Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What gun to buyfor 10 year old Girl

agentj

Hello, My 10 Year old daughter loves to shoot with me. Her accuracy is quite good with a walther P-22. She uses the gun because she does not have the strength to work a slide on a glock 9mm or my Springfield XDM 9mm. I want to buy her a gun that the slide can be worked by her. Does anyone have any ideas what kind of gun I should look for. Or is anyone in the same situation as me, what kind of gun do you use. Thanks. My daughter loves to compete however using her P-22, it does not count with USPSA. Please help!

Agent J

Dumb question, but would a lighter recoil spring make the slide easier to rack? If so, a lighter 9mm load just making Minor PF with a lighter recoil spring might be the ticket. The other option would be a slide racker, but I don't recall what division that is legal in, so that might limit your gun choices.

Just thought of another option, a revolver, no slide to rack.

I'll be interested to hear what others say. I've got 1 little girl and another on the way.

You might consider .22 for steel challenge as an entry into competitive shooting. Revolver for USPSA/IDPA should definitely be a consideration for ease of mastering the equipment. Also if you can load up a mouse fart minor load for .45, that should have less flip and perceived recoil than even minor 9mm I would think. Open class would probably be the most user friendly with slide racker, dot sights, and less muzzle flip to contend with.

A Witness Stock 2 can be run with a 6 lbs spring for 9mm: http://eaacorp.com/pdfs/guns/WitnessStock2.pdf (Don't be frightened by the $1100 price tag, it goes for lower on gunbroker and most gun stores.) and still make minor. For spring reference see: http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/pinspringscrew.html

This gun shoots very flat and absorbs a lot of the recoil because of its well balanced mass. A good 147gn bullet at about 132 PF will feel only a little more recoil than a short barreled lightweight .22. (As one small framed woman who loves to shoot her .45 Springfield complains about her significant other's 9mm Stock 2: "It's almost like a toy because I can't feel anything but holes magically appear on the target.")

Unfortunately, in the US, these guns come only in large frame (think CZ Tactical Sport). So for a 10 year old girl's hands, I think getting the thinner aluminum grips from Henning will be a must, unless you or somebody you know can make some thinner wooden grips. Having the front strap checkering removed may also help reduce the grip size. If you can somehow source a small frame version from Canada, you would be even better off.

I just started my 13 year old daughter out from 22 cricket to pistols. She started with a CZ 22 Kadet but wanted a gun that later she could compete with. So I let her handle about 11 different pistols I had and she liked the CZ Czeckmate because it has the slide racker and also the dot scope. I took her to the range. She shot it like a champ. The weight tired her after a while. I started making her do ALOT of dry firing....She hated that....LOL.....but she can get on target good with it and can get the slide back. The recoil is not bad at all. She is shooting minor 147gr with it and has shot up to 150 round in a trip to the range. She really likes it.

She is very responsible with the gun and is learning to break it down and maintain it as well.

I have two young daughters who are coming up and I also have watched a few girls around 10 or so at a few matches over the last couple of years. What I have noticed is that the young girls struggle with the XD's and the glocks because of the things you mentioned. I have watched two girls in the 10-13 range run an open gun with a slide racker and both have jumped leaps and bounds since they went to open.

I am going to start my girls in open. I think it is the way to go, myself.

Edited by old506

About the easiest slide to work, that I know of, is a 38 Super open gun

Or a 9mm loaded to 150 pf and light springs. Slide

racker makes it a lot easier.

And a .22 may not be rackable - better check that

with your daughter before you buy one and find

she can't rack that either.

Revolver, if money is an object, but awfully

frustrating because of all the reloads ... IMHO.

Fit is key.

If it fits her hand, she can probably master working the slide on anything.

If you are looking for a centerfire gun for USPSA for her, there are quite a few options.

Probably the most scaleable gun for her would be a 1911 in 9mm. If her hands are small, you can use the thin grips and short trigger, and change them as she grows.

