Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6 HD Gen II

AlamoShooter

The scope was great for its very first match at the Pro Am. I shot two of the rifle stages rite up to my full potential with this scope even though it was my first match of any kind to shoot it in.

Comparing it side to side to my Buddies SwarO makes me very happy with my Razor.

Of all the people that looked over and through the scope = I do not remember any thing but complements.

A few of the Military shooters wanted to seek it with a Mill Dot reticle option.

several experienced shooters wanted a "wind Value" reference for 500 and 600 yards.

60% of the dedicated SwarO shooters wanted a bigger center red dot to make it more like the SwarO. = 40% of the swarO shooters liked that it had a center red dot smaller than the SwarO.

several of the SwarO shooters liked that you had the option of shooting with the wind-age and elevation knobs uncovered.

100% likes on the Price for Value -98% likes on the Warranty the 2% thought they would never could never break it.

Only the biggest guys to handle it are the two that thought that it might be heavy :mellow:

More than a few times guys were going for their wallet to make cash offers.

The biggest challenge was to find distance that would show off the glass with the trees closing in on us on many stages. At the end of the match I removed the scope from my gun so we could glass cars and trucks out on Highway 65 - one or two miles away.

I think more than a few guys wanted a shoot off to take my place on the Vortex Team ;)

Jamie, I looked through that when you had it on stage 4. That is a awesome scope for sure. Jamie told me to look through it at the leaves above the flashers we where shooting at and you could see the sticks between the leaves it was that clear. Awesome glass! I've got the 1-4 and love it.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are these going to be going for when they come out? 1600? 1700?

:roflol: $1,700.00 :roflol: thats funny No Brother, you can get one with shipping at $1,399. I have had dinners that cost more than that :roflol:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-1-6x24mm-rifle-scope-w-jm-1-bdc-reticle.html

I know that Ken Anderson at Nordic will have them very soon = he is on the forum but does not have them on his web page yet = send Ken a note! = same price as Optics planet and Nordic sponsors events and this forum

Get the mount from Nordic too = I like the 2" offset

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Vortex-Optics_c36.htm

Jamie

Edited by AlamoShooter

What are these going to be going for when they come out? 1600? 1700?

:roflol: $1,700.00 :roflol: thats funny No Brother, you can get one with shipping at $1,399. I have had dinners that cost more than that :roflol:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-1-6x24mm-rifle-scope-w-jm-1-bdc-reticle.html

I know that Ken Anderson at Nordic will have them very soon = he is on the forum but does not have them on his web page yet = send Ken a note! = same price as Optics planet and Nordic sponsors events and this forum

Get the mount from Nordic too = I like the 2" offset

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Vortex-Optics_c36.htm

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

Thanks for the write up Jamie. I think I just bought the last one in stock at Nordic! :cheers: What throw lever did you end up using?

The Last ONE ! OMG,- LOL Ken had 20 and did not take any pre-orders.

MGM / Travis did a run of four Prototypes. That fit and worked perfect. I really wanted a shorter Handel than the standard MGM and this one is perfect. I am not certain how fast the new ones will be ready to ship But calling for a pre-order with MGM would be a good Idea. I will get some photos up tonight.

The 1 to 6 zoom favors a leaver as it is not easy to turn with out it. The MGM leaver worked great at the Pro-Am Its a one pice Throw Ring not on the web site yet

http://www.mgmswitchview.com/index.htm

This photo shows the Reostat switch on the left side of the scope (pulled out) to unlock it. The elevation caps are removed to show 50 MOA of adjustment in one full turn, the knobs will make positve turns with gloves on.

Vortex1-6Leaver001.jpg

Edited by AlamoShooter

We will have Scope Levers for these available in a couple weeks, price should be $45 or less. If you'd like to pre-order email me chris@3gunstuff.com

Edited by rtr

The Last ONE ! OMG,- LOL Ken had 20 and did not take any pre-orders.

MGM / Travis did a run of four Prototypes. That fit and worked perfect. I really wanted a shorter Handel than the standard MGM and this one is perfect. I am not certain how fast the new ones will be ready to ship But calling for a pre-order with MGM would be a good Idea. I will get some photos up tonight.

The 1 to 6 zoom favors a leaver as it is not easy to turn with out it. The MGM leaver worked great at the Pro-Am Its a one pice Throw Ring not on the web site yet

http://www.mgmswitchview.com/index.htm

This photo shows the Reostat switch on the left side of the scope (pulled out) to unlock it. The elevation caps are removed to show 50 MOA of adjustment in one full turn, the knobs will make positve turns with gloves on.

Vortex1-6Leaver001.jpg

Nice pic Jamie!

The prototypes have been approved and the production run has been placed. Should have 200 of these ready to ship by the 7th. Give me a shout if you need me to bring one to the FNH or FB3G for ya.

Thanks for all the help with the R&D on this Jamie. Can't tell you how much we appreciate your support. See you in TX or WV!! Travel safe.

Adios,

TG

Edited by tgibson

I have a few more photos that may be helpful. I like that the MGM Throw Ring can be operated -Open handed- so that in - The rush under the clock- I don't shuv my thumb up under the mount and push on unmovable resistance. A damaged thumb at a match is no fun at all.

Vortex1-6Leaver002.jpg The ring in this photo is at 1X

The Scope has more eye relief that printed = thats a good thing, its very forgiving to face placement on the stock. what your going to want is mounting a bit farther forward than whats called normal.

