Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virtual Prize Table

In order to generate more interest and exposure for the 2012 Briley West Coast Steel Championships and its sponsors, we are trying something new that we believe has never been done before: a virtual prize table (VPT) posted on the match website: http://www.westcoaststeelchamps.com/VPT.htm visible for all to see, both before and long after the match. When we receive a sponsor’s products, we will post a picture and hotlink it to the relevant page on their website.

We feel that the VPT is a win for everyone. The shooters will get an idea what is on the prize table, sponsors will get more exposure and traffic (from beyond just those attending the match) to their website and the shooters (after seeing what’s on the prize table) will be more likely to enter the match and do so earlier.

There is a lot of effort and logistics involved, but we think the benefits are well worth it.

Your thoughts?

Jim

I dont think shooters come to a match for a prize table. They come for a decent match. Leaving with a prize is a bonus. One I have neve reven thought about until I get handed something.

Also how many people that are not gonna come to the match are gonna be looking at your websight ? I have no idea, but your way wouldnt hurt anything and seems like it would get more exposure. May help with sponsors if people buy their products and send in an email telling them ,"I bought your brand instead of brand X, because you sponsored the xyz match. I enjoyed the match.

Great idea! On the website for the Noveske CO MG Championship, we put all the sponsor banners up, linked to their site, on the main page. Visitors have to scroll down to get to the app and match info. Having our own webpage for the match only also lets us track user visits which we will be reporting back to the sponsors.

Sponsors support matches mainly for advertising, so anything the match organizers can do to promote their sponsors is beneficial. The videos Andy did for the Blue Ridge match on his sponsor page are also a great idea!

Way to go Jim

Thats a great Idea.

Like it or Not A prize table is part of the games It makes the sport Grow.

Think of it as the Kiss at the end of the Date For them guys that remember Dating.

Any guy that says he didn't care how the Date ... <_< ended :devil: was a Lied to them-selfs or was hopeless in so many ways.

The Sponsors I have talked to all Hate hidden prize tables. Worst than Bad is the "Black Bag" = That kills a sponsors motivation.

If a Prize table did not Work just try to convince a shooter to try a new game or long trip with out mentioning Prize Table.

I live with an Average shooter And she has her prized Cold Steel knife set on the counter from the 2005 Steel Challenge.

Way to Go Jim

I think its a great idea!! For most sponsors putting their name in the match book is good enough. Doing something above and beyond that is just icing on the cake, and could entice more sponsors to participate, making the prize table much larger for the individual shooters. I think its a win/win deal.

Good Job Jim!

Joe4d,

One thing you have to understand about The Steel Challenge is it is all about the prize table.

The match is the match. The stages are always the same; it never changes. And you go to teh prize table in order of finish. No classes. No divisions. Fastest time goes first.

They thing is that if you finish in the middle, you still walk away with a great prize the table is so deep.

Jim,

Looks great !

It sounds like a fantastic idea to me. One, the lower ranked shooters never get to see what is at the top, Two, the sponsors get a lot of free exposure and may reap multiple additional sales directly from the VPT as well as enhanced web traffic due to the additional linking. As for a shooter being motivated to enter the match becasue he sees the prizes? That I am not sure of, but I will say that given two matches, both with similar quality and price, the better prize table is likely to get more or earlier response. Admittedly most of us could buy our prize for far less than the cost of the match, especially taking into account the cost of travel and ammo and adding them to the actual match fee but we really do this for the match, all but a few.

I have seen some very interesting ways of handling a prize table over the years. Shoot for Cash, Random Draw on Prizes. Shoot for Cash or Plaques and walk the tables on a random draw order. I like this as you get a chance to pick up something you want as opposed to just what ever the random double blind draw selected for you. Order of finish is also good. It rewards skill. Order of finish with Special Categories and Classes getting bumped up in the order not so much as why should 3rd D get a better trip to the table than 4th A?

Over the years I guess I have come to the conclusion that no single system is best and each match has its own flavor.

The VPT really does seem like a new and valid Idea. Only drawback might be it could be a lot of work if the match doesn't have a really good webdude.

Gentlemen-

Thanks for all of the great input.

Mark, I like the way you think. Like your event, the WCSC entry form is at the bottom of the main webpage with access gained only after scrolling through all of our sponsors’ weblinked logos.

With the Steel Challenge moving to FL, Mike Dalton and I are on a mission to keep steel shooting alive (and hopefully even grow it) in CA. We want to attract as many shooters as possible and a large, diverse, bountiful & well publicized prize table certainly doesn’t hurt.

