Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3Gun Rifle Barrel - Q?

tagacali

Do you want flutes cuz they look cool? I would recommend a JP barrel and one of there "thermal dissapators" (heat sink). That way you have a light weight barrel, but far better cooling then a fluted barrel. Oh...and they shoot VERY well too!

Take care,Stan

JP makes an 18" light profile barrel with a .750" gas block diameter. You can get it in polished stainless, bead blasted, or black. You can get it as a complete assembly or just the barrel. You can get a low profile gas block or a railed block. You can have it in a house and you can have it with a mouse. You can have it on a train, you can have it in a plane.

I was leaning towards 1:8 twist but it's just hard for me to get one with a fluted barrel

Loki's got one.

JP makes an 18" light profile barrel with a .750" gas block diameter. You can get it in polished stainless, bead blasted, or black. You can get it as a complete assembly or just the barrel. You can get a low profile gas block or a railed block. You can have it in a house and you can have it with a mouse. You can have it on a train, you can have it in a plane.

I've got a JP LW 18". It's sub MOA with Hornady 55gr FMJs at 200 yards. That's good 'nuff. It doesn't complain when I get it hot.

I agree that 1/8 is the best "all around" barrel if you like to shoot a variety of loads. 16-20" with a med to light profile will work fine.

My TI rifles both have 20" 1/9 barrels, CL CMV GI profile. If you don't go too bullet heavy these are fine. I shoot 55 grains at everything. There a several good 1/7 20" GI profile barrels out there.

I wouldn't say you need fluting, or a heat sink. Don;t need SS, nitride, or Chrome lining. However a med to light profile is nice, no matter the length. With a good FF handguard, trigger, and sighting sytem; most barrels will shoot plenty good enough for 3-gun.

Wow, really?

Well, this thread is a little empty, both in heart and content.

Short answer: Yes, 1:7 and 1:8 will be so minutely close that a 1:7 barrel is "good enough", don't give it a second thought. You won't ever notice the difference at a match.

Long answer: OMFG, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???!!!! 1:7???!!!

Let's assume your talking about .223/5.56, you didn't specify caliber, but it's a million to one odds. Heavy metal rifles in .308 have much slower twist rates than .223 ARs for the most part.

What ammo do you shoot? Cheap bulk factory by the thousand? Then 55gr it is. Other cheap bulk, 62gr steel core is a no-go for 3-gun targets. The only stuff you'll find in heavier weights (75,77) for cheap is ruskie steel case, which will give you more extraction fits, and is generally poo-pooed by us patriotic Americans.

For 55gr, the slower twist rates will be better suited, but only slightly. At the typical distances stages will be set up, you won't even be able to overstabilize varmint grain weight bullets so bad that it matters at all.

Next, how are accurate do you consider yourself? Remember, 3-gun rifle targets are generally engaged in one of 3 positions; offhand, improvised prone, and improvised barrier support. These are not inherently accurate positions and you don't have a lot of time to futz with them, so your technique will affect your accuracy 1000x more than the difference between 1:7 and 1:8.

Faster twist rates are for heavier bullets. 69gr or 77gr are the most popular choices for heavy .223 bullets.

1 in 8" is what I launch 69's out of, and they do fine.

Wow, really?

Well, this thread is a little empty, both in heart and content.

Short answer: Yes, 1:7 and 1:8 will be so minutely close that a 1:7 barrel is "good enough", don't give it a second thought. You won't ever notice the difference at a match.

Long answer: OMFG, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???!!!! 1:7???!!!

Let's assume your talking about .223/5.56, you didn't specify caliber, but it's a million to one odds. Heavy metal rifles in .308 have much slower twist rates than .223 ARs for the most part.

What ammo do you shoot? Cheap bulk factory by the thousand? Then 55gr it is. Other cheap bulk, 62gr steel core is a no-go for 3-gun targets. The only stuff you'll find in heavier weights (75,77) for cheap is ruskie steel case, which will give you more extraction fits, and is generally poo-pooed by us patriotic Americans.

For 55gr, the slower twist rates will be better suited, but only slightly. At the typical distances stages will be set up, you won't even be able to overstabilize varmint grain weight bullets so bad that it matters at all.

Next, how are accurate do you consider yourself? Remember, 3-gun rifle targets are generally engaged in one of 3 positions; offhand, improvised prone, and improvised barrier support. These are not inherently accurate positions and you don't have a lot of time to futz with them, so your technique will affect your accuracy 1000x more than the difference between 1:7 and 1:8.

Again I have been shooting bullets as light as 50 grains in my 1/7 Noveske and they shoot fine and in fact the 52 grain match loads equal my heavyies (77 grainers) at 100 for accuracy. The only real potential problem for so called over stabilazation would be with 40 grain lightly built varmit bullets but we don't generally use those in this sport.

Pat

Is it highly recommended to have 1/8 twist barrel compated to 1/7 twist? Is 1/7 twist good enough? Thanks.

I have the stock 16" bbl that came on my Colt LE6920. It's a 1:7 and it shoots 55gr sub moa all day long.

Again I have been shooting bullets as light as 50 grains in my 1/7 Noveske and they shoot fine and in fact the 52 grain match loads equal my heavyies (77 grainers) at 100 for accuracy. The only real potential problem for so called over stabilazation would be with 40 grain lightly built varmit bullets but we don't generally use those in this sport.

Pat

I shoot 40gr varmint bullets at high velocity in 2 different 1 in 7 barrels from WOA... I get under 1/2 minute out to 300 yards in benchrest competition. I asked someone at WOA about why this was the most accurate bullet out of my 1 in 7's when everything I read said light bullets would blow up if shot from 1 in 7 barrels... His answer was "believe what you see, not what you read".

These are what I am building for 3-gun matches right now. Extremely accurate...expect groups of 3.25" at 400 yards.

Bottom line: I am using Nordic Wilson 18" 1:8 barrels, rifle gas systems, and Nordic's Corvette compensators. Shooting 69 SMK's over Varget.

Edited by BigBore56

These are what I am building for 3-gun matches right now. Extremely accurate...expect groups of 3.25" at 400 yards.

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/346246/

And what does this have to do with twist rates and bullet grs?

Looks like it has nothing to do with either to me. IMHO it looks like attempts at free advertising. Hopefully BigBore56 will just pony up and pay for a slot in the vendors section.

In my limited experience, I'm shooting 55grain out of a (piston) 16" 1:7 barrel and it seems to group well at 100 yards. I also tested a group with 75gr Hornady steel match, and it did not group as well. I always thought the higher twist rates would favor heavier bullets, but it may simply be - whatever your gun likes. ( or it may have just been shooter inconsistency!)