The ring in this photo is at 6X

Vortex1-6Leaver006.jpg

at the place I like for 1X it can be hooked with the thumb or open handed and it will not snag in the case or bad on long trips. throw the gun on a table during a stage transition and you don't have to worry about the entire force of the gun on the Throw Ring.

Vortex1-6Leaver004.jpg

I will be at the Fallen Bretheren event and the BRM3G in October if you want to put your hand on it.

We will have Scope Levers for these available in a couple weeks, price should be $45 or less. If you'd like to pre-order email me chris@3gunstuff.com

Cool - Fast work Thanks Chris :cheers:

I think its crazy to run this scope with out a Throw ring Order one from from you favorite guy at the same time you order your scope. Or even have the Ring waiting for the scope to come.

Chis made one for my 1-4 that worked fine, and thin Vortex sent me one made by Travis with the Vortex Logo on it. I liked the MGM better , but my buddy liked the one by Chis better than or at least as much as the MGM

this is the one that fit the 1-4 Chris will let us know if the new one to fit the 1-6 is similar

3gunStuffcattail002.jpg

If the Reticle is truly daylight bright I may have to take a look at one for a back up rifle.

Pat

Mr Pat

The only thing that 60% of the SwarO shooters liked in the SwarO over the Razor was the bigger -Not Brighter- dot in the center. The other 40% of SwarO shooters Liked that the dot was smaller. <_< or was that 40- 60 the other way. Sat and Sunday I had shooters put the dot up into the sky on and off clouds in full sunlight and the dot stayed visible. its close to five times as bright as the my old 1-4 FFP. And the on Sunday it has the same battery that I put in it two weeks before.

I admit this scope is better than my Dear Love the 1-4 Razor with the EBR Reticle.

Send-It :bow: I like that Tag Line. Five years ago I did not know what it meant, now to hear that from a trusted friend is music

OK Edit ! Edit ! alert ! I did not tell any one to look at the Sun :wacko:

Edited by AlamoShooter

Jamie,

It's not brighter than this sun? Forget it now... :roflol:

No the dot is not Brighter than the Sun ...But My Smile was brighter than the sun after stage 8 and 4 :D

I love watching the video a buddy did for me, if it weren't for the shirt I would not know my self. = I look like a fast shooter.

Jamie,

It's not brighter than this sun? Forget it now... :roflol:

No the dot is not Brighter than the Sun ...But My Smile was brighter than the sun after stage 8 and 4 :D

I love watching the video a buddy did for me, if it weren't for the shirt I would not know my self. = I look like a fast shooter.

I feel like the tortise next to the hare, if you're slow!

From the pics I think I would like the turrets. Low profile but exposed so you can dial if need be.

Pat

The JM reticle does not have wind-age cheat marks in it. so my plan on any long stages with full value wind is to Dial in the wind If I move out to 500 yard

For now with 1/2 value at 500 as all I had to do was hold off the end of the bar.

I try-ed the knobs with gloves on just so I would know and I could feel them bump though a leather 'Trademaster' glove. I was going to say that I did not try it with my ski gloves but I figured what the heck and went to get them -OK - Tested the Winter gloves in the AC. I was able to turn on the Red dot and make adjustments easy and turn the Elev and wind age 4 click and thin back to Zero and be certain of it. My Wife has never touched the Razor controls = with her winter gloves on and never handling the scope controls she did OK but not great, the Red dot control was hard for her to grip, but the Elev and wind age was good she missed the Elevation Zero return buy one click. But that was more likely my Drill Sargent instructions. She is such a good girl.

Becareful with dialing wind. Last year in Texas a guy on our squad got dsylesic and dialed the wrong way with his Vortex and was missing the steel on the long stage.

I don't have much practice in the wind at long range admittedly.

It looks like this scope is a winner and the price is right. Glad someone finally made a scope in this price range with a good reticle, 1-6x and good illumination. Way to go Vortex.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Will they make this with the EBR reticle?

We can get Scott to post in at some point, But he said that other reticles were "in the works" I have one that I am putting the finishing touches on -"as part of a wish list " that looks good on the paper and has plenty of feedback for ranging distance. The scope on a gun with a bi-pod would be good stand alone observation and ranging tool with the rite reticle.

I have a pair of 18" see-through sideways diamondds outside the 500 yard bar with the tip of the diamon the full value wind hold off. 18" at 500 yards works out 1/2 Mill so at 1000y it is one full Mill combine that with the gap and the see through the diamond with the out line of it 0.025 thick.

Any way the math is working out great to have a MOA EBR style reticle with Mill crossover information.

Scott said they would look it over and I will get a chance to sell it to them.

Will they make this with the EBR reticle?

We can get Scott to post in at some point, But he said that other reticles were "in the works" I have one that I am putting the finishing touches on -"as part of a wish list " that looks good on the paper and has plenty of feedback for ranging distance.

I'm guessing it is probably pretty early to tell, however do they have any timelines on when they might know what reticles they would be offering? This is one of the ones on my consideration/wish list for optics, and maybe lucky for me I probably should save up a bit before buying one. Just curious what other offerings are "in the works" and when we might find out more about them. Of course, if they're not even fully developed much less decided upon I'll just have to wait.

Regardless, thanks for the review and follow up.

-Cheers