Joe, there will be plaque awards for performance and the merchandise prizes will be distributed by random drawing with an individual ticket given for each gun entered. We have found this has given shooters the incentive to participate, send in their entries early and shoot multiple guns as well. We realize that this system may not attract the professional and top level shooters, but will generate greater overall participation and make for a FUN, low key event that is friendly to all skill levels. (Sorry, for the thread drift away from the VPT.)

So far, all of the feedback on the VPT has been extremely positive. The shooters are excited knowing their chance of taking home some really nice stuff and the sponsors are pleased having their products showcased to a larger audience both before AND after the match, and that all competitors have an equal chance of winning them.

The VPT has an added benefit of giving the sponsors incentive to provide and showcase their higher end, latest and “coolest” products. We have been told that our match will be among the first to receive the new Safarliland 014 holster, the new Bar-Sto carry holsters and the new Kitanica “Hiker” shorts & “High Speed, Low Drag” pants. Our Title Sponsor, Briley has built us a full race Signature Series shotgun and the Ithaca Gun Company will make a special shotgun with the WCSC logo engraved & gold inlaid n the receiver. All of these items were first offered by our sponsors on their own initiative and when available, the world will be able to see them on our VPT.

I think I know why this has never been done before. It is a TREMENDOUS amount of work to put all of the pieces in place. We are extremely fortunate to have a very capable & knowledgeable webmaster with lot of flexibility, a “can do “ attitude and a big sense of humor as well.

And Jaime- I hope you & Linda can come out for a great event and a fun time topped off by a memorable "Good Night" kiss! (From our prize table, that is!) :rolleyes:

Jim

Jim,

Looks good!

Will you be adding prize retail values to the list?

I think this is a useful tool for competitor and having the website links is a big plus for the sponsors.

Wish I could make the match...

Edited by pmd

Joe4d,

One thing you have to understand about The Steel Challenge is it is all about the prize table.

The match is the match. The stages are always the same; it never changes. And you go to the prize table in order of finish. No classes. No divisions. Fastest time goes first.

They thing is that if you finish in the middle, you still walk away with a great prize the table is so deep.

Jim,

Looks great !

Not for all I went to the World shoot 10 years strait shot two guns 9 of the years, The Prize Table was never my motivation for going. The Prize Table run was good, But not my reason for shooting it.

I wanted to see how close to my penitential for Speed and consistency that I could reach.

I want to experience every part of an event, If the prize table is part of the event. Thin Its Not Over till its over.

Joe4d,

The match is the match. The stages are always the same; it never changes. And you go to the prize table in order of finish. No classes. No divisions. Fastest time goes first.

Jim,

Looks great !

Not for all I went to the World shoot 10 years strait shot two guns 9 of the years, The Prize Table was never my motivation for going. The Prize Table run was good, But not my reason for shooting it.

I wanted to see how close to my penitential for Speed and consistency that I could reach.

I want to experience every part of an event, If the prize table is part of the event. Thin Its Not Over till its over.

I have to agree with Jaime on this one. The Steel Challenge had one of the best prize tables at one time, but it has declined in the last few years. The prize table does help to offset some of the costs involved in attending a match, but it shouldn't be the only reason to shoot a match. It's tough during these economic times. We all have our "favorite" matches. There are a lot of matches I would still shoot if they reduced the entry fee and got rid of the prize table. If you really wanted to get a new gun, wouldn't it be easier to skip the match, save the money, and buy the gun? We're just greedy...We want to hang out with our friends, shoot the match, and win the gun. LOL

Seiichi

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that the match is not about the prize table. The average large match cost the shooter 300-500 dollars and the average prize is only worth $50. If you are coming for the prize you havent done the math.

My last match had a few glitches (as with all matches). They were all related to the prize table and the so called sponsors.

What most people do not see is how much the prize sponsors cost the match. They usually demand a slot or two in exchange for retail priced gifts. That means they do not pay for any expenses AND they take income from the match AND the match must pay for those match fees and expenses associated with a sponsored competitor. The more prize sponsors, the less money the match has to work with. In my case it cost about 4k-5k to have prize sponsors.

I think the word Sponsor is misused too often. Companies donating prizes are not necessarily sponsors as they do not pay for anything at the match. It is simply a free trade show for them to spread their product. A true sponsor actually contributes to the match expenses. Prize donations should be referred to as Contributors.

For those that think prize sponsors draw competitors; my match was sold out (360 shooters) before any sponsors sent a single item.

I want to add;

The concept of promoting businesses in our sport is a great idea and is a separate issue.

Edited by j33716

Good prize tables do draw shooters.

In my area, there are more good quality matches than I have time to shoot, so I have to decide which matches I want to shoot. Logically I take what kind of prize table they have into consideration.

