Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do they only live a short time

KentG

We just got home from Purdue University Veterinary Hospital. My best friend has an aggresive tumor in the groin area and we are day to day. I found him 11 years ago when somone dumped him because he has hip displasia. I have never had a dog I am closer to and this hurts both of us in a way I never imagined. My last Lab had lupas and that was bad but this Black Lab has gotten into my very soul. We will keep him comfortable with rymadil and tramadol as the Purdue staff recomends and probably in the next couple weeks have to do what is going to be the hardest thing I will have had to do in 51 years. Im passing on shooting any for now so I can stay close to home. I told Jasper the world is his oyster and gets all the McNuggets he wants! Id gladly give him a couple years off my life if I could.

Being a dog owner who has been there also, I know how you feel. Try to remember the good times you had together and not the pain you feel now. We all will have to deal with this at times, but it doesn't make it any easier now. Hang in there.

I would much rather suffer the kind of sadness you are confronting and be the sort of person that has a place like that in their heart for an animal, than the kind of person that cannot. There are no words for this because it's wordless. Know though that you are not alone. There are Angeles everywhere.

So sorry that you and Jasper are having to go through this.

As someone else suggested - hold on to those good memories - it sounds like you gave him a much better life than he would have had otherwise.

Looking through pictures I have of my dog helped when I went thru a similar loss not too long ago.

Tom

My dog Sport was my best friend from age 5 to 22. Had to put him down, he just couldn't do it anymore. He was a puppy all the way, no matter how old he was.

It's hard, but it's the right thing to do for such a loyal friend, to be their best friend in return.

So sorry Kent. I know where you are at. Alex our Aussie and we are right about where you guys are. I think we actually go through more pain and angst than our dogs do. Just one more thing I try to learn from him. Hang in there and we will be thinking of you.

I think the reason that dogs have such short lives is so that we can treaure them all the more during the brief time they are here with us.

I'm wiping tears from my eyes as I read your post because I'm thinking about the dogs in my past. I was privilaged to know them, and remember every one of them to this day.

If there aren't any dogs in Heaven, I don't want to go there. But, I'm sure there are, because every home needs a wagging tail and a goofy grin when you walk in the front door. And, I think that God gave us dogs anyway, so I'm sure that's where they go.

BTDT many times. Hurts bad everytime. Last one I took to the vet to euthanize got a McD's hamburger on the way. He loved it. When the end is near, they get what they want; chocolate cake, burgers, milkshakes, whatever.

Our first dog was a daschund,got him when he was five weeks old in Germany four months before my first daughter was born. She and her younger sister grew up with that dog and did not know any other. When he was about fifteen, he developed tumors in his GI tract. Vet said there was nothing to do but make him comfortable. Rather than drag things out and have him suffer, I took him in to have him put down. I cried as if I had cut off life support to a family member, cause that was what he was. Things were not good at my house for a long time after. We have had several more weiner dogs since, but none can take the place of "Helmut". (Named after the bartender at the 'O' Club in Germany.) I dread the day that "Doogan", named after my first daughter's stuffed animal she slept with goes away. I don't think I could stand it. Stay strong.

I dont want to drag this thread out. For everyone who understand,, no words are needed. We got a lab report today from a simple needle biopsy. Its definatly malignant but without doing a pointless more invasive biopsy (SP?) its not for sure if its a lymphoma or the much more aggresive type. My wife tried to explain it to me since this is her field not mine. Its still a matter of a week or two. He does not know he is sick just the damn rear leg wont work. My wife is crying telling me how she works on people all day long who are dying but this is obviously hitting home very hard. We have another lab thats 9 so he gets extra hugs too. I was going to stay home all weekend but she insisted I go shoot Sunday for a distraction. He will be creamated and go on the nightstand next to our first lab and someday he will sleep with me. That is kind of morbid but I have told my wife for a few years I want to have him with me when I am put to rest. The Purdue Vet school makes this more palatable because this is one of the best places in the country to take your loved ones. We dont have a will yet but since we have no kids or family worth giving anything to it will be split between the local humane society and Purdue's vetrinarian small animal hospital in some fashion.

Its late, I have had a few beers and he is resting. Life is not fair.

Sorry it has been a rough night Kent. One of the things that has helped me before and is helping me now with Alex are two realizations. The first is that Alex and I have not been singled out for the pain of this experience. Every being that draws its first breath will draw its last. What is happening is inevitable. This helped me lose some of my angst at how unfair this felt. The second was to realize most of the pain that I was feeling was because I knew how much I will miss him, and that is simply a measure of how great it has been to have walked this path with him for a bit. I could argue that the true unfairness in life is that not everyone has the chance to have had such a devoted, loving friend for so long.

Having said all that deep, philosophical rambling, I look down and see Alex under my feet. He is the one that woke up a half hour ago in the middle of the night and had to have me carry him down and up to our third story unit just so he could pee yet again. He is the one whose legs barely work, who will never hike or run down a frisbee again, and yet he lays there looking up at me with no remorse, no sadness, no story at all about what is happening, just perfectly living in the moment hanging out with me at this insane time of the morning.

I think he is far closer to enlightenment than I may ever be.

We just got home from Purdue University Veterinary Hospital. My best friend has an aggresive tumor in the groin area and we are day to day. I found him 11 years ago when somone dumped him because he has hip displasia. I have never had a dog I am closer to and this hurts both of us in a way I never imagined. My last Lab had lupas and that was bad but this Black Lab has gotten into my very soul. We will keep him comfortable with rymadil and tramadol as the Purdue staff recomends and probably in the next couple weeks have to do what is going to be the hardest thing I will have had to do in 51 years. Im passing on shooting any for now so I can stay close to home. I told Jasper the world is his oyster and gets all the McNuggets he wants! Id gladly give him a couple years off my life if I could.

Like many,I understand. Nothing I can say will take away the pain for you or for Jasper.

Wishing Jasper a painless trip to the rainbow bridge from me and Kaydin

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry man, we have Pugs, lost my Black Pug last year and my first is 16 years old now. I'm 67 and a little stiff and slow moving pains me to see his struggle to get around he's about half blind and deaf but been and is the best dog I ever had. He's always tried to please and been the leader of the pack of four. They can really get close.

Thanks to all. Jasper is now in an urn on my nightstand. I held his head in my hands looking in those big brown eyes as he went to heaven. His tail was going up to the last. One of the hardest things I have gone thru.

I understand the feeling. Don't weep for the loss smile for remembing all the joy you brought each other and they will be on the other side waiting for you. have had to do it twice not a fun thing to do.