Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

alternative to spray paint

amish_rabbi

Yeah, same with me, spend lots of money every month on spray paint but I really don't know of another way. I have asked the shooters that if they make two runs, to please skip the painting between runs. That saves time and money.

One gallon of cheap white latex paint, 1 or 2 cheap paint rollers for each stage, 1 cheap paint roller tray for each stage, and a couple 12 packs of plastic paint roller tray liners.

It's a little messier than spray paint, but it's quick, and actually covers better so the plates have a more uniform appearance.

One gallon of cheap white latex paint, 1 or 2 cheap paint rollers for each stage, 1 cheap paint roller tray for each stage, and a couple 12 packs of plastic paint roller tray liners.

It's a little messier than spray paint, but it's quick, and actually covers better so the plates have a more uniform appearance.

This is my favorite.

Possibly look at better grades of spray paint - the cheap stuff has less pigment in it, so you have to spray more. It might end up cheaper to buy the good stuff.

i was buying good paint, that's why it ended up being $100 sadly

latex paint works? oh good cause that was the only other option i could come up with. i will try it for our weekly practice nights and if it works ill use it at matches

Anything cheap and white will do. I have even used something close to white that was on sale because it didn't get picked up at Home Depot. I have used primer that I found in the garage. Anything white that will stick to a roller will do.

Buy the $1 per can white spray paint from Walmart. It is the best of the cheap stuff. We use ~ 12 cans per steel match. I'd usually just buy a case, then the club's USPSA and IDPA matches would have enough for the month as well.

We used to buy the cheap OSH paint at $2/can. I recently switched to Rustoleum 2x that cost a little more, $2.50/can on sale, but we use about 1/3 less, so it's actually cheaper. We use about 8 cans per match, for 35-40 guns. We tried the cheap Lowe's paint, $1/can and ended up using 16 cans.

We used to buy the cheap OSH paint at $2/can. I recently switched to Rustoleum 2x that cost a little more, $2.50/can on sale, but we use about 1/3 less, so it's actually cheaper. We use about 8 cans per match, for 35-40 guns. We tried the cheap Lowe's paint, $1/can and ended up using 16 cans.

This is what we found as well. I have some experience in the paint business. The $1 can at Walmart has less than half the solids (paint) of a $2 can from Home Depot. The Walmart can has more solvents, so you see the same amount of spray come out, but less "White" covers the target, so you spray more to do the job.

The opposite is true of roll on paint - you get way more solids than you really need. If you want to go the roll on route, thin it down.

Mark K.

My son and I have our own set of steel targets, enough to set up any one stage at a time. The Rustoleum white primer seems to work the best for us, but it's not inexpensive by the can. For the coverage I think it's about as economical as anything though. Today I used some white primer from a can and used a small roller to put it on in the shop to get good coverage and to get the plates looking good, edges covered well, etc. It seems to cover where bullets have hit better than the spray stuff. Probably because of more pigment in the primer and/or just being easier to put on thicker.

For our own use I've thought about using a cordless electric sprayer with some white latex paint or primer in it. It would save money on paint. The Ryobi unit seems to be pretty cheaply made and I'm not sure it would last long. It's only $99 or so. Graco makes a much nicer, higher quality unit but it's over $300.

I must be using old math. lol :)

I used to collect paint through out the year for our annual steel challenge match. We would dump it all in 5 gallon buckets and mix it all together, get the cheap paint rollers from menards and have at it. I got sick of the mess and clean up though. Last year I went back to white spray paint. Spent countless hours with an air chisel and wire brush getting the build up of paint off of our targets. Some of the targets had 3/8" of paint build up on them. The paint always came out with a pink tint to it. It didn't matter what color we put in to the mix, it always came out pink.

I must be using old math. lol :)

Okay, I didn't know I was being graded :goof:

OSH = 8 x 3/2 = 12 12 x $2 = $24

Rustoleum 2x 8 x $2.50 = $20

Lowes 16 x $1 = $16

Lowes was a little cheaper, but it didn't cover nearly as well and it took twice as long to apply. :P

Saying you want something cheap and white will get a man into a power of trouble in some parts. :devil:

Cheap white flat paint in 1gallon tins. Roller or brush. Don't loose lid. Lasts a long time. I actually carry my own paint and brush when I go to some ranges as some people are dumber than a sack of hammers and leave the paint out and the brush sitting on the top. :angry2:

• 3 weeks later...

Spent countless hours with an air chisel and wire brush getting the build up of paint off of our targets. Some of the targets had 3/8" of paint build up on them.

A 12 gauge shotgun and a box of #8 shells would have made very short work of that project.

(not my vid, just a fan)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of by shooting buddies bought a pallet of white and red paint off Ebay or something at close to $.50 a can that works exceptionally well. Has a straight out shooting nozzle that keeps the paint off your hands and the cans are oversize in weight also. Can't remember the brand. He has been supplying to our club free since around early 2011.

Saying you want something cheap and white will get a man into a power of trouble in some parts. :devil:

Cheap white flat paint in 1gallon tins. Roller or brush. Don't loose lid. Lasts a long time. I actually carry my own paint and brush when I go to some ranges as some people are dumber than a sack of hammers and leave the paint out and the brush sitting on the top. :angry2:

Try the cheapy foam brushs and throw them away.