Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigar & Pipe...merged thread

3quartertime

Hello: Nobody smokes a pipe anymore? I was just looking for some advice on pipe tobacco brands you guys like. Thanks, Eric

You bet, I do. :cheers:

I really enjoy Cornell & Diehl's Bayou Morning, Virginia/Perique and stoved Virginia. I also enjoy their Old Joe Krantz #126, Burley, Red Virginia ribbon and Perique.

Mainly Virginia based, but when I want some Latakia, I smoke a bowl of Cornell & Diehl's Bayou Night.

Of course all of the above goes great while sipping Weller's 107. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Check out http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/tinned/ and http://www.marscigars.com/about-us.aspx. I used to purchase quite a lot of my tobacco from JR's. But now they charge $2.50 shipping for each 2 oz. tin. If I lived close to them, I'd go there often. Otherwise, I don't use them. Now when you buy a box of cigars, the $2.50 shipping is great.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what would be some cigars to try, first timer, to see how they like?

I like Cigars, but am no expert so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

First, I've found that decent Cigars cost money. Not a ton of money, but cheap is bad. When buying singles, I figure $6 Is the minimum I'll pay. I also won't go over $9 a stick. The law of diminishing returns kicks in. I bring up singles because I just bought a box of the Rocky's I mentioned above for way less than I paid for the single. But I had to kick the tires first.

I like the superiorcigars web site. That's who I buy from. They have a quick guide on what to look for.

I prefer a madaro style cigar. They are the darker ones. I've also noticed that a big, thick cigar "in general" is milder than some of the others. You get more of filler and less of the wrap. Plus the smoke isn't as concentrated. My last batch of Romeo's were 44's and that's about as small as I'll go. The Rocky's I just bought are 60's. That's a thick ass cigar, almost too thick. But the smoke was good enough for me to make the investment.

My recommendation is to 1) ask cigar smokers what they like - and why!!! and then 2) go buy a few. If you don't have a humidor buy 1 at a time and try them out. Spend your $5-$9 and see the differences. Odds are you won't get a crappy cigar at those prices but you will get differences and you'll be able to start figuring out what you like.

I think JR's is a good website too - though you got to hit a local cigar shop and just hang out. Enjoy that. And again I shop superiorcigars.com and have had good success with not only the sticks but ashtray, cutter etc.

Cigars are a killer release for me. And it's a habit I can't force to be more than what it is. One, MAYBE two a week. Very manageable and (for me) good and relaxing. Many smoke cigars for social reasons. That's not me. I most often smoke in my back yard. Alone. When I can contemplate the various ongoings and just hang out.

Hope this helps!

J

Not sure why pipes fell out of favor. I enjoy both and have for many years.

Up until the stupid cigar boom in the mid-90s cigars had fallen out of favor as well. Then very good sticks that had been $3 were suddenly 5x that...if you could find them. The higher the prices went, the more expensive things got. Some makers decided that getting product to market was more necessary than holding quality in line and you saw many of the established brands doing a nose dive.

Then as that cooled off pipes had a mini-boom. This one drove the cost of pipes themselves through the roof but pipe tobacco remains very reasonably priced. There are some incredible blends out there in the pipe tobacco land. McClelland, C&D as mentioned above, etc. I am more of a McClelland fan but have enjoyed some fine tins of C&D as well.

With pipes you have a LOT of decisions to make: aromatic or not, which base tobacco, which condiment tobacco (latikia, perique, etc.). The only way to get this one figured out is just start buying tins and trying them. Most pipe smokers start out on the aromatic side of the charts and work their way over to the naturals. I tend to stick with Virginia and favor perique blends and never really ventured off into the aromatic end of the pool. I have some Virginia that was tinned in 1999 that has not been opened. A good friend and I will open the first tin next year. Tobacco does some amazing things when it ages.

Pipe smoking takes more technical skill than cigar smoking and it is my belief that the lazy masses will stick with the instant gratification of the cigar over the pipe.

If you are interested in the pipe go find someone that will teach you how to do it right. I spent several months not quite getting it until being "shown the way". There are pipe clubs in most major cities. I have found that pipe smokers are a lot like shooters...great folks and a lot of fun to hang around. Plus, pipes can be incredible works of art.

