Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape for Glock, what's best

Blue Jacket

+1 on the skate tape. I cut out a template using cardboard and just trace it when I need a new set. I have been running the same tape for 4 years and it hasnt peeled up yet.

Edited by abn-rgr

I dropped the skate tape in favour of safety tape sold at auto supply stores. in my experience, the safety tape is rougher and so far....seems to last longer.

With skate tape, I had to replace it every year or so due to wear. Jury is still out on the safety tape.

From an auto supply store, the tape is around $40 here, huge roll. Would last forever even if you put it on all your guns.

Edited by Onagoth

Thanks I ordered some black Magic. $7 shipped for a 9 x 30 inch sheet. That should do a few grips and I am not out much if I don't like it

I'll buy it if you don't like it.

Some of the things I do when applying it:

I wipe the area of the grip with clear rubbing alcohol.

Warm the grip with a hair dryer.

Apply tape and really work the edges, sometimes I use a something round (can of One Shot) to roll the edges flat.

IIRC from the latest set of TruGrips I bought, that is the tape he uses. I've patterned some from the backing of older TruGrips and it works ok, just not as precise with the cuts and the like. Put my home-made ones on my SIRT pistol when I got it last year. Works fine.

I use emery powder #80 grit on epoxy adhesive. It lasts almost a lifetime, dont walk w/ hard use, can be retouched and can be chipped off when you dont want it anymore.

All grip tapes I tried walked on me w/ lots of dry firing.

TruGrip or GorillaGrip. I'm willing to pay for something that is already cut to fit and conform.

I reverse the overlay of the tape on the weak hand side. I found that, put on in the recommended fashion with the front/side panel over the back strap panel, no matter what I did the weak hand side would eventually delaminate as my weak side hand pushed forward on the tape as the gun recoiled. Reversing that means my hand, as it pushes down and forward, now reinforces the adhesion of the back strap tape on top of the side panel tape.

Another trick somebody taught me was to apply the tape, heat gently with a hair dryer, both to soften the tape for better conformation to the grip and to make the adhesive more sticky, then immediately wrap the grip tightly with about four feet of thin shock cord. Left overnight, it will make for a nice tight bond to the grip. I only need to change the tape when it gets too ratty looking, not because it peels off (unless I get oil/solvent under the edges). If it gets to gunked up with skin, a toothbrush, some mild hand soap and a quick tap water rinse does the job.

TruGrip or GorillaGrip. I'm willing to pay for something that is already cut to fit and conform.

I reverse the overlay of the tape on the weak hand side. I found that, put on in the recommended fashion with the front/side panel over the back strap panel, no matter what I did the weak hand side would eventually delaminate as my weak side hand pushed forward on the tape as the gun recoiled. Reversing that means my hand, as it pushes down and forward, now reinforces the adhesion of the back strap tape on top of the side panel tape.

Another trick somebody taught me was to apply the tape, heat gently with a hair dryer, both to soften the tape for better conformation to the grip and to make the adhesive more sticky, then immediately wrap the grip tightly with about four feet of thin shock cord. Left overnight, it will make for a nice tight bond to the grip. I only need to change the tape when it gets too ratty looking, not because it peels off (unless I get oil/solvent under the edges). If it gets to gunked up with skin, a toothbrush, some mild hand soap and a quick tap water rinse does the job.

When I really started to get into USPSA I used TruGrip which is much more like skate board tape and I've had to change after 1-2 years due to wear, never had a problem with them coming off. The last time I tried buying them, the retailer that I usually purchase my comp shooting stuff stopped carrying TruGrip and started carrying Gorilla Grip. I was wary because I've always used TruGrip, with the exception of the one time I tried AGrip a long time ago which I often forget but that's another story, but I gave in. And now I'm in favor of Gorilla Grip. The texture is a little like the 3M Safety-Walk anti-slip tape but not as rough. They seem to last longer. How much longer, I'm not sure yet. I do use 3M on pretty much everything else, PMags, M&P Shield, Walther P99, etc.

The post above has an interesting technique which I might try the next time but I usually don't have a problem with them coming off. I usually wrap the tape around my gun and rubber band, shock-cord, or para-cord in place and leave for a few hours (this is before removing the backing just to get the shape of the grip), then gently heat with a blow-dryer and apply as directed. Then re-wrap and leave overnight. The Gorilla Grips I've ordered didn't have instructions but goes on the same as TruGrips.

I tend to be a little lazy (ok a lot) and OCD so I bought a bunch of TruGrip when Eric announced it for Glock. No none of it is for sale!!!! I even bought some Black Magic in case it starts to delaminate. So check back in 5 years or so.