Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW Case Gauge - what do you use?

Browning40

I have a 7 round EGW case gauge and have used it while loading 40 S&W to 1.12 - 1.135. It's an excellent case gauge and I highly recommend it to anyone loading to factory spec lengths.

My issue is when I extend the loaded length to 1.145+, the rounds do on drop fully into the case gauge. It's not the case diameter. If I shorten the OAL the round drops in the gauge perfectly. In the longer loads the bullet appears to be stopping in the gauge due to the reduced diameter of the end of the gauge. It will drop fine into the barrel but not the gauge.

I've searched the web looking for a description that indicates the EGW case gauge is calibrated for an factory spec OAL but cannot find any info on the gauge being calibrated to an OAL.

What are you folks using to check the case diameter when loading 1.16 - 1.20?

Anyone using the Double Alpha 20 round case gauge for long loads?

Thanks for your help.

I use the barrel of the gun that said ammo will be shot out of... after I clean the chamber.

Pat

I use a dirty chamber.. because not very many shots during a match are fired on a clean chamber. :cheers:

The entire goodness of the EGW gauge is that it actually has a real chamber including a throat made to minimum specs. So if it fits the egw it will fit a in spec chamber. Dillon gauge is much looser and has no throat (a bullet will fall right thru it). I had a gun smith run a reamer into my EGW

to make it match my KKM barrel. It's nearly perfect. I am going to have him mill .125" off it as well so it's easier to push the bullets out. Lead bullets often have a smudge of lead that kinda makes them stick a little.

Edited by 98sr20ve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I lost the one I had so I ordered two new ones. My challenge will be finding one tight enough to work. My barrel wants .427 or less. SAAMI spec is .424. So I am hoping at least one of them is .427 MAX. I am also getting ready to run all my brass through either a Bulge Buster or a GR-X to ensure they are all under .427 before I start to reload them.

The Dilon is way to loose, cartridges that haven't been in the FC falls through it. Without the post size in the FC they won't chamber at all but clears in the Dillon gauge.

The EGW is way tighter, even a tiny bit tighter than my barrel.

Use your barrel, imho it is the best choice. I case gauged some precision 230/45, they gauged good but were a problem with oal in the pistol.

The problem using the barrel as a case gauge is the barrel does NOT fully enclose the round all the way to the case rim the same way a case gauge does. The area of the feed ramp leaves a sizeable portion of the case rim exposed. A 'Glocked' case may seat fully into the chamber IF it happens to be properly clocked so the bulge fits into the feed ramp area, but may NOT chamber if the round is rotated 90 degrees.

The best choice is a case gauge reamed with the same ream as your chamber. Second choice would be the EGW gauge reamed to match your chamber, if that's not possible, third choice is a commercial case gauge that will NOT accept a fired case from your chamber. If a fired case from your chamber will fit the case gauge it is too loose.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

I just received my Double Alpha Golden Case Gauge. EGW makes excellent products but their case gauge will not accept long loads. I highly recommend the Double Alpha gauge. The design enables you to load and unload two rounds at a time.

Not cheap but case gauges don't wear out!

Steve

I just received my Double Alpha Golden Case Gauge. EGW makes excellent products but their case gauge will not accept long loads. I highly recommend the Double Alpha gauge. The design enables you to load and unload two rounds at a time.

Steve

So will the DAA case gauges take 40 OAL's out past 1.20"?

Edited by MEAT

Got the Dillon today. Had about 100 cases that would not fit my gun so I checked them with the Dillon. 7 passed the Dillon but are to big to fit my gun. They all measured .4275, My barrel needs .4270. I am waiting on one more gauge that will be here on Monday, so I will see if it is tighter or looser than the Dillon and then go from there.

Steve

So will the DAA case gauges take 40 OAL's out past 1.20"?

Can't say from experience.

I have a L.E. Wilson gauge that is tighter then my chamber, but still takes long rounds. Might try one of those.

How tight is the Wilson? It would be nice to have a gauge that I know is tighter than my chamber. That way after a loading session any that failed that gauge could be checked with my Dillon. Those that passed the Dillon (.4275") would be the only ones I would have to barrel check (.4270"), and those I could stick in a box until I have a 100 or so. Any that fail both gauges could be shortened and shot out of my Glocks.