Hello: Thanks for the pipe info guys. I am new to smoking cigars but one thing a guy told me was to stick with one brand till you find what you like. Your taste in cigars will change depending on the day,weather etc. The cigar brands I am smoking now are Arturo Fuente, CAO and Rocky Patel. The Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Story, CAO Anniversary Maduro and the Rocky Patel Decade are a good place to start. If you want a very mild good cigar the Rocky Patel Edge Lite are great. I can also tell you that you must have a humidor. They make the cigars taste so much better when they are the right humidity and temp. I would also suggest you buy at least 3 cigars before you make up your mind about them. Cigars can differ even though they are hand made or because they are. I also have a notebook that I rate the cigars. Sometimes what the cigar mags like I don't like at all. Lastly you will have to decide what size cigar you like and how much time you have to enjoy it. Anyone have a favorite 1 hour cigar they would like to share? Thanks, Eric

• 3 months later...

Dammit...you are going to make me go to JR's and take a peek after that comment!

I have some 7 year old JR Ultimate Padrons (renamed because of the conflict with the Padron brand shortly after I bought these). They have aged rather incredibly.

I went looking too.

My humidor is empty (well, except for a mag full of 40cal). Took the winter off the cigars. Somebody smoked all mine up before winter. :) (they are like ammo to me...if I have them, I'll smoke'um)

Now that we are shooting matches agian...I had to buy a pack of Backwoods. So, I got that going for me. :rolleyes:

(Oh...moderators...if there is an existing thread...feel free to move this one. :) )

Not an expert on pipes or cigars, but I used to like going to the Tinderbox for my smokes. They would blend whatever I liked for my pipe and had a decent selection of cigars for us poor folks. Unfortunately, the local went out of business so I have had to settle for Marlboros. Do miss my pipe though.

Not an expert on pipes or cigars, but I used to like going to the Tinderbox for my smokes. They would blend whatever I liked for my pipe and had a decent selection of cigars for us poor folks. Unfortunately, the local went out of business so I have had to settle for Marlboros. Do miss my pipe though.

Hey six-gun, check out my post #101. There is a whole other world in pipe smoking enjoyment. :cheers:

Stay Safe,

A.T.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Pipe smoking takes more technical skill than cigar smoking and it is my belief that the lazy masses will stick with the instant gratification of the cigar over the pipe.

I think you nailed that pretty well.

I picked up a Missouri Meerschaum today to try out...along with some Captain Black.

Seems like a bit of work. I hope I get better.

• 6 months later...

Idea is to list what you smoked today. Post picks of your humidors, collection, etc.

I just got done smoking a Montecristo #2 last night. I'll get some pictures of my meager selection once I get my main humidor finished and some other ideas I'm working on.

I had a Macanudo today after my last shot at the Area 5 match. Looks like it might have been a Crystal Natural (my girlfriend got it for my when she was on a trip). I should have paid closer attention to what it was exactly, as it was pretty good.

Rest of the drive home it was the corncob pipe and the Capt. Black.

Try the Oliva Series V Torpedo Robusto.I think that's what this is . . . .

See CA "best 25 Cigars of the year . . .Very nice with a spicy clean finish . . . Very good with cool Bourbon, Scotch or Red wine. . . .NICE!

A) for a humidor, I usually use a "cigar caddy" to carry some around, and one of those bags to store most of mine. My brother uses a converted (cedar lined) ammo box to hold his - it works well, provided its not moved much.

B) I'm very fond of Lianos Dos Palmas - I have them make an uncut double corona shape, w. a pigtail end, and a Connecticut seed, Ecuadorian grown wrapper for a morning/match light cigar. They make a 100% corojo, which is an excellent evening cigar - they make quite a few varieties.

C) Good pipes taste much better than cheap ones - I can't comment on meerschaum or corn cob. However, the benefit is that you can buy used, high end pipes, which have been sterilized, for half the new price. There's a shop in Little River, SC which has an excellent selection of used, better pipes - and new ones.

A) for a humidor, I usually use a "cigar caddy" to carry some around, and one of those bags to store most of mine. My brother uses a converted (cedar lined) ammo box to hold his - it works well, provided its not moved much.

B) I'm very fond of Lianos Dos Palmas - I have them make an uncut double corona shape, w. a pigtail end, and a Connecticut seed, Ecuadorian grown wrapper for a morning/match light cigar. They make a 100% corojo, which is an excellent evening cigar - they make quite a few varieties.

C) Good pipes taste much better than cheap ones - I can't comment on meerschaum or corn cob. However, the benefit is that you can buy used, high end pipes, which have been sterilized, for half the new price. There's a shop in Little River, SC which has an excellent selection of used, better pipes - and new ones.

One of my humidors is the "He-man" ammo boxes converted to make a humidor. They really do work quite well. I have another nicer one but they are both small but I'm making them work.