Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

jp short range tactical sight or deuck defense or other

Mike21STI

I am in the process of getting a JP rifle and am not sure which offset iron sight to get. I will be using it for 3gun. I have tried the JP short range tactical sight and liked it but I wasn't sure if there are better options out there. If so, please share...

I am using a JP and like it so far, but haven't had that much trigger time with it. If I would have known they were out, I would have gotten the full length.

Has anyone been to a match that does not allow the use of offset irons in tac optics?

I am using a JP and like it so far, but haven't had that much trigger time with it. If I would have known they were out, I would have gotten the full length.

Has anyone been to a match that does not allow the use of offset irons in tac optics?

I have the JP and love using them 20 yards and in.

I own both, couldn't stand the JP ones. The DD-RTS imo feel more natural, but that might be just the army dog in me :cheers:

Pm me if you want to get rid of the JP sight cheap. :)

Edited by Mike21STI

I've had the JP sights for about a month and just shot my first match with them. I like them for about 20 yards or closer, preferably closer. They really mimic pistol sights, and I have them mounted on the rifle at about the same distance from my eye that my pistol would be. Feels very natural to sight this way. I think thats the way to think about the JP sights- as close range pistol sights on your rifle rather than as a set of rifle irons. In any case, I'm liking them so far.

I've been using the Dueck's for a couple of matches now and I like them a lot. I don't think the extremely short sight radius of the JP's would be better compared to the Duecks. The Duecks seem pretty quick to aquire and I have been pretty quick and accurate so far.

With a quality 1x on the low end and with the scopelevers, switchviews, there is no need for side irons. When I was running a 2-7 and a 3-9, I think they were beneficial. Now they are all gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the DD ones, I find that I am faster with the irons when I am shooting on the move at close ranges, and like them for when I have hoser targets and long targets on the same stage. I think it's because I cut my teeth on irons in the USMC.

I ran the JP's for awhile. Didn't like the short radius and the pistol style.

I changed to a set of YHM sights and put them on the handguard. I later got the JP mounts and mounted the YHM rear sight on the JP mount. Works good.

Then I got pair of the Dueck sights off the prize table. Works pretty good. I put them on my Heavy Optic rifle.

But I prefer not having A2 drums on the rear sight. I like to adjust them once and leave them. So I also have a set of Troy A1 style sights without the drum. That's my current preferred set up --- Troy rear with JP mount and handguard height front sight on the handguard.

Yes sir… just because someone else (top 10 finisher or not) isn't using them doesn't mean they can't help you.

I do wish the Dueck rear sight was an A1. The A2 blocks out a lot more view.

I have a JP upper and bought the cheap picatinny rail inserts from Magpul. JP makes the aluminum ones but they are a lot more expensive. Attached Troy battle sights and they work great. Just add a dot of neon red/orange model airplane paint on the front sight. The entire setup cost about $210.00

I just use the scope.

I was thinking the same. Do any of the top competitors(top 10 finishers at major matches over the past 2 years) run side irons?

Keith Garcia uses the DD sights... I just put a set on my rifle to play with again, the JP sights didn't suit me well for some reason.

The JP, as pointed out is a short range sight where the Deucks are regular irons capable of any long range shot out to the eyes limit. The JP has in some of it's design, as being a back up to the winters up here in MN when LE take their rifles from the ice cold of a winter's trunk deployment to the inside of a tropical crack house running at 80 degrees with a power company subsidy to boot. That is when the eotech fogs and turns into a glowing 1" X 1" BLOB.

• 2 months later...

Reviving the thread a little... Has anyone tried the new XS big dot off set sights and compared them to the duecks or others?

A friend of mine did and they sit too low on the gun to get a fast sight picture with. He sent them back.

Pat

I greatly improved my DD sights (IMO) by swapping the thinner windage knob off one of my ARMS flip up BUIS. I feel like I can see a lot more now. Something they should look into for normal production.