Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA 1911 ... any good?

Guys,

I have a friend that is looking at a Rock Island Armory 1911 ,,, which is a box stock, military configuration 1911.

Anyone care to comment on the quality? As good as the original AutoOrdnance 1911s? Internal parts decent? (The original AutoOrdnance guns needed to have the internals completely replaced just to be safe IMHO.)

Normally I would tell the fella to look at something else ... but it is a good buy and he is not well to do!

Thank you very much!

Mike

I've had one since late February and have over 400 rounds fired and I love mine. About the only things to note is to replace the slick grips that come with it and to not go cheap on your mags. Other than that, i haven't had a single failure feeding FMJ or JHP factory ammo of various makes.

Someone on the threads above made a remark about the sights not being replaceable, however the front sight is a narrow post style and rear is dovetail and both are replaceable. I think that might be my next project for it, but its a great gun nonetheless.

Got it from budsgunshop.com when it was on sale for under $400.

The RIA guns are not bad--better for sure than the original Auto-Ordnance 1911s. I'm not sure I would have any use for a mil-spec version, though, mainly because I need a beavertail to keep my hand from getting chopped up. If he can save up a little more money, I'd suggest that he get the "Tactical" version with the beavertail, better sights, etc. Or better yet, the American Classic 1911 with beavertail, etc., another Filipino import which will have a nicer fit and finish than the Armscor/RIA stuff.

Keep in mind that all of the above will probably need a good throating job to function well with all bullet profiles.

I have a tactical with about 30,000 rounds through it. Last summer, I had to replace the barrel as the groups were opening up. Last October, one of the pins on the extractor broke and I had to replace it. My gunsmith said that the steel was once of the hardest he'd ever worked on. He was incredulous when I told him it was a MIM casting.

I won 1st place C division at the AL, MS, and LA sectionals last year with the gun. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Actually, the newer RIA guns are shipping with the barrels already throated for hollow point ammo. Mine was made last November and I was surprised I didn't need to throat it. The newer models also have 2 turrets on the logo instead of the older single turret logo.

A newer shooter at my club is running one in SS without any problems. When he's on my squad he never seems to have a malfunction. Has your friend consider the STI Spartan. More $, but more 1911.

My buddy has one, commander size. Shoots real nice tight groups out to 16-17 yards. He did have some trouble fitting a beavertail safety. Would probably look at the Tactical as Carmoney recommended. But for the money I think there pretty good. He paid $300.00 for a slightly used one with 2 mags.

Buddy of mine got the baseline model and couldn't choke it at all. Been running smooth, no problems at all. Probably has just under 1k rounds so no real long term info. But it definitely has my eye on the Tactical version. Buds seems to have the best deal on them...just under 5 bills.

• 1 month later...

I have bought a few of these in the past year as project guns. The first a 9mm government model that I learned to cut my teeth on as far as checkering and trigger work. This same gun we bought a barrel from RI in .38 Super and it was a totally drop in operation. This gun has found a new home with a shooter using it in single stack.

I think for the money they are best bang for the buck in basic 1911s today. Of course this and a buck and a half will buy you a cup of coffee.

Yes, I understand that. However, the Spartan is backed by STI's quality control, warranty, service, and customer service. In many peoples opinion, the Spartan is a far better gun.

Edited by polizei1

The Spartan's sights and trigger components alone are worth the difference in price.

Nothing wrong with the RIA Tactical, but the Spartan is a better value if you ask me.

I seriously considered both and I have a Spartan now.

Armscor customer service and warranty is superb although rarely needed.

If you want to spend more money, buy a Spartan. It likely won't be more accurate nor have a better trigger than the RIA.

I have several RIAs as well as other "big" name 1911s. I shoot the snot out of my RIAs. They run and run.

Folks will say buy the STI because it's an STI. Opinions are great but they are just opinions

Dave

The Spartan's sights and trigger components alone are worth the difference in price.

Nothing wrong with the RIA Tactical, but the Spartan is a better value if you ask me.

I seriously considered both and I have a Spartan now.

the spartan get sight is a proprietary cut and rear is lpa cut as instead of bomar

I have a mil spec RIA 45 ACP. Had some initial problem feeding when it was brand new. It only took a $20 gun smith job to clear it. Eventually I replaced most of the parts except slide, barrel and frame to run it in single stack & L10. Nothing wrong with the original parts except a cracked barrel bushing which Armscor replaced in record time. Their customer service is top notch. The parts I replaced mostly comes standard on the Spartan except the sights. The front sight is pinned on the mil spec and not dovetailed, so you have very limited choices. I would have spent the same money on the Spartan instead. Overall RIA is as good in quality as the Spartan.

The stock GI configuration is bare-bones but a good beginning 1911. Your friend can take advantage of the good price now and as time and finances permit, upgrade the shooter. I've had Colts, Taurus and Paras and shot STI's and Kimbers and Springfields. I currently carry a Rock Island Armory Tactical. It's as good as any other 1911 I've ever fired. With 1000 rounds through it, I have yet to have a single malfunction and it only cost me $400 at a gunshow. Some snobs don't like the Phillipine 1911's, but they've been making the 1911 since General MacArthur was there in the 30's so people need to read history. They are true 1911's and are of the series 70 design so there are lees concerns to my mind. AsHope it helps...

From RIA CEO on their facebook page

Armscor / Rock Island Armory

Wednesday via mobile.Hi everyone. For those who don't know me and my company I would like to she'd some light on the made in America issue. I have typed this response several times this week alone. My name is Martin Tuason. I am the CEO of the Armscor group of companies. My company was founded by my grandfather 70 years ago in the Philippines. I am a Filipino born and raised in the PI the first 17 years of my life. F...or the first 60 years my company did most of its business in the Philippines. We have store, ranges, gun clubs, scrap metal, metal foundry, forging plant, firearms and ammunition in the Philippines. 12 years ago I started the Rock Island project. Today I am the largest producer of 1911s in the world. 5 years ago I developed a plan with my father to open manufacturing to the US. I started Armscor Cartridge Inc in Stevensville MT. We became operational May 31st 2011 producing 150k rds per day. You can see more info on my Armscor USA ammo on my website. I plan on operating Nevada Gun Works in Pahrump NV by 2014. I have posted the first pick of the leveling of my land around the office in Pahrump. I sell in 60 countries today and none are more important that the USA. I believe in the American worker if I didn't I wouldn't be investing in America. In the Beginning we have gone from 3 employees to over25 with both locations.I love America my wife and my children are American. I have made America my home.

My goal is for everyone to enjoy my products that's why I make them affordable and reliable. I also believe in backing up what I make and to do it better all the time. I will let anyone who has one of my guns speak for me. If you have a problem I will make it right.

I agree with you made is important and that's why I am doing what I am doing. I only wish I can make my plans become reality sooner. Martin CEO

Many companys must hate this guy he is building guns just as good if not better then theirs for less then half the cost. Maybe the name brand stuff will start to come down a bit now.

RIA's are great guns, IMO the only real negative is their odd-ball sight dovetail cuts.

Due to the couple I've owned, and most of the one's I've handled, they honestly have me wrestling with passing on a very good deal on a like-new STI... As for the same money using one as a base gun (doing most of the work myself), I can can have an RIA with top-shelf EGW fire-control, Aftec, SVI trigger, G10 grips, and magwell.