Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hardcrome - What to do/not do

D.Hayden

As soon as my new gun is ready.. I'm sending off my Kimber to get hard chromed, except for a recent failure to eject, it runs great (about 8-10K rounds through it), and it's beat to #### from the Kydex holster I use.

I searched though posts, I could find alot of where/why, but not what to get hard chromed.

I'm sending it to Tripp, talked with Virgil about it, but I didn't ask him what parts should be done (didn't think about it).

Should I just send the whole gun? Or leave out the barrell? Or just not have him do some parts (someone told me to leave a few parts un-done).

Thanks in advance.. Dave

Frame (BTW, get the front strap and under the trigger guard checkered too)

Mainspring Housing

Thumb Safety

Grip Safety

Hammer (if it's not already silver in color)

Mag catch

Slide

Extractor (maybe. But there are SS extractors out there)

Barrel Bushing (if you have one and it's not SS)

However, I'd talk with Virgil and discuss what you want the gun to look like after it's done.

Rich

Dave,

When I talked to Virgil I asked the same thing and he told me to send in the entire gun. As per his site; he won't chrome the hammer or sear and the barrel is an extra charge. Any questions, just call him. He's a cool guy.

Ed

I've got a hard chromed barrel. The outside, not the inside. I had d#mn near everything on that gun chromed, including the extractor.

The list of what not to chrome is probably shorter than the list of parts to chrome.

Cool.. this place rocks...

I've heard getting the inside of the barrel is ok too?... since the coating is so thin?

Any opinions?

Is it worth it for a a cheap factory Kimber barrel?

Ok, I'm not above asking dumb questions:

On the Tripp site:

Complete 1911 (stainless barrel/no plate)

Complete 1911 (carbon steel barrel/plate)

How do I know I have a stainless or carbon steel barrel? Kimber catalog lists it as "Steel" vs. the better "Stainless Steel", but can you tell by looking?

Ed... did you have yours done yet?

Ed... did you have yours done yet?

No, I'm not done “whittling” on it yet. I’m going to have the trigger guard undercut, install an Ed Brown grip safety (Virgil say’s that’s a virtual “drop in” in my Kimber Gold Match II… we’ll see) and trade the HUGE ambi thumb safety for a USGI-like single sided one. And yes, I’ve thought the thumb safety thing all the way through so no one needs to jump in and “save me”!

Besides, I’ve only one IPSC pistol and though I know Virgil’s fast, I don’t want to be without it until this winter.

Ed

The only time I took the time to send a gun off for plating was in the mid 80's. I sent my Browning Competition to Metalloy. (Since then everything has been shot in the white, except for the new SX Pro that Bob is building for me.)

When I had the Browning plated, we did everything except the springs, guide rod plug (ball spring inside) and the inside of the barrel. Browning are slightly softer than 1911 and even the Cylinder & Slide hammer was only around 38-42 R.C. Metalloy provided a R.C. 70 hardeness and extremely low coefficent of friction and a bath temperature of 135° F.

Times and processes change, I would talk with your plater.

Kenny

It is possible, as Shooter Grrrrl (did I put enough rrrrrs in there?) :P said, if the plating isn't done properly, the clearances that the gun had will not be there and the gun won't run. If you are going to have your gun plated, take it to someone who has a good rep and, if it isn't done right, they will do it again. Quite a few of the bigger shops use Accurate Plating in FLA.

is the black chrome process the same as "ordinary" hard chrome?

is it true that black chrome is a separate or another plating job over the hard chrome and if done incorrectly, the black finish will peel off?

I've talked to Accurate Plating who is our primary refinishing company concerning the method of application. They apply a nickel or chrome base coat then the black goes on top. I've personally seen this finish on many guns. It wears like bluing. The only advantage that I can see is that you still have the base coat for protection when the black top coat wears off. One of our local shooters had this process done against our recommendation on a stainless 1911 Officer Model. The holster wear alone was fast and ugly.

thanks reneet!

another concern i always hear are for pistols that have been refinished several times already is that the metal becomes brittle from the heating process that cracks eventually develop. any truth to this? i'd surmise, the cracks will be from it being shot with several thousands of rounds rather than from the plating process...

I sent my Kimber to Tripp Tuesday 8/3.

The site says 7 days...

I'm thinking 7 business days, that he's in the shop, shipping, etc.. so I'm hoping 3-4 weeks to have it back in my hands..

Got it today! Amazing. Pistol looks great. The feed ramp is like a mirror!

A little slide glide #1, it's feels good to go. I'll find out tomorrow how it shoots.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations for Tripp Research, and thanks to Virgil for the amazing turn-around, and great workmanship.

Do not get the mags chromed. I made the mistake of getting my mags chromed (they were blue originally not stainless) when I got my pistol chromed and ended up having to replace several tubes because the tolerences were too tight.

Do not get the mags chromed.

No, do get your mags chromed. :)

Ditto a la Erik. My Para tubes are a lot slicker now that Beven Grams had them chromed as part of his tune up. Got three, waiting on the other six. :D