Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which open gun for just fun

wiiawiwb

I've been looking to get a 9mm with a compensator and red dot for the sheer fun of it at the range. I'm new to shooting so the notion of a big heavy blaster has me intimidated. I do not reload so factory ammo for now. Maybe I'll love it and start to reload and even go to matches. Conversely, maybe I'll hate the gun so I'd want to be able to sell it and return to my 22s which I do enjoy.

Looking for something that is already built, on the low end of cost, has less recoil and could be sold if I don't like it. The STI MM, SM and Trubor have my attention and I've have been reading about them on this forum.

Any thoughts about these three for just a fun gun? If all three could fit the bill, which would be the most fun given my situation?

Thanks in advance.

If you are using factory ammo in a gun that is set up to run major power factor (much hotter, reloaded 9mm) the factory ammo will not have enough gas to make the comp work properly. Cheapest would be a glock 34 or an M&P pro. You could put a magwell on and add a red dot and be ready to have fun. If you really liked open and wanted a real open gun (you would have to reload, its fun, saves money) You could buy one at that time.

I agree STI SteelMaster. Plus if you decide to go Major later there are many gunsmiths who can help you make the few changes needed to convert it to Major. The SteelMaster is great and if it's just for fun scoring minor is no big deal. Another option is buying ammo from DC ammo then you can buy major ammo and a major gun. If you call Doug and discuss ammo purchasing I think you will find it is competitive prices with ammo from your local shops.

I considered a 5" Trojan but, in the end, knew I would want a compensator and red dot. I figured that I would end up with a hodge-podge if I went that route. It would probably cost as much, if not more, and it would not be a real "unit" like the MM, SM or Trubor.

I put DC Ammo in my favorite places as a source for ammo.

Is the MatchMaster major only?

Oh yeah I forgot about the Czechmate. I think I would go for that personally just because it is different. Plus, looks wise it is amazing.

MatchMaster and Trubor will run minor or major. You have to mess with things a bit sometimes if it doesn't work, but it's not overly complicated. You can do it yourself or take it to a smith for a simple tune.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FWIW, my 38 super matchmaster ran okay with magtech factory ammo. It left some nasty crap on the c-more glass and didn't have enough gas to runt he comp effectively though.

Will it shoot flat (as flat as with major ammo)? I'm just tring to figure out how comps work.

the slower the powder, the more powder you need in a case, which means more gas when burned, and that gas directs upward when it hits the baffles of the comp. the force of the gas going up, keeps the muzzle down. now, most factory ammo doesnt use that slow of powder, or not enough powder. most open shooters will load ammo with a slower burning powder, which needs a larger volume of powder to make major. the more volume of powder, the more gas produced during the shot, which should equal less muzzle rise.

FWIW, my 38 super matchmaster ran okay with magtech factory ammo. It left some nasty crap on the c-more glass and didn't have enough gas to runt he comp effectively though.

Will it shoot flat (as flat as with major ammo)? I'm just tring to figure out how comps work.

Flatter than a limited gun, but not as flat as a major PF load with a better powder.

• 1 month later...