Another good option if it fits her is the CZ 85, as you can also get the .22lr Kadet conversion if she needs to work up to the larger cartridge.

I have an old .38 super single stack open gun that is rigged up for steel shootin' with bunny fart loads. Super easy to rack, and very reliable. When my daughter is old enough this is the one I want to start her out with.

My 10 year old daughter just tried shooting the Glock 34 I got for her, it is a no go. The 9mm is just a little to much, the gun it self is just a little too big.

She has been shooting my S&W 41 in steel challenge matches so I going to try going the CZ 75/85 route with her, with the thin aluminum grips and go limited minor so the gun can be cocked and locked instead of double action first pull.

I though about the 1911 9mm with arched mainspring, thin grips and short trigger, as well

dunno about other guns, but there is a huge difference in ease of racking the slide on my cz's between the stock hammer-spring and recoil spring vs a light recoil and hammer spring tuned for 9mm minor. I would probably ask around at the range or the next match and see who's willing to let her hold and rack their guns. you may find something simple that would work.

dunno about other guns, but there is a huge difference in ease of racking the slide on my cz's between the stock hammer-spring and recoil spring vs a light recoil and hammer spring tuned for 9mm minor. I would probably ask around at the range or the next match and see who's willing to let her hold and rack their guns. you may find something simple that would work.

+1. A CZ 75/85 with stock springs is just about as hard to rack as a G-34 with stock springs. Put in a 10 or 11 lbs recoil spring and 17 or 16 lbs hammer spring, it gets much easier.

Key is also teach the correct racking technique for people with weaker upper bodies: This is the first video I could find that has the basics:

What she doesn't show is by bringing the gun up and as close to the chest as possible, and lock the elbows closed, a lot more leverage can be applied.

My daughter just turned 11. She used to shot the p-22. About a year ago, she tried a Glock 17. Didn't like it at all. Frame is big. She didn't like the recoil. I bought a single stack Rock Island 9mm for myself. She shot this around Christmas and loved it. Good grip and the heavier gun cuts down on felt recoil. I think the single action trigger helps as well. Now that is her gun. The real problem is that now we are digging out of the same bucket of bullets and 9mm is a lot more exspensive than .22. I find that I have to reload a lot more of late. I guess that is ok...

The president of one of the clubs I belong to has a son that started shooting last year at 10. His son is small in stature, so, he shoots an old Tanfoglio comp gun with iron sights. I think he shoots minor with it. The grip size is about as good as it gets for his small hands, even though he can't get his hand around it completely.

Hello: I started my son at 10 shooting a 1911 in 9mm. He is a little on the small size even at 13 now. A 1911 with a 8lb recoil spring and 126PF 115grain bullets works well. He tried a Glock 34 I have but had trouble racking the slide even with a 11lb recoil spring. He can shoot the Glock now since he is stronger but he likes my open pistol :surprise: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

My wife who is tiny... had a heck of a time on several guns. The two that worked the best were the M&P and XDm, everything else was generally too stiff or too big for her hands. Trigger reach was a killer on most all DA/SA stuff and Revolvers.

Best bet is really to just go out and try stuff you never know... hell my wife ended up with an XDm 5.25.. it just felt better to her than even the smaller ones.

My son is also 10. We tried several 9's (G17, XDM, SR9, 92fs, etc) and settled on an M and P. He was able to rack the slide and work the controls far better than any of the others. He is really tall and has big hands for his age but it may be worth trying for your daughter.

One of the best guns for small hands is a small frame Tanfoglio/EAA/Springfield P-9. If you can find an open gun in 9mm built on one of those frames, preferably a P9 World Cup, I'd go with that. Have her shoot minor...lower recoil, lighter recoil spring, and she'll learn to make hits count.

Not quite as ideal, but I notice there's a small frame Tanfoglio open gun in .40 that has been on gunbroker.com for about the last 2+ years for $500. Reload some minor loads and it would work fine too and the price is definitely right.