Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What time do you record?

Flexmoney

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would write 23.60. I am a pilot and have to hear, interpret, and repeat decimal digits for radio freqs a lot. There is a standard way of saying decimal digits in aviation, but it's not always followed.

As for this example, I would probably clarify 23.6 vs 20.36, but I would write 23.6 initially. I also tell my RO that I want to hear "Point" in there somewhere.

Good discussion!

I guess I would wrong with 23.6. I would think two zero three six for 20.36 .I alway repet it back the way I'm going to write/ put it on the score sheet/ palm.

Edited by a matt

If I am the Range Officer on the timer and you are on the RO on the clip board... I call out the time of:

Twenty

Three

Six

What do you write down?

It depends on it you pause between the twenty and the three.

This is the very reason why the person running the clipboard should repeat back everything the RO is calling out during scoring and both ROs should call out times as two zero point three six.

Exactly right.

Well, assuming the time was, in fact, 20.36. ;)

This is the very reason why the person running the clipboard should repeat back everything the RO is calling out during scoring and both ROs should call out times as two zero point three six.

Would that really make a difference in this case? The timer RO would hear back exactly what he/she just said, right? So, he/she would be happy that is was recorded right.

?

Nothing until you agree or correct my understanding. I would repeat back two zero point three six? You can either say correct or No, twenty three point six zero, or show me the timer so I can read it myself. I try to avoid scoring as I go, I watch the shooter so I am right there at the end to see the timer myself.

I write down, 20.36, but I call out to you Two Zero Three Six. Hopefull you are listening to my response and either confirm or correct me.

2036. ?

I am also used to hearing and saying the word "dot" in there to separate whole seconds from the partial second.

So in my case, I would either repeat back the time with the word "dot" seeking a verbal agreement and/or actually look at the timer for my confirmation.

If I am the Range Officer on the timer and you are on the RO on the clip board... I call out the time of:

Twenty

Three

Six

What do you write down?

Depends on if I hear a pause between the Twenty and the Three. Of couse it needs to be confirmed back to the RO on the timer with individual digits called out.

Twenty

Three

Six

What do you write down?

Nothing yet. I visually confirm what the timer RO stated by looking at the timer. Then as I right the numbers down, I say them. If a procedure other than that occurs, I'll talk to the timer RO and make sure we are both visually and audibly verifying the time. By rule, two decimal places must be recorded.