Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack 40, weight issues

Smitty4313

Hey gang! Just got my rig all set up, put her on the scale, and I'm half an ounce over the 43 ounce limit. I'll give you the rundown of the build:

Caspian Race-ready frame - steel

Para Ord upper, 5"

Bo-Mar lo mount w/front post

Full length guide rod/plug - stainless on both

Standard slide release and safety - non extended/non ambi

Mag release is a Wilson oversize - the square one

Wilson Beavertail - steel

Wilson flat msh - steel

Grips are VZ Operator 2's - G10

Mag is a Wilson 47D

What should I be changing to make weight?

Thanks all!

Smitty

Consider having your gunsmith (I recommend Freedom Gun Works) tri-top the slide to reduce the weight.

Mark K.

My Caspian SS is tri Topped and still had weight issues.

There are some good ideas posted above too

Hey gang! Just got my rig all set up, put her on the scale, and I'm half an ounce over the 43 ounce limit. I'll give you the rundown of the build:

Caspian Race-ready frame - steel

Para Ord upper, 5"

Bo-Mar lo mount w/front post

Full length guide rod/plug - stainless on both

Standard slide release and safety - non extended/non ambi

Mag release is a Wilson oversize - the square one

Wilson Beavertail - steel

Wilson flat msh - steel

Grips are VZ Operator 2's - G10

Mag is a Wilson 47D

What should I be changing to make weight?

Thanks all!

Smitty

If your only half an ounce over I would get an aluminum guide rod and a plastic MSH and you should be money!

I wanted to keep the weight in the frame and out of the slide, so I'm sending my Caspian .40 to Freedom Gunworks for tri-topping. I'll be able to keep the steel FLGR that way, and the weight reduction will come off the reciprocating mass.

Caspian frames are definite chunky. The trigger guards are THICK.

Hello: Caspian make aluminum mainspring housings and grip safeties. The Briley aluminum full length guide rod is great :cheers: You also use a titanium firing pin,mainspring cap. You could also use lighter grips. Lastly you could open up the trigger gaurd to make it square inside. Thanks, Eric

Blah, I hated my plastic MSH I had on my Spartan and switched to get a Dawson to work with the no-gap magwell, it's such a better feel. As others said, I'd put some pockets in those grips and use an aluminum guide-rod.

Get rid of the G-10 grips. They look cool but are really heavy.

I'll bet if you install a set of those Ergo textured grips, you will love the way they feel, and you'll make weight. They might not look fancy, but they are very functional with just the right amount of "grippiness."

1339944543[/url]' post='1726192']

Get rid of the G-10 grips. They look cool but are really heavy.

I'll bet if you install a set of those Ergo textured grips, you will love the way they feel, and you'll make weight. They might not look fancy, but they are very functional with just the right amount of "grippiness."

Eeeeeeew lol

A lot of the grip companies now are cutting out the backs of their G10s to make them lighter. I know tech well does.

My Predator Tactical Iron Shrike 40 was at 43.4 oz. I hogged out the grips and now I am at 42.7 oz. Not sure what else I can do. It has a plastic MSH and does not use a FLGR. I am hoping that there is not that much deviation at matches in what scales are reading. I used both a food scale and a postal scale. Both read Identical! Thoughts?

:surprise:

My Predator Tactical Iron Shrike 40 was at 43.4 oz. I hogged out the grips and now I am at 42.7 oz. Not sure what else I can do. It has a plastic MSH and does not use a FLGR. I am hoping that there is not that much deviation at matches in what scales are reading. I used both a food scale and a postal scale. Both read Identical! Thoughts?

Are you running a magwell? Might be some weight there. There is a lot of extra weight in some 1911 frames under the grips

Go to a GI style guide rod. Full length rods don't really do anything anyways. It will be easier to disassemble and you'll make weight. People think that the full length rod keeps the spring straight and captured. What they don't realize is that the with a GI set up, the spring is 95% captured by the guide and the long cap already. The full length guide rod was one of those solutions to a problem which didn't exist.

I would wager you don't have a plastic MSH. That said, a postal scale is often used.

FWIW, there's a pretty big variation in magazine weight too. So, keep that in mind when shaving ounces here and there.