Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cigar & Pipe...merged thread

3quartertime

What do non-humidor owning people do with 50 cigars anyway? Can I just put them in a tupperware box with an apple slice?

I will loan or give you a humidor. Dont apple slice it. Save your apple slices as Subaru air fresheners.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SR,

Thanks.  I see the "dor," but where is the "humid" with the $20 especiale?  Or does it really even matter?

It comes with a little plastic round thing filled with green foam that you can fill up with water.

I have to be honest though and say I don't use it. I got this digital hygrometer

and this crystal clear humidifier from Cigar King instead.

Personally I think it matters. Results may vary though. I know some guys that just put a shot glass filled with water in their humidors and seem to be very happy with the results.

EricW: Cobs can be had at www.corncobpipe.com of course. Home of Missouri Meerschaum. Buy several...they are cheap. I pack one in my briefcase every day just in case the opportunity to enjoy a bowl presents itself. When it gets broken I just get a new one.

Tobacco World in the Flour Mill down near the Arena used to sell them too. I think my current carry pipe came from there. Their house blend loose pipe tobacco is also decent if you don't mind paying WA tobacco taxes.

If I can remember to do so Saturday I'll toss a couple well aged JR's in the shooting bag for you...assuming you will be at the Steel match Saturday and not doing homework.

The "green foam" is nothing more than florist's "Oasis Foam". There are two types: wet and dry. You want the "wet" type. Then go get some Polyethylene Glycol (not anti-freeze!) and mix it 50/50 with distilled water. Saturate the Oasis and away you go. Don't use straight water unless you like soggy cigars.

I have a "TravelDor" that is made from a Pelican case that works great. I have a bunch of spanish cedar in there and leave the pressure valve cracked so it breathes. Works great. I have also used Tupperware. Just punch a hole in it so it will breathe and toss in some spanish cedar. Not as good as a real humidor but cheap!

• 3 weeks later...
Based on mactiger's recommendation I tried JR's ... OMG.

I'm not buying from anyone else but them now.

Try these:

OMG these are awesome for less than a buck a piece.

Sweet Georgia Brown!

You aren't kidding!!!! I bought some of the Presidente size and it's the best damned cigar I've ever had. Absolutely succulent. The quality is outstanding. Usually I quit about 1/3 of the way into the cigar because the taste starts getting gamey. Not these. Wonderful all the way through.

:)

Thank you Mactiger and ShortRound!

Hoyo de Monterray Excaliber Maduro's expecially with a glass of New Castle Brown Ale is the only way to do it right..........

Punch Maduros are good, usually smoke them when I am in Las Vegas where I have a good hook up for them. La Gloria Cubanas when I want something a little stronger.

EricW, take half that box and put them in the humidor and forget them for a year. They WILL get better.

During the stupid "cigar boom" a few years back the industry was rushing every stick from field to store as fast as they could go and the majority of the stuff that was available was only aged as long as it took the shipping container to make it from Central America to the US. Aging after purchase just became standard practice. But even with the boom now gone and quality sticks back on the market a bit of proper aging still makes just about any cigar a better cigar.

Kevin,

Will do. What's really insane is that these cigars are better than ANYTHING I paid $8 and up for during the 90's. I think I'm going to make an "igloodor" and do a little stockpiling while the getting's good, because there's no way this is going to last.

If these $1 jobs are this good, the JR Ultimates must be heaven.

My Cubans shall never abide in yon bile infested maw, that partakes of tobacco of least renown and calls upon it the highest accolades. Nay, call thy self heathen and cloke thee in the putrid essence, that bileous cloud of heinous sputum that roils amongst teeth ground of stained frustrations. Force of will that belies a somber mood, embrace thy evil 8 bits of dominican animosity, rolled from the hostile glares of stolen seed.

I don't care what anybody says, the JR's I bought are 10X better than the Cubans that I used to get on the sly from a pilot friend. Keep your stinky ill-gotten booty. :P

And it's not tobaccy of least renown, it's Nestor Placencia's stuff that I think was destined to become a Padron or similar. It's equivalent or I daresay better than the Upmann Vintage Cameroons of which I've become so fond.

Mayhaps yon should ply the gravid underbelly of some festering weed strained earthen black, whilst pawing at crusted jowls in hopes of rendering the filth from rotted memory. Nary to walk the lanes of tendered shade grown care that reaches to the heavens light for sustenence, nay you wonder like a pitiable aqualung, pilfering the wretched and diminished, it hangs about you like a cloying spooge, spittle dripping across tongues that wend in two directions. The wares of street corner urchins are shiny in the distance, frottle your way to beacons of ill repute, taste the bounty of the limited and purse your lips in joy which burns like a grimace of forced oppulence. Striketh hard the match and wallow in the acrid haze.

Or a La Gloria Cubana Series R.... ;)

"A very old brand that dates from 1885, "the Glory of Cuba" presents a wide variety of sizes in a small, but beautifully made range. The strength is medium; note that this is one of the few brands which is only handmade. Developed by Jose Rocha and Rafael Garcia, the brand got off to a good start thanks to tireless promotion by Pepin Fernandez, owner of the Romeo y Julieta brand, who helped his friends introduce the La Gloria Cubana and El Crepusculo brands overseas. "

I know of the Tainos and the Medaille D'Or No. 2...Series R must be the Dominican Version.

Just had an Onyx corona-size at my old neighbor's place. Two thumbs up. Truly does taste just like chocolate. Smells even better. :)

Hmm ... interesting. I've been looking at that cigar and thinking that it had to be all hype. I'll have to try one now.

Just had an Onyx corona-size at my old neighbor's place.  Two thumbs up.  Truly does taste just like chocolate.  Smells even better.  :)

Hmm ... interesting. I've been looking at that cigar and thinking that it had to be all hype. I'll have to try one now.

<sigh>

<sigh>

I know :D ... and last night we got two buckets of corona (even though we were drinking snake-bites) because the girls handing out the corona posters and the key chains were really nice (they were cute too ;) ). I'm definitely not a slave to fashion (look at how I dress and you'll know), but sometimes it's really fun to give in.

"Sameness is the mother of disgust, variety the cure. "