Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 USPSA Pistol Nationals

Stages look pretty good. Working on the liquid courage tonight to burn down the match tomorrow.

Got to the range to late to register (guess they can't hang out 25 minutes for late flights to get in), looking forward to gettin' to the shootin'

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my predictions for the winners...

Limited is the real hard one to call; I see it as an intense five-way race between Leatham, Jarrett, Strader, Butler and Tomasie. A betting man might rank them in that order, but I agree with ShooterGrrrl that this is Phil's year to win. He's been shooting real well all season, with a couple convincing wins at Area matches (including the most recent) as well as several other majors, and two or three other Areas he probably would have taken except for weird circumstances (e.g. the bogus D.Q. at Area 4). He deserves this one. Go Phil! --And nobody should count Manny Bragg out, either; he could come out of the shadows as usual and surprise everybody, especially if the match favors speed work. (I haven't looked too closely at the stages since, alas, I can't afford the trip to Barry this year.) Expect Blake M., if he's out of contention after the first couple days, to play the spoiler, go for broke, and pull out a few amazing stage wins that could affect the overall results.

In Open-- Max has certainly been looking strong, but I think that's partly because the field hasn't been as competitive as in Limited. I think Eric will be hard to beat. If anyone does it, it will probably be Max or JJ, who can do some amazing stuff when he pushes himself. I'd be surprised if anyone manages a 95% of Eric, but let's hope I'm wrong and the Americans can pull if off.

In Production, Sevigny's going to win barring some cataclysm; the real race is for second, and it should be a great contest. I might put my money on Angus Hobdell, who's been strong all year, but Olhasso, Mink, Milionis, Sindelar all have a good shot at it. Wish I could be there to watch that one!

The format this year spreads the Ladies' contest rather thin. I'd say Julie in Production, Lisa in Limited, and a tough race in Open between Kay, Athena, Linda Blowers and Megan Madigan.

That's my two cents. Good luck in Barry, everyone!

Elye A.

I bet it will look like last year.

TGO in LImited, Eric in Open, Dave in Production, I'd see Angus second.

As for the other divisions and ladies, I'm not too aware about the contenders.

Hey Angus, try not to be in the same shape as before the europeans' shoot off ;)

Good luck to all

Ok, I'm going to amend my predictions somewhat, after screwing up the Dark House (stage 1) I am predicting that I will not win the US Nationals (OPEN) title this year... I'm sure that will come as a shock to you all... :D

You know what sucks (apart from my shooting) are Epson printers that stop working if you don't use them for a month... I had a great BE name tag designed for Nationals and my printer is dead... :(

Production has been a very strong field this year.

Sevigny has experience, and as much talent as anyone.

If Jake DiVita shoots right. he could very well have a few stage wins.

I thought julie was shooting open.. or was at the A5 IIRC.

I put phil strader as high LEO again lol.

I'm not to sure about jarrett and letham they haven't been "out there" this year like Travis, Max and Phil have been. this could be the year for a major upset...

The format this year spreads the Ladies' contest rather thin. I'd say Julie in Production, Lisa in Limited, and a tough race in Open between Kay, Athena, Linda Blowers and Megan Madigan.

Elye A.

Lisa is shooting Open.

Elye A.

Lisa is shooting Open.

My mistake for not double-checking... :huh: I guess that makes the Open contest even harder to call. As for Ladies' Limited, I'll just admit I'm clueless there and wait and see.

Well, day one down. Getting ready to head to the range for day two. I don't know if they are going to do interm postings or not. The vastness of the range makes it tough to watch many of the super squads, plus I'm on the same schedule as the limited super squad so I probably won't get to see them at all. I'll try to get some results to put up here tonight if they don't post them.

Stages are pretty good and the weather is great.

Well, Heatseeker and I are heading to the range for our 2nd day of shooting. We have about 10 guys on our squad and there's probably less than 20 points separating all of us, plus the other squad of major players behind us. Nothing really matters until the last day with this group. Thanks for all of the kind words, I hope to live up to some of your expectations...and mine. My real thanks go to Rob for deciding to shoot Limited. He's a true competitor and friend.

Phil

Matt is definately shooting a CZ. He and Angus were up at the sight-in range (which doesn't officially exist, despite being marked on the map) fitting some new sights Monday morning. Funny thing is they both brought Dremel tools with them.

The BE squad (#30) is indeed a taping and steel-setting machine. We've all had some ups and downs, but are still mostly happy and upbeat (unlike Bend 2002, when we all got hosed badly). We had our first "how many proceedurals should you award" debate this morning on stage 20. Look for it here later.

We'll see if it rains tomorrow afternoon like they're predicting. It's kind of a bummer being on the same squad schedule as all the Super squads except the Mens Ltd squad (btw, Matt B is shooting Open on purpose, he didn't get moved there), so we don't get to see a lot.

I've been taking video of the BE usual suspects-- Flex, Steve, Jon, Nik, etc, so we'll have a BE-nats DVD at some point.

So far we've shot 13-21. Tomorrow down to the valley and ending on the dark house.

More as my flaky connection allows..

Quick set of highlights and lowlights:

- Liota breaking her foot inspecting the range Sunday-- she's in a cast now and not shooting AFAIK.

- Steve A popping a quick makeup A one-handed on our first stage, the hose-fest that was Stage 13 (those first few targets were close. Touchably close)

- Penny losing a good run to the reshoot gods due to our squad being just a bit too gung-ho with the tape.

- Shooting standards right into the rising sun this morning. Hey, it beats 50 yards from concealment in the rain :). Like Erik suspected, they changed the 2-reload-1 15-yard string into a 1-reload-1 string.

- Ong's 2-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust prone shooting on stage 20.

- The Ban Ended! Mags are selling fast. Bob Londrigan said he'd been doing nothing but assembling mags since 8:30 that morning. Dawson was blowing out magazines this afternoon as fast as he could make them. I took some pictures for posterity..

- Somebody (Nik?) saying "Flex looks nothing like his online persona".

Quick set of highlights and lowlights as I remember them:

- Liota breaking her foot inspecting the range Sunday-- she's in a cast now and not shooting AFAIK. Wakal says he's using it as an excuse to make fun of her, but we know better.

- Steve A popping a very quick makeup A one-handed on our first stage, the hose-fest that was Stage 13 (those first few targets were close. Touchably close)

- Penny losing a good run to the reshoot gods due to our squad being just a bit too gung-ho with the tape.

- Shooting standards right into the rising sun this morning. Hey, it beats 50 yards from concealment in the rain :). Like Erik suspected, they changed the 2-reload-1 15-yard string into a 1-reload-1 string.

- Ong's 2-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust prone shooting on stage 20.

- The Ban Ended! Mags are selling fast. Bob Londrigan said he'd been doing nothing but assembling mags since 8:30 that morning. Dawson was blowing out magazines this afternoon as fast as he could make them. I took some pictures for posterity..

- Somebody (Nik?) saying "Flex looks nothing like his online persona".

- Going to the 'Babes with Bullets' dinner Sunday night. We'll get our food someday..

- Seeing BE-tags around and about the range.

- So far the weather has been great. (Tommorrow they're forecasting thunderstorms)