Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? 9mm too Hot ?

chancesR

124 gr. Montana Gold HP - 5.0gr. WSF - COL 1.130 - Fed Match SPP

Gun S&W M&P Pro 5" bbl. (powder measurement verified with bal.beam and digital scale)

My Winchester book notes 4.7 to 5.3 velocity 1015 - 1115,

6 shot string Avg.1240, spread 5.83, SD 2.0

1237, 1241, 1239, 1238, 1239,1243

No abnormal cartridge signs. Do I hold what I have or should I lighten up a little bit? Recoil does not seem heavy and accuracy is better than factory RN. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

You should lighten the powder or lengthen your cartridge. The load data is based on 1.169 COAL and a 4 inch barrel. 153 PF on your slowest round is pretty hot.

Edited by sroe3

That is too hot for my liking. I try and stay around 130-135pf. I shoot the same gun- M&P pro 5" 9mm and I run my oal at 1.15 and have never had any problems. Try to load a little longer and reduce the powder a little and go from there. I like to use 147g bullets with 3.1g of TG @ 1.15. Gives me a 130pf.

Too hot for what?

For 9mm minor? Yes.

For a general 9x19 round for shooting? Maybe.

Here is my compiled data:

Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Note P.F. COL

Hdy HP-XTP 124 WSF 4.6 1109 Accurate 138 1.096

FMJ 124 WSF 4.7 1015 Start 126 1.150-1.169

FMJ 124 WSF 5.0 1100 Max 136 1.150

FMJ 124 WSF 5.3 1115 Max 138 1.150-1.169

J-all 124 WSF 5.3 1170 Max 145 >1.10

Personally, at 5.0gn, if I saw no sign of over pressure (you can measure case expansion about 1/4" above the extractor groove for your loads and factory loads to get a very round idea of comparable pressure-that, and felt recoil and how far the cases are thrown compared to factory ammo will give you a good comparative idea of pressure), I would probably still drop 0.2gn and see how things are. No sense beating up your gun for velocity without any need. If you want to lower the charge weight, you certainly have room to.

That is too hot for my liking. I try and stay around 130-135pf. I shoot the same gun- M&P pro 5" 9mm and I run my oal at 1.15 and have never had any problems. Try to load a little longer and reduce the powder a little and go from there. I like to use 147g bullets with 3.1g of TG @ 1.15. Gives me a 130pf.

Where do you shoot at, Colorado?

I run 121-124 bullets with WSF in the 4.8~5.0gr range and never get that high velocity. How is the crimp? Are you getting bullet set back? That would be my guess or what I,d check.

That's way too heavy IMO, if you are target shooting or shooting competitively. Most people try to get ~130-135pf. That's REALLY good SD though, so I would just back it down a bit and load it a little longer. I load my 124gr to 1.140" with 4.5gr of Win 231, I get 135pf.

Edited by polizei1

I run 121-124 bullets with WSF in the 4.8~5.0gr range and never get that high velocity. How is the crimp? Are you getting bullet set back? That would be my guess or what I,d check.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm new to centerfire reloading so have a lot to learn. I would guess that set back would give a varying velocity, so doubt that's the problem. OAL can be adjusted but feeds good in 3 different guns so I don't want to change more than one varible so I will cut back to 4.8 and give it another go. Thanks again for the help.

That's way too heavy IMO, if you are target shooting or shooting competitively. Most people try to get ~130-135pf. That's REALLY good SD though, so I would just back it down a bit and load it a little longer. I load my 124gr to 1.140" with 4.5gr of Win 231, I get 135pf.

I have a case of 9mm CMJ 124gr from Montana Gold on his way and I'll try your recipe ;)

I have a case of 9mm CMJ 124gr from Montana Gold on his way and I'll try your recipe ;)

Keep in mind I'm using PD 124gr FMJ, I've heard the MG CMJ's are a slight bit slower, but it should get you pretty close.

Thanks for all the great input. I'm new to centerfire reloading so have a lot to learn. I would guess that set back would give a varying velocity, so doubt that's the problem. OAL can be adjusted but feeds good in 3 different guns so I don't want to change more than one varible so I will cut back to 4.8 and give it another go. Thanks again for the help.

Im loading 1.124 with 124 mg cmj. Feeds good in my m&p pro.

I use 4.2 tg and get a steady 128 to 130.

Try using the lower end of your powder, I already knew I had to be in middle range from when I used 147s.

Also did you check your bullets by pushing the bullet nose into your bench to see if your OAL is changing? If it is you need to adjust crimp like previously suggested.

If its fine just back down on the powder, your OAL is fine if it works in your guns.

How far from the chrono are you? Being that consistent but higher than expected I might suspect a chrono error of some kind.

approx. 10'....but I have measured other loads with much greater spreads. Not saying it is not possible that it could be in error though. I've dropped down to 4.7gr of WSF and will shoot the trial batch later this week. Thanks again for the replies.

I think you might have had some error with the chrono. I've seen a bunch of G17 (4.5") chrono data posted, and most guys are getting 1060-1100fps @ 5.0gr WSF. I know it's a different gun, and a .5" longer barrel, but I can't imagine that would result in a 140fps+ gain in velocity. I'll be tuned in to see what you come up with.

OK, with the previous replys I got to thinking about OAL...I have been warned about thinking in the past :goof: Anyway putting a Montana Gold 124 HP in a fired case and then inserting into my barrel of the M&P, I got a max OAL of 1.153. Another site suggested backing off this 0.015, rounding off for the convenience of data......so I wind up with 1.135 as the suggested OAL. While I am sure chambering will cause set-back in longer loads, the bullet would be 'jammed' into the lands. So at max, my OAL can't be longer than 1.150......Right? And shorter to be safe.

Edited by chancesR

You need to find a recipe which is accurate at 20 yards with no elevation adjustment, cycles very well and burns clean, with little fouling or oily residue and manageable, consistant muzzle flip.

And yes, a PF of 155 is hot. These sound like good self defense rounds (if you cycle 100%).

I'm going to second/third the suggestion of checking the chrono itself.

I loaded 1.145 in my factory M&P barrel, then switched to 1.125 when I picked up a KKM drop in. Using the same projectile and powder charge (124 grain MG JHP, 4.2 grains N320), I observed only nominal increases in velocity and no notable differences in pressure signs-- and who knows how much of it was just the new barrel vs the old one!

With 200+ FPS over what you expected, there would almost certainly be some pressure indications if you were truly on the edge/running over the safe zone. ESPECIALLY with the soft Federal SPP.

OK..looks like the chrono wasn't correct. Same original load out of a XD: 1113, 1084, 1078, 1095 Then tried the M&P Pro again, 1124, 1122, 1121, 1100, 1076, 1101, 1117, 1136, 1109, 1113. So the 5.0 WSF is running what is expected! But I tried 4.7gr @ 1061, 1042, 1083, 1067, 1061, 1039, 1038, 1078, 1058, 1060. So this seems like for general target and IDPA this will work. Appreciate the help and any additional comments.