Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Shooter ready?" or "Are you ready?"

dravz

only on benos could a simple thing as using the right range commands make it 3 pages :wacko:

It was definitely predictable. Lol

You mean Benos, the place where there is an entire sub-forum committed to the lively discussion of gun springs? Where there is a new thread every month on the topic of oil versus grease?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think MASS

Make ready

Are you ready

Standby

Start (Beep)

We are going to make up stickers for our timers that have the commands on them.

Oh, and make sure that you give the commands loud enough for people that have lost some of their hearing and are wearing hearing protection to actually hear. No idle banter with the shooter as they come tot he line, or stand in a manner that will not allow them to misinterpret a comment as the Make Ready command.

The one that really bothers me at a local match is "give me a nod when your ready" That is not a correct command and it really throws me off of my routine. If you try to correct them they seem to get aggravated and if I do not nod they will just stand there.

Maybe you guys with a 'routine' are the reason for that request. I'm hoping to learn how the heck the RO supposed to know a shooter is not still mentally rehearsing. If someone ever gives me a problem about giving a nod or otherwise letting me know when their 'routine' is done, I'll just ask 'are you ready' every 5 seconds until I don't hear 'no'.

Some guys just load their gun, reholster, assume the start position, and are ready to roll. Some have a 'routine' of more or less theatrics and rehearsal and runthrough and whatever. That's fine, but it's often not at all obvious when someone is done with their mental gymnastics.

Edited by motosapiens

Going hot is what you yell to the gallery before addressing the shooter with "Make ready" IDPA is all polite and stuff, like if you understand the course of fire and you feel like it you can go ahead and load and make ready.... USPSA, "make ready biatch"

Very funny!bow.gif

The one that really bothers me at a local match is "give me a nod when your ready" That is not a correct command and it really throws me off of my routine. If you try to correct them they seem to get aggravated and if I do not nod they will just stand there.

Maybe you guys with a 'routine' are the reason for that request. I'm hoping to learn how the heck the RO supposed to know a shooter is not still mentally rehearsing. If someone ever gives me a problem about giving a nod or otherwise letting me know when their 'routine' is done, I'll just ask 'are you ready' every 5 seconds until I don't hear 'no'.

Some guys just load their gun, reholster, assume the start position, and are ready to roll. Some have a 'routine' of more or less theatrics and rehearsal and runthrough and whatever. That's fine, but it's often not at all obvious when someone is done with their mental gymnastics.

This is a simple issue to remedy. I always keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready. It's the last thing I do is remove my hand and relax. I'd make the suggestion to the shooter to do that for the RO as its really good practice. You KNOW I'm not ready to go as you can't start me with my hand on the gun and I have that last piece of tactile memory as to where the gun is before my draw. Make the suggestion after the run to the shooter - I'm sure they'll take the piece of advise readily. This is a standard practice for most every "decent" shooter I've run.

People - we're to give the shooter the time they need to get ready. Rushing them through their routine will do no one any good. If you ask me every 5 seconds, after the 3rd time I'm going to tell you I'm distracted now and unload and show clear to be bounced back in line then request another RO when I come to the line again. I understand extreme make ready routines are problematic, but I've run a ton of shooters through majors - never have I had someone that drove me to the point of frustration. In the RO creed we are to help the match run efficiently but we also pledge to help the shooter reach their objectives. Some need more than others, but pushing them to make a point does none of us any good.

Maybe I'm part psychic, but I really don't find it that hard to tell when the shooter is ready to go.I will occaisionally ask "Are you ready" and then realize they are not, but 99% of the time it is pretty easy to tell if they have assumed the start position or if they are still moving around.

This is how I know when a shooter is ready. If he isn't it's on him.

8.3.2 “Are You Ready?” – The lack of any negative response from the competitor indicates that he fully understands the requirements of the

course of fire and is ready to proceed. If the competitor is not ready at

the “Are You Ready?” command, he must state “Not Ready”. It is suggested that when the competitor is ready he should assume the required

start position to indicate his readiness to the Range Officer.

There is no reason whatsoever to use non standard range commands.

But it still might make life easier and happier for everyone if the shooter were to assist the newer or less-psychic RO's in figuring out just when they are actually ready. Seems to me an easier and happier life is more pleasant than a nitpicky one.

Fortunately, around here, shooters seem pretty reasonable so far, and RO's too.

This is a simple issue to remedy. I always keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready. It's the last thing I do is remove my hand and relax. I'd make the suggestion to the shooter to do that for the RO as its really good practice.

Good suggestion. It is very helpful to me as an RO when shooters do that. Takes all the guessing out of it.

This is actually not really much of a problem for uspsa matches so far. I notice it more in our monday night steel challenge, which is a mix of brand new shooters and experienced competitors, and of course the 22 and rifle divisions don't draw so their ready position is pretty much the same as their preparing position. So for those guys, I just tell them to make ready, and let me know when they are ready.

At any rate, it's all about having fun, so even if someone makes a grievous internet faux pas, I don't stress too much about it. It sure won't drive me crazy. Heck, I've been married 3 times. I'm totally immune to any annoying thing that anyone could possibly do to me. Innoculated. :cheers:

Since some shooters engage in a pre-stage rehearsal as elaborate as a Japanese tea ceremony, I have often asked that they nod when ready so I don't interrupt their ritual with repeated inquiries. No, it's not "rules standard" and I'll find a better way in the future after reading this thread. I really like the "keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready" suggestion. Great idea!

