Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Recommendation for a Dillon 650 and .223

Sig Shooter

I have been loading pistol ammo (.45,9mm &.40) for about 2 years and I am ready to give .223 a try. I have 3 thousand rounds of cleaned, deprimed and trimmed brass. I have picked up 2000 55 grain bullets with a cannuler and 4000 Wolf primers. My plate just came in from Dillon for the case feeder and powder is all I am missing.

I have read all about TAC, H335 and AA 2230 and was wondering if there is a clear winner or just user preference (Kinda like the Ford vs Chevy thing)?

It's really a question of trying things and seeing what you get. I have had great results with BLc(2) with the 55 grain in the accuracy department. Tac with the 77 smk gives the most velocity with reasonable pressures. and 335 is always a good choice for the ligher bullets. If you were going to buy one powder for rifle I would suggest getting TAC. AA 2230 didn't make a big impression on me, the velocities / unit pressure aren't anything to write home about. (my heavy bullet 223 loads favor tac or 2520). The powder it use changes mostly based on the bullet used.

The thing I noticed makes a bigger difference in rifles is the sizing die setup. A full length sizing die (ie dillon carbide) and a RCBS 223 case micrometer bumping the shoulder of a fired case back 0.002-0.003 prevents under sizing and having relibility issues and over sizing and having accuracy suffer. These are the keys to making great ammo in the 650. Along with some parts from McMaster car (the OAL is much more consistent with a torington bearing installed on the shell plate bolt. 5909K44 quantity 2 and 5909K31 quantity 1. The thrust bearing assembly was the best 5 bucks I spent on the dillon, it also helps the 9mm powder splash when indexing the shell plate.

Hope this helps.

Edited by usmc0326

It's really a question of trying things and seeing what you get. I have had great results with BLc(2) with the 55 grain in the accuracy department. Tac with the 77 smk gives the most velocity with reasonable pressures. and 335 is always a good choice for the ligher bullets. If you were going to buy one powder for rifle I would suggest getting TAC. AA 2230 didn't make a big impression on me, the velocities / unit pressure aren't anything to write home about. (my heavy bullet 223 loads favor tac or 2520). The powder it use changes mostly based on the bullet used.

The thing I noticed makes a bigger difference in rifles is the sizing die setup. A full length sizing die (ie dillon carbide) and a RCBS 223 case micrometer bumping the shoulder of a fired case back 0.002-0.003 prevents under sizing and having relibility issues and over sizing and having accuracy suffer. These are the keys to making great ammo in the 650. Along with some parts from McMaster car (the OAL is much more consistent with a torington bearing installed on the shell plate bolt. 5909K44 quantity 2 and 5909K31 quantity 1. The thrust bearing assembly was the best 5 bucks I spent on the dillon, it also helps the 9mm powder splash when indexing the shell plate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I will use all the help I can get.