Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Desert Sportsman's Pistol club

1911Prof

No need for a cart unless you want to ..

Probably Range 2 and Range 4 will be the ones used for Nationals and (at least in past years) you can drive between them.

Partial view of Range 2 http://desertsportsmanclub.com/wp-content/gallery/range-photos/desert_sportsman_008.jpg

Range 4, All bays behind the last pile of dirt http://desertsportsmanclub.com/wp-content/gallery/range-photos/desert_sportsman_015.jpg

DS is my 'home range' so probably I'm used to the walk .. but some of the local shooters use cart.

Edited by jriera

Those I have heard describe the Desert Sportsman’s Clubspeak of a place where shooting is without effort or angst. One who shoots thereis always happy — without hurt, sorrow, fear or shame — where every wish isfulfilled. All shooters will always be of the same age (33 years), and of thesame standing/equal. Their life is one of bliss including: wearing fancy gunbelts,shoes and all equipment never malfunctions. There is no need to tape and reset as this is done by immortal youths asyou recline in shaded areas on couches inlaid with gold or precious stones.Frosty beverages are served to all from priceless vessels. Fee lunches areserved which include meats, scented wine and clear drinks bringing neitherdrunkenness nor rousing quarrelling. Inhabitants will rejoice in the company oftheir friends, conversing and recalling the past.

Rumor has it that's where the Corps of Engineers buried a bunch of Alien wreckage back in '58. Damn, that place is HUGE!!!! Screw the cart, bring a helicopter. I bet it can be seen from space. Man, I wish we had ranges like that in my neck of the woods. Maybe it just looks bigger because it isn't covered in all the green shit we have here.

I only asked about the gravel because I hate ricochets off rocks

It is a possibility. G-manBart took one in the noggin either last year or in '10 I forget which. Don't worry though, his head didn't hurt the richoet too much.

If they use the same bays as in years past it really sort of breaks down into two rows of bays. Short walks between all of the bays in each row and as others have said, a lot of folks drive between the two rows.

Edited by Neomet

G = 2

E = 4

If that makes sense.

Thanks, it makes perfect sense. Here is the graphic again.

(Edited to add a scale reference and to suppport Eric's post below)

post-400-0-18630900-1347413392_thumb.jpg

Yep, Range 3 (red arrow) is the 400 yards rifle bay ...

Not sure about aliens ... but I'm sure that other 'things' may be buried there.

About ricochets .. they will happen, shortly before Nats a new layer of sand will 'coat' the berms .. but after a couple of thousand rounds in the same general place, rocks will come out again

1347414497[/url]' post='1777741']

I only asked about the gravel because I hate ricochets off rocks

Those of us in the Southwest are accustomed to hearing bullets whizzing overhead because this is the desert. Wouldn't it be nice to have berms built of loam covered in lush green vegetation, grass carpeted bays and never have rain while we shoot. Well, the almost constant sunshine, lack of rain and 100 degree temperatures with 4% humidity preclude everything else. So, given the choice between slogging thru mud ankle deep and freezing your appendages off, I'll take hearing richocettes whiz by any day. It's called "Desert Sportsman" for a reason. roflol.gif An added benefit is you never have to dig thru snow to find your brass. roflol.gif

I think last year set a new record for the least number of windshields broken or starred by rocks and ricochets.

You should buy a cheap cooler in LV and fill it with ice and fluids. The second year there sent many an RO to hospital. The heat can be tough some days.

I've shot all the recent Nationals held at Desert Sportsman's.

The loose, large sized gravel and rock present on the surface of the roads behind many of the bays makes using a person pulled wagon/cart/hand truck an undertaking only for the hardy. There's also the fact the place is HUGE, and you may have some distance to cover from the end of one set of bays to where you are shooting next.

Come early to park your car close to where you'll be shooting that day, being prepared to move to another part of the range if your schedule requires it. Bring a stage bag and a folding chair. Leave the rest in your car, with food in a cooler and sunscreens over cracked open windows. Shade is at a premium out there. Lots of block and consider bringing some shade of your own. Water on the ranges, as pointed out. Some suggest a bottle per stage (if you are shooting PM's, you may not have to visit the PortaPotty's much). Some bring a hydration pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was the first year working and shooting the match for me.

While it is hot... it is not that bad as long as you have some shade... ala bring your own. It is not toooooo muggy, just hot. This year I am hoping it will be better as it is in October and not September.

Just got to remember to hydrate

Just got to remember to hydrate

This! Daytime humidity numbers were single digit last year, temps pushed triple digits. You're gonna sweat but you aren't gonna know it. If you're from a humid climate it really doesn't seen that bad IMO. I had to force myself to drink because it just didn't "seem" that hot to me.