Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Often Do You Replace Your Tumbling Media?

coalman

I'm using crushed walnuts as media, and I'm about to replace my first "batch" because the last batch I cleaned, I noticed the walnuts were very dirty and didn't clean the brass that well. I've used the same media ~4 times, each run time is ~4 hours. I clean probably 300 pieces at a time. Besides, I can buy a large bag of crushed walnuts at the local pet store for pretty cheap, so I'd rather dump the stuff more often and have cleaner brass.

Edited by polizei1

I run 3 different batches of walnut hulls.

1st batch is use for range brass and cleaning case lube off and dirt.

2nd batch is for a pre polish of straight walnut hulls which helps polish it down faster.

3rd batch is for final finish walnut hulls with nufinish.

When the 2nd and 3rd batch is getting dirty it becomes it becomes the 1st. It may seem like more work, but i know that my cases are very clean and dirt free. I run about 20 minutes on each batch. I have done about 3k of 9mm and 6k of 223 brass. Plus i buy 2-3 bags of walnut hulls at a time at the pet store and throw it away when it looks dirty. Coleman

I use "Lizard Litter" from Petsmart with a little turtle wax. The "Lizard Litter" is ground walnut hulls. I put a few old dryer sheets in with each batch to capture the crud. I've ran my last batch of media for two years in my dillon. At least a batch every other week for two hours. When I was shooting indoors and acquiring a large amount of brass, it was running weekly.

I'm using a 40/60 mix of Lyman Treated Corn Cob (green) and corn blast with 2 used Bounce drier sheets. The drier sheets perofrm 2 jobs, first it helps keep the dust down and second it extends the life of the media. I change the drier sheets out with every batch of brass.

I can't say how many loads I use the media for, but when new it takes about 1 1/2 hours to clean the brass, but when it goes over 4 hours I change it.

FWIW I'm running 3 Lyman tumblers, a 1200, a 2200, and a 2500 Magnum.

I do it about every 8-12 cleanings as well. I use a mix of Lyman green treated corn and just normal corn. (About a 75%/25% mix). I typically run my tumbler for 5-6 hours at a time and my results are great. I'll normally add more polish every ~3-4 cleanings too, and run it for 30 minutes before putting any brass in.

I just changed mine after about 5000 rounds in the last year :roflol::surprise:

After 2 hours I didn't see much progress on the cases so I chucked it...

So i'd say once a year/5k - corncob with dillon polish. between 2-4 hrs a set, as much brass as I can put in the tumbler.

Redneck style.. :devil:

Dude. 50? 100? 1000? I run corn cob for 2-3 batches then toss it. Is it really good for as much as 50+ runs? It's looking pretty dirty after a few runs.

I am very surprised by the choices as well.

I was expecting different brackets: 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, ....

Go to Drillspot:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Econoline Blast Media, 40 Lbs, Corn Cob, 20/40 Grit

Model: 526040G-40 SKU: 521055--$32.90 and free shipping.

After ten years, I am almost half way through my 40lb bag...

20/40 is small enough that it doesn't pack in my primer pocket or the flash hole.

Edited by noylj

When it does not clean the Brass, or at least make some good progress in two hours, I replace it.

I just replaced the crushed walnut media I have been using for about a year now. I have run at least 20 gallons of pistol brass through it and about 5 gallons of rifle brass, probably more.

Edited by Classic_jon

For me, I go by how many hours it has been used, not the number of times it has been used. I usually change it every thousand hours or so. Since I shoot mostly indoors it isn't that big of an issues for me but I usually run my brass a day or two just cause I like it extra shiney. lol

Joe W.

I clean my brass with rice first, then polish it with corncob media and polish. It last quite a long time doing it that way. When the rice get to the point it is leaving dust on the brass, I toss it and replace it with new. Does a good job, as long as you don't cook the rice first.