Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal prices?

BullyDog

just catching up with inflation I guess.

What inflation? :surprise:

Inflation is when your money is worth less. Now it's just worthless. :angry: Now even cheap ammunition ain't cheap. :( Very glad I reload. :)

Copper, zinc,lead are all commodities.The prices on metals go up and down based on supply and demand.Inflation has little effect on their pricing.

Then why do bullet prices not come back down ? Bullet proces sky rocketed when metals went up, problem was when the metal came back down bullet prices stayed up.

Commodity prices effect bullet makers profit. But not the retail prices. Retail prices are straight up supply and demand. Primers, powder and bullet companies found out what the market would bare. Simple as that.

They are free to charge what they want for their products. I am free to buy or not buy. I dont fault them in the least for earning a profit and pricing their wares as they see fit. But please dont blow smoke up my rear end and try to play the blame game for prices.

Metal prices are lower today than they were 5 years ago so if that had anything to do with it then the costs would be dropping but thats not happening. Prices should be down due to a reduced demand from the military. Yet you hear of price increases. Why?

Prices are up mostly due to increased fuel prices which raise shipping costs. Other reasons include more people shooting and the pending election. Personally I'm seeing more and more new people at our local range. In fact our membership rate is growing about 200 new dues paying members every month. If this rate continues through the rest of the year our dues paying membership will be around 4200 members. That's not counting the daily passes by non members. If other areas are seeing anywhere the near the growth we are experiencing then you just my have the real driver behind rising prices. Demand exceeding supply.

Copper, zinc,lead are all commodities.The prices on metals go up and down based on supply and demand.Inflation has little effect on their pricing.

Then why do bullet prices not come back down ? Bullet proces sky rocketed when metals went up, problem was when the metal came back down bullet prices stayed up.

Commodity prices effect bullet makers profit. But not the retail prices. Retail prices are straight up supply and demand. Primers, powder and bullet companies found out what the market would bare. Simple as that.

They are free to charge what they want for their products. I am free to buy or not buy. I dont fault them in the least for earning a profit and pricing their wares as they see fit. But please dont blow smoke up my rear end and try to play the blame game for prices.

Well, when the price goes up and people continue to buy the commodity - it just sets a new floor price for the stuff. It's clearly what people are willing to pay.

When the cost of components goes back down - why should we expect the manufacturers to drop the price of the product when they already know how much we're willing to pay for the product?

:sight:

Well, when the price goes up and people continue to buy the commodity - it just sets a new floor price for the stuff. It's clearly what people are willing to pay.

When the cost of components goes back down - why should we expect the manufacturers to drop the price of the product when they already know how much we're willing to pay for the product?

:sight:

When there is a greater difference between retail price and the cost of production, it also provides room for competition. Brand loyalty is one thing, but price the competiton $10-15 less a case.....

If you want ammo prices to go down all you have to do is stop shooting! :devil: It sure seems that we are in the middle of the classic demand exceeding supply curve.

Frankly I see much more good than bad from the current situation:

There seems to be a large influx of new shooters in the sport - as they get involved, business that cater to our sport grow from the increased revenues. Take a look at build times on custom guns - most good builders are swamped even in a down economy! This is a good thing for all of us (although it is painful in the short term).

More shooters also can translate into more support in general for the second amendment. The more people that become gun owners the better our chances to support pro-firearm legislation.

The bad is of course higher prices in the short term - but that too can have a positive spin. As the saying goes profits draw investors like bees to honey! Eventually there will likely be more producers producing higher quality goods at lower prices. I think we are already seeing this in the production pistol market - look at all the new offerings of concealed carry style guns!

Stay shooting my friends...

Three cheers for ctay!

Economics 101. Notice what happens to gasoline prices when there's a shortage? Price goes up. Think oil embargo in the '70's.

I've been getting emails from Brownells, Natchez and others since right after SHOT that have been saying that ammunition orders have skyrocketed and backlogs are in place where there were none. Now they are saying that backorder times are getting longer. Sturm Ruger has booked so many orders in just the 1st quarter of this year that they have stopped taking orders! It's pretty clear that demand is outpacing the supply.

Went to a local place to buy some Federal Primers. He had 3K of small match pistol. That was all. He said the Federal Government placed a big order so Federal primers are not going to be readily available.

Bummer.