Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigar & Pipe...merged thread

3quartertime

Just finished an A. Fuente Gran Reserva.

Starting a Hoyo De Monterray Excalibur.

Just what I needed...

So,,,What do you like???

I'm not a GM in cigars but I truely enjoy the taste of a good mild stogie. Puts me in just that mood.

This excalibur is exellent!!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm partial to the Cuesta Rey maduro pyramids--good flavor, not too mild. For a bit more kick, you can't beat the Nicaraguan tobacco in a Camacho. I also really like Puros Indios--the 6X52 ring size is dynamite! That Excalibur is a good stick, too. Have you tried the Hoyo Rothschilds? Nice robusto size, good for a short smoke when you don't have the time to enjoy a big stick.

Troy

Thanks for the suggestions Troy!!!

The excalibur is a big stick but I have the time so,,,

Can I add to this post and ask where you get your favorites from?

I used to order regularly from Thompson. Is there a better place? Specifcally to buy a quantity on-line...

I love perusing the local cigar shops but the selection is always so daunting. Most times I just get a few at the liquour store. Had a funny story lately,,,

Was wandering the streets of Bloomington Indiana ( Home of Indiana University for those in Rio Linda). Got a tasty cig and preceded to walk the streets enjoying this fine purchase. My girlfriend was horrified!!! The passerbys were even more agast. Seems smoking a fine cigar in the home of a very liberal university is taboo. It was fun watching the passing folks wrinkle thier collective faces at my disrespect of thier right of clean air outside. I always and without exception only smoke outside and away from peoples, but in that town I was toooooo close to thier outside!!!

Anyway,,, Enjoying a good smoke, listening to some good tunes by a local band on CD. ( Ass Pony's for those in the area) First hand smoke is the only way to go!!!

:D:PB)

Sure, 3QT. I buy a lot online from JR Cigar. www.jrcigars.com is the address. I buy the rest from my local cigar guy, JJ at Havana House, just 'cuz I like going in there and visiting with the guys. No problems yet smoking a stogie outdoors in LA, and I'll surely smoke a bunch at Nationals.

There's a big cigar shop in Skokie, IL, (Kings?) that I've been to a couple of times. Huge humidor, good staff, decent prices.

Bauza is another good choice--it's a Fuente product, without the higher price tag.

Troy

I've always been partial to Uppmans. Churchill size of course.

Yep, Upmanns are good sticks, too. I find they can be a bit inconsistent. Upmanns are the first cigars I ever tried, and they are still a good go-to cigar; easy to find almost everywhere.

Troy

A Montecristo no 2 is a favorite. A friend just returned from Cuba and had a bunch with him.. Such a plesure to smoke a cigar in its prime.

Have once had the pleasure to enjoy a Montecristo A - splendid.

Oh man... that I miss from my beloved Island. After the matches we (the shooting pals) would retreat to a corner at the range club house and smoke and exchange stogies. Here I don't even know where to get a decent cigar. The only smoke shop I know is at one of the high end malls and I don't even wanna know their prices! :angry:

Fuente OPUS X for me, please. And for a daily smoke a Partagas Sabroso.

Smoke away...

Our local shop picked up on some "pre-ban" cubans. They came about through a bankruptcy case. The judge covering the case was a cigar smoker and ordered them stored under the correct conditions. They smoke pretty even and seem like they have been taken care of correctly. Now they are available on the open market, running around $10-$12 per stick. Time to load up the humidor.....

Here's the article that ran locally, kind of interesting.....

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2004/07...ec600190155.txt

Stew

Oh man... that I miss from my beloved Island. After the matches we (the shooting pals) would retreat to a corner at the range club house and smoke and exchange stogies. Here I don't even know where to get a decent cigar. The only smoke shop I know is at one of the high end malls and I don't even wanna know their prices! :angry:

Fuente OPUS X for me, please. And for a daily smoke a Partagas Sabroso.

Smoke away...

