Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety in Single Stack

ktm300

I was at area 6 over the weekend and there was some talk of a new rule on the way in single stack to require the grip safety to work. Anybody else hear anything about that?

For me that is a deal killer as if I have a good grip on the gun, and my thumb on top of the thumb safety my hand just doesn't want to hit the grip safety very well at all.

All of my grip safeties are permanently disabled. If they were to pass such a rule it would be the end of my days shooting SS.

Since a member of the board hasn't heard of such a rule, let's hope it is just a nasty rumor.

I hope not, mine are all pinned. I don't shoot bit IDPA matches for that reason, none of my single stacks meet specifications. I probably would if they decided the XD was SSP instead of ESP.

How many shooters have their grip safety pinned or disabled because they have found they really have a problem with their grip not properly depressing the grip safety? Or do a lot of shooters do this only as insurance that it won't happen but they've never really had a problem with it during competition. I was just curious if a lot of shooters don't have grip safeties that work just because it's allowed or if they've actually had problems is this area. I've got a Springfield and a Wilson and never have had a problem with the grip safety. Mark

I don't have any of my grip safeties pinned. Mine are just tuned to work with light pressure and I have big hands so that helps as well.

You know what they say about guys with big hands, don't you? --- sorry, couldn't resist the Bill Engvall moment.

My limited guns were pinned when I bought them, but my single stacks are both fully functioning. I have smaller hands, and it's never been an issue. I know one individual that it's so bad for him that he almost can't fire a gun with a grip safety... it was marginally funny when I gave him mine to test fire. But he also has very large hands.

I think to comes down to grip mechanics - everyone is different.

And no, I've not heard of this - nor do I think it's a good idea...

Almost makes sense... If for Production ALL the safeties on the gun must be functional, why not Single Stack? Both divisions have tighter restrictions on what can and cannot be done to the gun. Additionally, if the concept for the division was for gun that "have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning", wasn't the grip safety part of the original design?

After saying that, I don't currently own a 1911 (yes, the sacrilege!) but primarily because the grip safety has always been my nemesis. My most natural grip on the gun ends up pushing up on the beavertail (which effectively works counter to way the grip safety works). Yeah, I must be holding it wrong. When I end up owning one, the grip safety will be pinned, or I'll have to have a custom segmented grip safety/beaver tail.

<<wasn't the grip safety part of the original design?>>

Stolen from a web page put up by Jeff Cooper about the 1911. http://jeffcoopersfivefactsof1911life.blogspot.com/2009/02/john-brownings-revolutionary.html

There is one precaution. A high-thumb grip on a 1911 tends to lessen the pressure the web of your hand exerts on the grip safety. If the grip safety is not compressed far enough to disengage it, the gun won’t fire. This is obviously a potential calamity, and it is the reason John Browning did not specify a grip safety for the 1911. The government made him do it. The 1911’s grip safety was insisted upon by the US Army because some paranoid bureaucrat thought it might be a good idea. As a general rule, unnecessary and imperfect safety devices have an uncanny way not only of annoying people half to death but of actually killing more people than they protect, which is undoubtedly why the gunban-creatures lobby for their adoption. Some professional 1911 operators have been known to pin the grip safety to the frame in the down position, and some competitors tape it down for the duration of a match. Some manufacturers, notably Kimber, place a huge bulge on their grip safety so there is no way you can grip the gun in any kind of firing position without pressing the safety all the way down. You might remember that the pistol John Browning designed in 1935 without benefit of the US Army looking over his shoulder -– the estimable Browning High Power –- functions almost exactly like the 1911 in every way except one. There is no grip safety.

The base of my hand isn't very meaty so I have a hard time deactivating the grip safety with a good high grip. All of mine are some how deactivated (pin, arm cut off, or strip of inner tube).

Luckily, I have no grip safety issues with a single stack (knock on wood) but with a wide body I miss it about 10% of the time so my limited gun is disabled. There isn't much to it, pinning is the way to go, but a cheap easy way is to take a dremel to it. They change the rule, put a new one in and figure out how change your grip or "tune" it to disengage it or start shooting a different gun.

I HATE the grip safety. There. I said it.

On a traditional 1911, I CANNOT make it work. On the 2011, I pin them. I sure hope that they don't implement a grip safety rule.......

Safety Smafty. Every once in a while I Have an issue with the grip safety not disengaging during a course of fire. Every time it happens it is my grip out of the holster and every time I have disabled it with tape wrapped around the grip for the rest of the match. But then I take the tape off because it makes me look and feel silly having it on there and I tell myself to make sure you have a good grip on the gun stupid, and I just keep on truckin'. Works for me ... until the next time! :rolleyes:

This is wandering away from the primary topic of a grip safety rule, but it seems like a good enough time to ask:

If a grip safety for a 1911 is designed so that instead of pivoting around that pin, the entire grip safety slides forward (much like the way the trigger slides backwards), would the gun still be considered legal for Single Stack?

I though that rule already existed... It makes sense to me. I have the safety on my SS gun with no problems so far.

right now only the primary safty must work.

I heard the rumor too and gotta say it would be a pretty stupid ruling because:

1. It's not like we're having safety issues because 1911's pinned/deactivated grip safeties.

2. If it was because of safety considerations the rule would have to span to any division that allows use of 1911/2011 pistols.

3. Whoever wants to compete with an active grip safety can do so, the current rules do not outlaw them.

I hope this one stays a rumor...