Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Managing primer sizes

I am using a 550B and all is working fine. Currently, loading pistols only (9mm, 357mag, 44mag, 45ACP, 500SW) and will proceed to load 223 and 308win for rifles in the near future.

The management of primer size on the 550B can get a little old quite quickly when you have to switch out the support for small primers to large primers. Yes, it is a 5 mins job with all the quality checks included but still ... it's quite a drag when you think about it.

Is it time to get another machine so one machine handles small and the other do large primers? Or are there better ways to do this?

Edited by Art Yeo

I did almost the same but went with 2 650's one for large primers one for small primers. I also have 1 550 but am using it for small batches of rifle ammo which I don't load often enough to mind switching out the primer assembly.

2 550's or a 650 with a complete small and large primer assembly, the primer system on the 650 is the one with the least malfunctions.

They must REALLY behave differently in the Netherlands....roflol.gif

language difference i think.

i had an sd and a 550b, but both had a lot of problems with the primer systems.

After you get the second press for different primers, you'll probably begin thinking about a press so you don't have to change out shell plates. I know I am :devil:

Ideally, I'd like a 550B for every caliber I am reloading. :)

Over kill. Set one up with large, the other with small, less costs, tool heads and powder measures are cheaper than an entire press, and conversions take less than a few minutes.

2 550's or a 650 with a complete small and large primer assembly, the primer system on the 650 is the one with the least malfunctions.

They must REALLY behave differently in the Netherlands....roflol.gif

language difference i think.

i had an sd and a 550b, but both had a lot of problems with the primer systems.

Yeah my 650 priming system is infinitely better than my 550's was.

Two 550s or 650s is the ideal solution for the small primer/large primer question if one can afford it and has the bench space. When I had a 550 I bought a complete large primer slide assembly from Dillon, so when I wanted to load stuff with large primers all I had to do was take off the priming assembly and swap the large primer slide assembly in. No screwing around with changing the primer cups, etc. that way.

(Sigh), I neither have the bench space or the $$$ for another press so I'll have to go this route with my 650....

Got an RL1050 for all small primer, high volume stuff.

Keeping the 650 for change overs and longer stuff (.308).

Have a custom plate bolted to the workbench that I just

unbolt the 1050 and bolt on the 650, using the same

casefeeder.

I've not loaded any large primer cartridges yet, but

will do so with the 650.

Have a couple of 550s coming up for sale. Mine and a

deceased friends that I need to pick up. Any interest?

I moved to two 550s because of the hassle in changing primer assemblies- its really not that bad but loading for a range trip meant .223, .38 special on the small primer then switching to the large primer assembly for .45.

One stupid mistake I made was thinking I could quickly load some small primer .45s for a lost brass match. I swapped the shell plate and toolhead over to the small primer press and cranked out 100 rounds, got to the match and the COAL was too long. Live and learn.

[...]

When I had a 550 I bought a complete large primer slide assembly from Dillon, so when I wanted to load stuff with large primers all I had to do was take off the priming assembly and swap the large primer slide assembly in. No screwing around with changing the primer cups, etc. that way.

[...]

If understand you correctly, you are unscrewing the 2 screws underneath the priming assembly and swapping it out?

[...]

When I had a 550 I bought a complete large primer slide assembly from Dillon, so when I wanted to load stuff with large primers all I had to do was take off the priming assembly and swap the large primer slide assembly in. No screwing around with changing the primer cups, etc. that way.

[...]

If understand you correctly, you are unscrewing the 2 screws underneath the priming assembly and swapping it out?

Correct. Takes all of two minutes.

I change primer size on a 650 and a 1050. I load rifle on the 1050, pistol on the 650. IF the swager on the 1050 is not in the equation, the time and work involved to change from large to small on EITHER machine is about the same.

The problem with the 1050 is the cost for a tool head; ~$200! :surprise: (vs ~$35 for a 650 tool head)

jj

[...]

[...]

Correct. Takes all of two minutes.

Unscrewing them is easy, putting it back and aligning it takes more than 2-3 mins in itself.

Then, some QC check by looking through the primer magazine from the top (vertically down) and lifting the platform to ensure the primer seat arrives directly underneath the primer mag.

So, in my experience, to manually switch out the primer size support, it takes slightly more than 5-6 mins. Yes, a little patience can help.

--

Art Y.