Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought an SVI limited 5" gun

burnjus

Just as the title says, I just ordered and paid up front in full (which puts my lead time ahead by 3 months) so now its only a 9-11 month wait unstead of 12-14. I went with with a sight tracker in 40SW with the duotone finish, full xcelerator cuts on the frame, 3 on the slide. This has been my dream gun since I was a poor college student. Now that I have the money...I went for it. 4300 bucks later, I am thinking that I need the absolute best holster for USPSA for this gun regardless of the money is costs...

Let me know your thoughts...At this last match, I was told the double alpha is the most secure and most stable...maybe some insight from someone who has used multiple different holsters with a 2011 platform type gun in USPSA limited would help. (no rush I have plenty of time before the gun gets here)

Just as the title says, I just ordered and paid up front in full (which puts my lead time ahead by 3 months) so now its only a 9-11 month wait unstead of 12-14. I went with with a sight tracker in 40SW with the duotone finish, full xcelerator cuts on the frame, 3 on the slide. This has been my dream gun since I was a poor college student. Now that I have the money...I went for it. 4300 bucks later, I am thinking that I need the absolute best holster for USPSA for this gun regardless of the money is costs...

Let me know your thoughts...At this last match, I was told the double alpha is the most secure and most stable...maybe some insight from someone who has used multiple different holsters with a 2011 platform type gun in USPSA limited would help. (no rush I have plenty of time before the gun gets here)

I've only used the Ghost, Bladetech and the DAA Racemaster. Once you are brave enough to put some torque on the set screws, the DAA will stay properly adjusted, feels more secure than the Ghost and (for me) the draw times are just as fast as the Ghost. The ball bearing on the Ghost will quickly take the bluing off of your trigger guard, if you care about that.

Assuming you're not sitting on your hands waiting for that new SV blaster, get out and ask what other folks are using at your local club. Most likely, you'll get a similar response in the variety of holsters to those mentioned here. However, if at the range you ask the owner nicely, they'll probably let you get all touchy-feely with the holster and see what you like/dislike before throwing down on a new holster.

That said, I've had a 1st generation Limcat (no longer made AFAIK) and the more recent DAA Racemaster.

I liked the way the ball detent of the Limcat released but not the pin and corresponding hole in the gun's trigger guard required to secure the gun. I've never seen a later generation, but my understanding is that the later models did not require the pin.

I like the DAA RM that I'm using now. It's very rigid and once you get used to the draw motion, very slick. This holster uses a delrin block with a sliding key that captures/releases the gun and some of the mating surfaces required some attention with a needle file. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a thigh pad.

Congrats on the SV. :cheers: Post pics when you get it.

I started with the old Safariland, but did not like it. I never felt secure with it.

I went to Ghost, which was good, but twice the gun got bumped and fell out. Yes, there is a way to lock it. But I neglected to do it. I got DQ'd in a match because it fell out during a draw and step move. My fault entirely.

Then I went to BladeTech. I like the security of the holster and it did not adversely effect my draw times. But it started to wear on the finish of the gun.

I went back to the locking version of the Safariland 013, I really like this holster. I had to mill it in places so it would work with my SV Open gun as well as my SV Limited gun.

I would buy the Safariland 014, if I got a steep discount on it.

Safariland is a great supporter of USPSA, I mean significant amount of their product hits the prize table.

Ghost!!!! I loved my old Bianchi Hemisphere and the Ghost is the fastest and smoothest that I have handled. I have played around with the Limcat and recently a RM and I still think the ghost is just as good as them and maybe smoother.

Either way just pick pne and work the CrXp out of it!

Brian

I'm a holster whore. I just love playing with them and have tried a bunch.

First was the CRspeed. I can't say anything nice about it. Lock is insubstantial, quality is so so.

Then I got a 2nd gen limcat. This was by FAR the best holster I had. Solid lock, great draw, gun didn't rock. The downside was that the tension wasn't adjustable, so you had to be payng attenion or locked when you sit.

Then I took a class and the instructor insisted on CR. That last about 8 weeks.

When I went open, I tried thg Ghost briefly and thought it was grossly overrated. The gun rocked too much and the draw was sloppy.

So I then went kydex. DOH for the 2 years I was MD at Fredericksburg and never really minded it, except drawing a 6" out of kydex was a little bit of a disadvantage.... and it didn't look cool.