Mark

I really like the "keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready" suggestion. Great idea!

That is nothing new. I am pretty sure I learned that at my first match AND during my RO course. I thought everybody did that!

I really like the "keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready" suggestion. Great idea!

That is nothing new. I am pretty sure I learned that at my first match AND during my RO course. I thought everybody did that!

Me too - then again, there's several times I've seen ROs at different locales ask me - are you ready... with my hand on the gun. I look over my shoulder at them, shake my head and motion with my head to the hand still on the gun. :)

But it still might make life easier and happier for everyone if the shooter were to assist the newer or less-psychic RO's in figuring out just when they are actually ready. Seems to me an easier and happier life is more pleasant than a nitpicky one.

Fortunately, around here, shooters seem pretty reasonable so far, and RO's too.

This is a simple issue to remedy. I always keep my hand on my gun until I'm ready. It's the last thing I do is remove my hand and relax. I'd make the suggestion to the shooter to do that for the RO as its really good practice.

Good suggestion. It is very helpful to me as an RO when shooters do that. Takes all the guessing out of it.

This is actually not really much of a problem for uspsa matches so far. I notice it more in our monday night steel challenge, which is a mix of brand new shooters and experienced competitors, and of course the 22 and rifle divisions don't draw so their ready position is pretty much the same as their preparing position. So for those guys, I just tell them to make ready, and let me know when they are ready.

At any rate, it's all about having fun, so even if someone makes a grievous internet faux pas, I don't stress too much about it. It sure won't drive me crazy. Heck, I've been married 3 times. I'm totally immune to any annoying thing that anyone could possibly do to me. Innoculated. :cheers:

And then you mention steel! :) THAT is where I get worn out - and where I can COMPLETELY understand because some of the "serious" steel shooters, that don't shoot USPSA, I've noticed, do get quite protracted in their routines -- IN BETWEEN EVERY STRING... ok... now I get some frustration.

Really? I think it's easy to tell.

I can top this.....at the Area 6 a few years back in Georgia, Canadian Shooter Phil Cariera is shooting. (Phil is IPSC Ontario's top IROA offical, served as the RM of the 2011 Canadian Nationals ect.....in other words, he appreciates a consistant application of the rules.) So Phil finishes the course of fire and the RO utters the following....."If your dunn, show me a clear gun" with a great southern drawl. It was all Phil could do to contain himself as he went crosseyed on that command. When Phil politely corrected him, the RO did admit to being a bit new and this was his first big match working. So from then on, as a squad, we had to "help" the poor RO by chanting the range commands with him as we all finished the stage. He took it pretty well and laughed with us but this is something our group brings up every now and then when we hear an RO butcher the commands.

It might sound petty but incorrect range commands are a big pet peeve of mine when I am at a match. I blame Carl Provan for that since he was the one who forced me and many others to step up and "Do it right" at our local club in preperation for hosting our first Level III match. He was correct to make sure that we as a group got our commands right as that increased the perception of our staff to the competitors. If you can't get the basic range commands right, how do you expect to get the tougher and more complicated calls/issues correct? As we know, you don't rise to the occassion in our sport without practice, you rise to your level of training/effort put in. Same for RO's. It starts with getting the range commands down. It throws off shooters to hear anything else than what we are only suppossed to hear. It is not fair to the competitor to give them anything else.

As for the whole start thing, I agree. Wait till the competitor assumes the start position. I hate it when my hand is still on my gun and the RO asks "Are you Ready" or (shuddering....) "shooter ready"? Really? You can't see that I am not in the proper starting position and you want to start me? I have learned through bad experiance to just unload and show clear at that point and step down at bigger match's. At a local match where we are just shooting for fun, I am a lot more forgiving but at a major match many folks are shooting for a certain place and should be given the proper opportunity to do well (or crash & burn like me typically). Let's raise the expectations to match the standards we should be attaining.

Just my .02 this morning. Ran out of Diet Pepsi and had to take it out on someone........

Kyle................what are you trying to tell me? I have to learn new stufff? Do you know how long it took me to learn the last rulebook? AAAAAAGGHHHHHHH!

Ok, I am going to go sit in the corner now.....

+++++2,000,000... I swear I could have shot and reset the stage twice before some of these guys get through drawing 20 times, air gunning each target 3-4 times, seating and unseating the mag 3-4 times then wiping their hands on their ass enough to get a public indecency charge!!

+++++2,000,000... I swear I could have shot and reset the stage twice before some of these guys get through drawing 20 times, air gunning each target 3-4 times, seating and unseating the mag 3-4 times then wiping their hands on their ass enough to get a public indecency charge!!

Add in the end of cof ritual with the bullet flip and funky catch, and you have quite a show. Maybe the command should be "Are you ready...to be entertaining?"

Edited by vluc

only on benos could a simple thing as using the right range commands make it 3 pages :wacko:

You mean Benos, the place where there is an entire sub-forum committed to the lively discussion of gun springs? Where there is a new thread every month on the topic of oil versus grease?

Mobil 1 :surprise:

Mobil 1 :surprise:

Froglube

I was a CRO for years and have worked major matches. I rarely have had a problem seeing when a shooter is ready. They will usually stop and relax, you wait a few seconds and give the command.

Thread has kind of drifted, but I will say that I used to get annoyed at those long drawn out pre-start rituals. Then I started to realize those same folks were consistently whipping my butt in the standings. Needless to say I've started taking more time to make sure I'm in the zone before the start signal.