Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 9 (10 Apr 2012)

2000 yard shot with M200 Intervention next season? :D

cheytac_m200_intervention.jpg

Ending was definitely unexpected but pretty exciting to watch. William just broke under pressure in the end, and to be honest I'm glad he's gone.

That little "thing" between Chee and Gabby was one of the most honest displays of emotion I've seen on a "reality" show... not that I really watch reality shows in the first place, but they just really seemed like honest people there that lost a little something -- Wasn't blown out of proportion or exaggerated, was just real lol. It's just a little refreshing to see some honest humanity on TV.

Hard to tell on screen but in the elimination challenge it looked like one shooter was at a disadvantage with the not so dark blue targets in front of a light blue background. The orange targets had a lot more contrast it seemed.

Edited by Kali

Hard to tell on screen but in the elimination challenge it looked like one shooter was at a disadvantage with the not so dark blue targets in front of a light blue background. The orange targets had a lot more contrast it seemed.

I noticed the same thing... When they showed the long distance shot of the range, the light blue targets didn't show up... They didn't look quite as bad close up, but a definite advantage for the other guy...

Agree, at least two colors closer in spectrum would have been a bit more fair, red and orange, for example. Though honestly, there's no reason they couldn't just make them the same color...

Now, that was a good episode. The elimination challenge was interesting. Chris was doing poor and William was cleaning up and then things reversed. Not sure what happened.

Is it me or wouldn't you have shot that challenge the other way around - from inner to outer. If you missed high on the inner you might hit the second ring and if you hit high on the deflector your bullet fragments might have hit one of the outer rings.

Now, that was a good episode. The elimination challenge was interesting. Chris was doing poor and William was cleaning up and then things reversed. Not sure what happened.

Is it me or wouldn't you have shot that challenge the other way around - from inner to outer. If you missed high on the inner you might hit the second ring and if you hit high on the deflector your bullet fragments might have hit one of the outer rings.

I might have to see how I did in practice. If I had a tendency to pull it up/down I would shoot accordingly. Who knows if fragments would have taken one down.. Unless the deflector was angled upward towards the targets I doubt fragments would even touch em.

From the little bits of footage they had of the shooters, did anybody else notice that some shooters would work the bolt, and then automatically put their finger on the trigger even before looking back into the scope.

From the little bits of footage they had of the shooters, did anybody else notice that some shooters would work the bolt, and then automatically put their finger on the trigger even before looking back into the scope.

I saw that. I also gathered that eye protection was optional when shooting a sniper rifle? its their eyes I guess.

I was surprised how little recoil there was on the .338 Lapua. That AI was obviously well put togeather. I also noticed how smoothly the bolt worked for most of them. I sure would like to have one of them but at $7K+ I don't see that happening. :angry2:

Neal in AZ

I saw that. I also gathered that eye protection was optional when shooting a sniper rifle? its their eyes I guess.

Just started shooting tactical rifle matches last season and this was the 1st thing I noticed, very few rifle shooters wear any kind of eye protection.

Being a USPSA shooter, I thought it was a given...guess not!

ccL

Chee and Gabby did it right, unlike the other chick and the 3 o4 4 guys leaving tongue tracks behind her as she flirted and turned the start of this season in to a cheap "Big Brother After Dark" series. Chee said it could go further, AFTER the show was over with, very smart move. Sucked to see her go, she was a good shooter.

William just flat out choked, but according to him, even when he loses he wins, whatever. Next week is going to be killer.

Coming from shooting international 3 position smallbore, 10M air rifle, and NRA bullseye background, I've seen the flimsiest shooting glasses. Most of them are to enhance vision rather than eye protection.

For that challenge where precision was key, if any of the shooting glasses I was wearing did any kind of weird distortion if not looking perfectly down the middle, I would have either figured out how to setup my position so that I was looking down the area of minimal distortion, or simply given up on the glasses. It's like shooting prone with a pistol... I often have to give up on the ballcap's protection of preventing brass falling into the gaps around the glasses because the cap's brim is getting in the way.

I don't believe that no one has posted it yet, so I will:

Hey diddle diddle! Take it to the bank!

I actually had my money on William, surprising the way he had those ADs and let them break his concentration. Looked like he thought the rifle was malfunctioning. And Chris was able to catch up, wow.

Also interesting how the shooters love the idea of basing nomination on performance only, until it's their turn to have a bad day, then a reason is looked for (and found!) for not sticking with the agreement.

Awesome episode.

I hated seeing gabby go. She was a good competitor and I would be interested in seeing her shooting in her style of competition.

William had a bit of an abrasive attitude, but he was a good shooter. I think that he was a better shooter than Littlejohn, as I feel that luck saved Littlejohn on the first and third elimination challenge. He did not shoot better than his opponent either time, but he used less rounds to do it. I think that Littlejohn just could not get off the shots faster and that saved him both times. He knows that his luck is due to run out, and of course took the opportunity to tone down his personality to let William take the flack from the shooters as a whole.

I did not care for William's "middle of the road" focus, but part of Top Shot is to shoot well enough to stay out of elimination challenges while not shooting so good that you get considered the primary threat to the other shoters winning Top Shot (and thus get put up for elimination). That is a hard line to walk.

I am rooting for Chee to take the top spot this season. :cheers:

Edited by Blueridge