Finally I went ot eh DAA. Much ado about nothing in my opinion. With 3 bone stock STI grips, it didn't fit ANY of them properly out of the box. First the holster wouldn't allow the gun to go in deep enough to lock, then it wouldn't release. The insert that goes into the trigger was totally off and required that I reshape it substantially. Totally unacceptable in a $200 holster. Then I fought with it to keep it tight. Now I have it where it works, its fine, but I have way too much money in a science project.

I have tried the Safariland 013 and Gugas and dindn't care for either, but the 014 looks promising. I'm not in the market, but I'd swap for it if given the chance.

I'm a holster whore. I just love playing with them and have tried a bunch.

First was the CRspeed. I can't say anything nice about it. Lock is insubstantial, quality is so so.

Then I got a 2nd gen limcat. This was by FAR the best holster I had. Solid lock, great draw, gun didn't rock. The downside was that the tension wasn't adjustable, so you had to be payng attenion or locked when you sit.

Then I took a class and the instructor insisted on CR. That last about 8 weeks.

When I went open, I tried thg Ghost briefly and thought it was grossly overrated. The gun rocked too much and the draw was sloppy.

So I then went kydex. DOH for the 2 years I was MD at Fredericksburg and never really minded it, except drawing a 6" out of kydex was a little bit of a disadvantage.... and it didn't look cool.

Finally I went ot eh DAA. Much ado about nothing in my opinion. With 3 bone stock STI grips, it didn't fit ANY of them properly out of the box. First the holster wouldn't allow the gun to go in deep enough to lock, then it wouldn't release. The insert that goes into the trigger was totally off and required that I reshape it substantially. Totally unacceptable in a $200 holster. Then I fought with it to keep it tight. Now I have it where it works, its fine, but I have way too much money in a science project.

I have tried the Safariland 013 and Gugas and dindn't care for either, but the 014 looks promising. I'm not in the market, but I'd swap for it if given the chance.

You are IN FACT a holster WHORE with a CAPITAL HORE :sight:

I thought I had too many holsters. I have a Rubber Maid 18 gallon bin full of holsters and belts. I probably have two of everything, except 1911 -- I probably have 10.

Now I am in the market for IWB for CCW. Cannot decide on what to get. Maybe I need a dedicated CCW pistol first.

THanks for all the info. And Flex, sorry if this is too similar to another post out there. I kind of wanted to announce my puchase more than get holster advice, but thought I would kill two birds with one stone and think I came up with my decision. Thanks a lot fellas.

went with the DAA racemaster here. I did the Kydex route for limited and just got an open gun and read a ton and felt some of the different holsters. The racemaster feels good on the draw and much smoother draw than the kydex I was use to. I like the feature of being able to adjust the tension of the unlocked holser as I keep it a little on the snug side since Im use to the kydex and dont need it super loose. I tried knocking the gun from the back and it stayed in till it was moved up in the holster ie drawn. I love the lock feature on it. It is rock solid when locked and the lock is in a very easy location to reach if you need to engage it on the draw just use the middle finger when grabbing the grip. This was a big selling point as we cometimes get starts in posiions other than standing. I plan on locking it for those chair starts, laying on a "bed" starts etc. Figure that split second to sweep the lock off when grabbing the gun on those kind of starts is better than a dq for it getting dislodged.

my vote goes for the DAA Racemaster; fast yet secure and you can use the same holster for Limited/Open with no adjustments. Had three different STI's used with two RM's and never had a problem with the grips not inserting.

Check out the new holster Manny Bragg is selling thru the Universal Shooting Academy Proshop. It was orginally designed and manufactured in Finland and may still be built there I do not know. It is more adjustable than any holster on the market. All bolts are tightened by steel bolts rather than threaded aluminum. Eliminates the problem with stripping if over tightened. There was not a picture on the website the last time I looked but I am sure they can email a pic if you are interested.

I have thoroughly used my DAA Racemaster over the past year and change and I absolutely love it. Very consistent with almost zero maintenance, the adjustment screws will losen after excessive use, just put a little blue/temporary loctite on them and let it ride, best $200 I've spent in IPSC......besides ammo :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting this sport since 1979 and have seen holsters

evolve from Leather to a small block hanging on your belt.

Check out the holsters being used at your local club. Other

shooters will be happy to tell you about the holster they have

and the holsters they have had.

However, I agree with GMeddie. I have used a CR Speed World Shoot

Model for several years without and problems and would suggest that

you give it a look when making your choice.

Excellent choice on your new pistol.

I use a ghost, and I'm very pleased with it. It is a very simple and secure design, and its very tough yet light weight. But most of all it just works. It was tight and held the gun with no wiggle right out of the box.