Nelson, try going to www.cigaraficianado.com. They have a section that lists cigar shops. Should be a start, anyway. Good luck. If you want to mail order some, JRCigar is a good start. www.jrcigars.com

Troy

3/4 time

told the story about when I lived in Houston...stitting on MY front porch smoking a great cigar...lady comes down the sidewalk...stops and gives me a fit for poluting HER air....what is the world coming too....

The cigar shop I mentioned in an earlier post is called "Cigar King", not "King's Cigars", which my faulty memory banks called up. I believe they have a web page; www.cigarking.com. Good folks, good prices.

I had a couple of Cuesta Rey pyramids over the weekend--damn fine smokes!

Troy

• 5 months later...

merged thread

[Police Bullhorn Mode]

Put down the Hungry Man and step away from the Microwave!! It's time to get some class.

[/PBM]

OK, so what do people like to smoke for fun? (And I'm not talking about moon cabbage here folks.)

I really dig H. Upmanns only because it's the best thing I've had so far. I've had a few smuggled Cubanos, but they were only so so. I love the smell of pipes, but I don't know if I'm into all the rigamarole you have to go through to break a pipe in?

What say ye?

And I just have to ask because a catalog just came in the mail, has anybody tried the house brand Thompson premiums? I know a $2.50 cigar that's worth smoking is too good to be true, but I'll ask anyway.

Don't like the work of breaking in a good pipe? Buy a cob. I am NOT kidding. Corncobs smoke rather incredibly well and considering they run less than $5....

Never been much of a fan of Thompsons. Their stuff tends to be worth what you pay for it and that is about it. Some folks love 'em though.

JR's house brands on the other hand start very nice and after a couple years of aging...wow!

For name brand I am pretty much a Padron fanatic. And not the fancy high end Padrons either (unless they are free...I just don't like paying that much for them). A good Padron 3000 maduro is heaven.

I am pretty much off cigars at the moment (although a hundred+ are aging away) and tend to stick with the pipes. Virginia/perique blends usually with a foray now and then into the aromatics (another good use for a cob...don't have to worry about gooping up a good briar with an aromatic).

Well. I have been smoking cubans (the real mcCoy and not Bones) as I have a friend in New Zealand ship them to me. There is nothing, and I mean nothing that compares to a Cuban. I have a 4 foot high computer climate controlled humidor that just might hold 600 robusto size sticks per drawer for 4 pullouts and its about 3 feet deep. (Ok I am a fanatic).

Cigars aged to the point where the oils seep through the wrapper are heaven. The best smoke I ever had was a Montecristo #4 and a Cohiba Ciglo VI that were just plain OILY!!

Currently I like the Huppmans Torpedo, Partaga Series D #4, 2003 Limitado, Choix supreme, Romeo y julieta torps, Ramone Allones Robusto and the Hoyo De Monterrays are real nice as they are the only house that grows on the river plain in the via abuelto region and it has a spicy deep finish. Montecristos need to be aged for a long time before they are any good, usually about 2-3 years. Smoke them before then and they are like average, but still better than a dominican. Bolivar dissappoints me but I know people who love them.

EricW if you had so so cubans they were not. Your gonna get hooked up at Area 1(not with my sister), just bring a torch lighter.

Vacation in the Caribbean, cubans are plentifull and cigars are reasonably priced because Uncle sam isn't getting his cut. Nothing like a good cigar and a Pain Killer on the back of a sail boat anchored by a Caribbean island.

OK, so where do you buy corn cob pipes?

(Yes, I really am that damned out of the loop.)

I was thinking about buying some H. Uppmann Camaroons from Thompson's, but I noticed that they said "made for Thompsons" which makes me extremely suspicious that they're Uppmann's junk cigars. Any clues? $4 for an $8 cigar too good to be true?

I'll have to try the JR's. What do non-humidor owning people do with 50 cigars anyway? Can I just put them in a tupperware box with an apple slice?

(And I swear to y'all, I don't inhale. Just like my buddy Bill.)