Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My draw time is horrific!

jarcher

Granted that's still a "warmed up" draw, but the match draws are around .90-1.0 on a consistent basis.

That's pretty good. In fact, I doubt anyone on the planet can say they have a par time match draw that would be any faster than that. World Champion Eric Grauffel once wrote that he strives for a consistent across the board draw time of 1.2 seconds. You be a speedy one for sure.

I'm now working for consistancy and the ability plug the A zone every time. Once I can do that I'll get that time down. Great advice, thanks to everyone! I have only shot one match so far and I was thrilled to see I didn't come in dead last, and that was before Steve's book arrived.

I'm in no hurry, so I'm just going to plug along at my own pace.

BTW, I read somewhere that IPSC and IDPA have gotton away from one hand shooting. Is this true?

BTW, I read somewhere that IPSC and IDPA have gotton away from one hand shooting. Is this true?

Not really. Some stages require you to manipulate one prop with one hand while holding the gun in the other (like holding a window open, for example, to be able to engage targets).

Although, back here, I've never really seen a draw and transfer to weak hand start in a stage.

• 6 years later...

Hey,

I'm a junior production shooter(A-class),and I have been shooting for a little over 2 1/2 years. I just did some draws today at about 10yrds, and my times were consistently at the .90-1sec range. This was out of production legal gear, using a g34 with a stock trigger.

no its more just the clubs that you go to and some people that set up some matches might be bad at 1 handed shooting so they never set up any stages that require it and then you think to yourself ''NOBODY does strong hand/ weak hand anymores'''

the holster is a High Noon slide guard.

this one?

Highnoon2b.jpg

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say maybe it IS your holster slowing you down a bit?

A bad holster that is poorly positioned i could imagine might slow you down A-lot like .5-1 seconds alot. Im not saying your holster IS bad, ive never used it, but im just throwing the idea out there.

I see some dudes that got thier holster so loose that thier gun is just jangling around in there and it would just fall out if you bumped the gun into something on accident. lol. I mean i got this Blade Tech adjustable tek lok holster for my XDM9 and just out of simple principle i like to keep it tight enough where you can turn it upside down and shake it a bit with the gun in it and the gun dont fall out. One thing though my holster is not at what one would call a 'practical' or 'concealed carry' height. I got it adjusted a bit lower on the hipline, really the lower the gun is on your hip the easier it is for you to snatch it.

me and my holster:

http://northwestsection.org/nwc10/photos/Saturday%20Shooters/IMG_1888.jpg

Edited by Field

Also practicing in front of a full length mirror is a good thing. To be quick, the draw stroke has to be 100 efficient - zero wasted arm / hand movement, and little to no movement in the upper body and head. And for a surrender draw the hand move initiates from the upper shoulder - your shoulder "flings" your hand to the gun. Learned that from Chip McCormick at the 1981 Steel Challenge. After watching him shoot Double Trouble - I was blown away. So I milked the crap out of him untiil I went away knowing exactly what to practice.

be

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey,

I'm a junior production shooter(A-class),and I have been shooting for a little over 2 1/2 years. I just did some draws today at about 10yrds, and my times were consistently at the .90-1sec range. This was out of production legal gear, using a g34 with a stock trigger.

:bow: The Glock 34 is sweet

Don't get fast get smooth. Get a perfect draw every time and it will get faster as your confidence grows. I would rather draw slower than the other guy but hit my grip right on the money every single time than be the fastest draw alive and suffer an imperfect grip for the stage.

When I hit my grip I shoot Alpha's and Zero's depending on the game of the day. When I get a so-so grip I shoot Charlie's and points down. Sure I get out of the holster stupid fast but 1 point down gives back a whole half a second and Charlie's cost way more than a slower draw.

Do the mirror thing Brian suggested because it will do all the things he said it would and more. I like using my dominant eye as the target because if I see what I want to see (the sights and my own eye) I know I hit the draw dead on and I'm going to do the same to the target.

Don't practice for fast. Practice for perfect.

I like to practice my draw standing on one foot and then the other. Also sitting, on my knees, or any other odd position I can think of to draw from. It makes me believe that I can hit my grip no matter what crazy start position someone cooks up. Have you ever gotten to a stage and heard the description and said to yourself "Oh god I have to do that to start with." or "I have to get to my gun then load it first. Oh no!". I used to do that a lot. I never do anymore I just smile and feel like I'm going to make up ground or stretch a lead on stuff like that because I'm not afraid of it.

It was once said that people do stressful things in a controlled state of panic. So Don't Panic. If you get smooth and consistent you become fearless and fearless is fun :devil:

This is going to sound silly but say this to yourself every time your up on a stage. "Go fast but never hurry."

Good luck! I hope you draw perfect forever :cheers:

• 2 months later...

The position of your hands at the beep make a difference, too, altho not much, maybe .05-.10 second. Many guys' reaction time is .05 second slower than the top men's reactions, too. Many are very fast to the hip point, and then slow to full extention at eye level, with both hands on the gun. .60 second is very fast. I'd have to see it to believe it, with a "surrender" hand-start position, production gear, live ammo, and a 5 draw average, all shots counted, and only hits to count. Sure, now and then, but that is the definition of a "fluke".

Edited by cannot

• 1 month later...

I discovered it takes more time, and consistant practice, than I thought it would. Or, I am a slow learner :unsure:

I first opened Steve's book this past December. After doing the drills for three days, my par time for drill #1 was 1.8 seconds. I s-lo-w-l-y worked my way down to 1.1 seconds in five months, but been stuck there for the past 30 days. I do not live fire this drill very often, but decided to do so yesterday, after my dry fire session. At 10 AM, I live fired drill #1 in one second flat (yes, it was an alpha)! My second shot was a delta, so I stepped back and collected myself. The next three draws were all alphas, and all one second flat. :D

That made my day . . . week . . . month ! ! !