Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will the Shake-Up at the Top Amount to Anything?

beltjones

Grauffel is going to Production.

KC Eusebio announced he is part of Team Glock (and said he may have shot his last match with a 2011).

JJ is going with a Caracal for Production division.

This doesn't seem like the normal course of action where a manufacturer simply pastes it's name on a 2011 built by someone else. Will these guys make their presence felt immediately, or will it take some time to make the transition?

What does it mean for the sport? More major gun sponsors? Production becoming the dominant division (over time)? Other thoughts?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Production becoming the predominant division at the highest levels of competition. It may become predominant by shear numbers with all the new shooters coming into the sport.

Its always been where the money makes sense. I suspect you might see more things along the XDm 5.25 - models being built specifically to be able to run in Production class - used to happen all the time in car racing.

I don't see Production becoming the predominant division at the highest levels of competition. It may become predominant by shear numbers with all the new shooters coming into the sport.

You don't believe it's already at the highest levels of competition, especially now that KC and JJ will be competing in it?

You don't believe it's already at the highest levels of competition, especially now that KC and JJ will be competing in it?

Not at all what I said. It does not take either of those guys to make Production a big deal. Bob Vogel does it every day.

When I think of something being predominant I think of it as what everybody shoots, especially at the higher levels. I don't know what would make a world class shooter want to give up an STI or SV to go shoot a caracal or a Glock. Well actually I probably do. $$$$$$

I think there are guys shooting at the top who are getting bored and want the challenge of shooting Production I guess.

When Limited and Open shooters become as rare as revolver shooters then you can call Production the predominant division of USPSA.

USPSA is a race sport. Open and Limited are the oldest divisions. It will be hard for those divisions to take back seat to something else. They are the go fast divisions that look cool on video so those will still draw all the attention. I think these guys just got an offer to do it and took it. I think its that plain and simple.

Not at all what I said. It does not take either of those guys to make Production a big deal. Bob Vogel does it every day.

When I think of something being predominant I think of it as what everybody shoots, especially at the higher levels. I don't know what would make a world class shooter want to give up an STI or SV to go shoot a caracal or a Glock. Well actually I probably do. $$$$$$

I think there are guys shooting at the top who are getting bored and want the challenge of shooting Production I guess.

When Limited and Open shooters become as rare as revolver shooters then you can call Production the predominant division of USPSA.

I think that's too extreme. Why would Limited and Open need to be as rare as revolver for Production to be considered the dominant division? All that would need to happen is for Production to have more shooters sign up for major matches, and/or have a higher average class of shooter for a relatively equal number of competitors.

I think we will see more and more top shooters in Production for two reasons, and they're both economic. First, new shooters will start in Production because it's arguably the cheapest to get into, and they will stay there. Some of those people will be top shooters who never stray into other divisions. Second, top shooters from the "race" divisions will jump to Production because that's where the sponsorship money will be. Manufacturers will catch on that it's a bad deal to stamp their name on a gun they don't produce and pay a guy to wear their jersey.

I don't know what would make a world class shooter want to give up an STI or SV to go shoot a caracal or a Glock.

A desire to shoot production? :sight::D

After driving a F1 car, why would you drive a Yugo? :sight:

Handgun manufactures want production representation. Average Joe does not care about open guns, but a gun he can walk in to a store and buy. I look forward to JJ, Max and KC getting into IDPA. That will cause a shake up.

That's a pretty EXTREME analogy. <_<

I like to look at it like Drag Racing.........

Top Fuel Dragster = OPEN

Funny Car = LIMITED

Stock Car = PRODUCTION

I've never seen a Yugo in a Drag Race. :rolleyes:

I thinks these guys are going to Production for the same reason Willie Sutton robbed banks,

"because thats where the money is."

I think it would be great to load Production down with top Open and Limited shooters. Hopefully it will cause a giant pissing match between the gun manufacturers and they will put money into R&D to develop better products. Not saying what is out right now isn't good. But where would auto racing be if the big three had just settled for what worked for a couple of guys and told everone else to adapt.

Handgun manufactures want production representation. Average Joe does not care about open guns, but a gun he can walk in to a store and buy. I look forward to JJ, Max and KC getting into IDPA. That will cause a shake up.

Kimi went to drove a Citroen hatchback

Montoya went to drive a family car

Barrichello went to drive a really ugly abomination. LOL

I agree it is about money but they still need to have a desire to compete in other divisions. I think it would be awesome to have those guys in IDPA.

i believe that certain USPSA shooters should have been sales people or work for marketing companies they would make a shit ton of money

*spelling

Edited by mhop

Top Fuel Dragster = OPEN

Funny Car = LIMITED

Stock Car = PRODUCTION

Well....actually....

Top Fuel Dragster = OPEN

Funny Car = LIMITED

Stock Car = PRODUCTION

Well....actually....

The Yugo doesn't appear to have any external mods so it is Production legal.

Its always been where the money makes sense. I suspect you might see more things along the XDm 5.25 - models being built specifically to be able to run in Production class - used to happen all the time in car racing.

still does but moreso in the motorcycling community. most production sportbikes will get a minor update every 2yr and major every 4.

win on sunday, sell on monday.

Well I think that for what ever the reason the so be it. It's a nice mix up and change and hopefully they will not be shooting.2011 guns with a diff company stamped on it. Ive thought all along it's bs to have a Sig Sauer name stamped on a non sig Sauer gun and and now the same with Taurus may be the same. Shoot a gun that that company builds that is available to public. Just my .02 cents.

Because they have dominated the field they are in and want a different challenge? F1, then Rally Cars? or Baja style races?

Whey do so many of us shoot a lot of different divisions? Maybe because we enjoy shooting different divisions? True that a sponsored shooter will likely have to shoot the division and the match that his sponsor tells him to, but if he gets really tired of it and that manufacturer branches out or has already branched out, he will likely get to shoot other divisions again. Or he may get a different sponsor and shoot for them in different divisions?

I agree. They are more than likely moving for money and/or challenge.