overall stage wins, first time thats happened. The gun shoots like a dream, recoil, trigger, everything is an improvement. Glocks run, but a well built custom gun wont let you down either, the only down side is I have to worry more about keeping the mags clean, something I never worried about with the Glock. If you can afford a custom build, you wont regret it but know they dont come cheap and it takes a good smith to get the 9mm running well from what Ive heard. My gun has been absolutely flawless and runs how I would expect it to. I find shooting it easier as well as it fits my hand great, the trigger is short and crisp, and the longer sight radius works well even for long shots. At our matches 50 yard steel is pretty common. I am going to be writing a review of my pistol, my thought process, and my experiences but it is taking more time then I predicted. Is it worth it for you? Tough choice, my glock now rides backup or as a loaner to new shooters. Never a bad thing to have more then one gun :D .

Edited by bluepythons

There seems to be a commom theme here. Most people started with the glocks, m&ps and others then ended up buying a 2011. I did the exact same thing. Save your money to get a STI edge in .40 you will be glade you did. Dawson percision makes very nice and reliable 2011's.

There seems to be a commom theme here. Most people started with the glocks, m&ps and others then ended up buying a 2011. I did the exact same thing. Save your money to get a STI edge in .40 you will be glade you did. Dawson percision makes very nice and reliable 2011's.

Do what he said except get one in 9mm.

The only thing .40 will get you in 3-gun is slower follow up shots and less capacity.

.40 is my choice. Yes, you give up a couple rounds in mag capacity, but you have more versatility with .40

Glock or M&P if you are disciplined with either platform. If not, it is easy to get used to a sweet platform like the 2011