Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vest

okorpheus

Is anyone using a scottevest for concealment. I was considering one before starting IDPA and just wondering if anyone had good luck with one and if it's long enough to cover a pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You might want to try Smith and Alexander vests. I have two: black, and, olive drab.

Great vests, crappy web page. They are half the price of Scottievests.

If you decide to purchase, call them. Don't order off the web page. It sucks.

These vets are awesome. Lightweight and they look great. I am really surprised more IDPA shooters don't wear them. I like mine so much, I even wear them when I am not carrying.

My advice on this is to decide what you want in a vest then read reviews. They all have very distinct characteristics that will either suit you or make you angry. I went with the woolrich after reading that it was light overall but swung away easily which is what I wanted. The 5.11 tactical is stiff and swings away nicely but is extremely heavy which won't do in southern Alabama.

I wear my vest for about 5 minutes per match. I don't really care about the weight at all. If I was forced to wear it all day, you're right, the black 5.11 vest is hot in the summer, but it doesn't matter.

I wear my vest for about 5 minutes per match. I don't really care about the weight at all. If I was forced to wear it all day, you're right, the black 5.11 vest is hot in the summer, but it doesn't matter.

Which is why I still use it and haven't thought about buying another.

Smith Alexander vest are way too lightweight for competition. They tend to hang up and get in the way. Wear the heaviest and stiffest vest that you can. The 5.11 are nice because you can leave the velcro panels in them to add even more stiffness.

The weight of a vest doesn't matter because you only wear it for a total of 3 minutes per match. I always chuckle when I see people standing around sweating while wearing their vest. You can take it off when you aren't shooting.

You can take it off when you aren't shooting.

What's next, bag your gun between stages so you aren't carrying around an unnecessary couple of pounds?

I like to pretend I am CCW and keep my gun under concealment. Kind of in the Spririt Of The Game and an effort to Do Right.

What's next, bag your gun between stages so you aren't carrying around an unnecessary couple of pounds?

I like to pretend I am CCW and keep my gun under concealment. Kind of in the Spririt Of The Game and an effort to Do Right.

:lol:

Me too! I like to pretend I am a chairborne ranger when I am in full Tactical Timmy wear at an IDPA match.

Me too! I like to pretend I am a chairborne ranger when I am in full Tactical Timmy wear at an IDPA match.

In Texas in the late spring and summer most of us take it off between stages because of the heat, and for most matches at the peak of the summer we don't require vests at all during the match. It's simply too hot outside.

But what do you do when you want to really wear a gun to town?

BUG in your shorts pocket? OK.

I wear a gun in a IWB holster. When I play the IDPA game I wear my GAME gear. When I'm not shooting I take off my vest. When I get done with the IDPA GAME I put my real carry gear back on.

I like to pretend I am CCW and keep my gun under concealment. Kind of in the Spirit Of The Game and an effort to Do Right.

Bingo. It's the reason I wear an untucked lightweight cotton shirt over a T instead of a vest.

OTOH, once the temps get above the mid 80's I like to pretend I'm in an open carry state and take off that shirt between runs. It got so hot at the last indoor match I shot the match director eliminated cover garments on the last two stages. :excl:

In Texas in the late spring and summer most of us take it off between stages because of the heat, and for most matches at the peak of the summer we don't require vests at all during the match. It's simply too hot outside.

Bingo! If one is standing in the shade then it maybe tolerable. But anyone out scoring or pasting won't last long. Witnessed a shooter feint while sitting on a chair in the shade on one of our Texas 100+ deg days.

I agree on trying it out beforehand. A comfortable sweep is important. These look like they could be a little tight.

Not to thread derail but:

"What's next, bag your gun between stages so you aren't carrying around an unnecessary couple of pounds?

I like to pretend I am CCW and keep my gun under concealment. Kind of in the Spririt Of The Game and an effort to Do Right."

Are you insinuating that anyone who removes their vest while participating in IDPA should be issued an FTDR? I assume you conceal carry. In an effort to be more comfortable in a situation where it is appropriate, have you never removed your cover garment? That's interesting.

I would not FTDR somebody for taking off his vest.

I would, however give him a PE for shooting without it.

Of course somebody will usually remind him of the lack before he starts, in which case he runs around like a chicken with its head cut off because he forgot where he left it. In which case I would move him to the end of the line so he could get his act together without delaying the show.

Edited by Jim Watson

Anyone here use the Armadillo Concealment Vests?

Not yet, but I have ordered one. They look pretty slick and the Sells are good folks and hardcore shooters, so they know what works. I'll update when I get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here use the Armadillo Concealment Vests?

Not yet, but I have ordered one. They look pretty slick and the Sells are good folks and hardcore shooters, so they know what works. I'll update when I get it.

I just got my armadillo concealment vest two months ago and have used it in two IDPA matches thus far. Absolutely love it, great vest and worth the price and wait time.

When it is 95 degrees and high humidity, I'll take off the vest ASAP.