If I'm deciding between 2 matches and one I think I'll have a chance of winning something that might offset or even pay the expense of the match, and the other they are doing door prizes or random draw, I'll usually pick the one with the better prize table. And I know alot of other shooters who feel the same.

Good prize tables do draw shooters.

In my area, there are more good quality matches than I have time to shoot, so I have to decide which matches I want to shoot. Logically I take what kind of prize table they have into consideration.

If I'm deciding between 2 matches and one I think I'll have a chance of winning something that might offset or even pay the expense of the match, and the other they are doing door prizes or random draw, I'll usually pick the one with the better prize table. And I know alot of other shooters who feel the

Prizes dont pay the expenses of a match.

Lets see, match fee, hotel room, food, ammo. All those add up to $300 plus

Unless you are in the top 5 you most likely will not make money

If you are indeed in the top 5 then you are most likely sponsored and you didnt pay for the match anyway

If you are in this for the prizes you havent been at it very long, you'll learn

The trend is to call prize donors the sponsors. The fact is they are not paying for anything and actually take money out of the match.

Each donating " sponsor" costs the match 1 or 2 slots and the match fees associated. On top of that the match has to pay the range fees and supplies of that shooter.

In a larger match they add up to $4000 or more out of the proceeds

In return the shooters get full retail pricing of prizes that are usually sold on this forum or others while the match itself pays the $4000 . The money would be better spent buying those prizes at wholesale cost and not giving away the slots.

Sponsors are ones that actually send money to pay for the expenses of a match

If you are indeed in the top 5 then you are most likely sponsored and you didnt pay for the match anyway

Sorry, but prizes can pay the match expenses. I've done it many times, and I know other shooters who have done it many times. A lot of the major matches have guns worth well over $300, and STI pays $350 contingency to class winners at many major matches.

And as far as the crack about I'll learn, I've been shooting for 20 years and I have learned that I can greatly offset my match expenses for the year by picking the right matches to shoot.

Maybe if money ever gets tight for you, and you still want to shoot, you will learn.

Sorry, but prizes can pay the match expenses. I've done it many times, and I know other shooters who have done it many times. A lot of the major matches have guns worth well over $300, and STI pays $350 contingency to class winners at many major matches.

And as far as the crack about I'll learn, I've been shooting for 20 years and I have learned that I can greatly offset my match expenses for the year by picking the right matches to shoot.

Maybe if money ever gets tight for you, and you still want to shoot, you will learn.

"..............

Sorry you felt that was a crack. It was not intended to be.

I was speaking from experience as a major match director and a shooter.

I dont think i have ever gotten out of a match for less than the $300.

With that in mind, the prize that has to be sold would only make it a break even and thats if you count on winning everytime.

Over the past 20 years, what percentage of matches have you won? ( again, not trying to be personal, just asking a question)

If its not 100% then you are in the negative.

My point is that most shooters i have spoken with admit it is not the prize that makes the match

The focus should be on great stages, staff and hospitality

This is not to say we dont support the businesses.

Edited by j33716

if you wanna make money in the shooting sports, shoot trap. yeah, seriously.

trying to get this thread back on track.....

awesome idea Jim O'Young! :cheers:

since this is a steel challenge match, granted a large one, with the same 8 stages, I have to wonder how many people do actually look at a match booklet???

I would imagine your customers already know what Smoke and Hope, and Accelerator look like, so is a match booklet redundant or all that necessary.

for me, having emails go out via mailchimp.com especially in an HTML format was awesome WRT to analytics .

Edited by Chills1994

Gentlemen-

Those are all great comments regarding sponsor slots, shooters being attracted by the prize table, financing match & travel expenses, match booklets, etc., and I can certainly add my 2 cents on those subjects in the appropriate threads.

Specifically regarding the VPT, as the 2012 Briley WCSC approaches (only 6 weeks to go!!), feedback continues to be extremely positive. There has been a lot of buzz generated in the shooting community, both among the shooters and the industry.

The 60+ sponsors of the match absolutely love having their products on display and actually remember the WCSC and who I am when I call. Some companies have even gone as far as posting our logo, match & VPT links on their company & social media websites and directing others in the industry (including other match directors) to our VPT as an example of how things should be done.

One sponsor in particular sheepishly told me that he was going to “knock us off” and create a VPT for the match he promotes. I said “Go for it!” and consider it a compliment and validation of the effectiveness of the VPT as a promotional tool.

So it seems that the VPT is a win for all. If only it wasn’t so much freaking work & hassle….

Jim

Gentlemen-

Those are all great comments regarding sponsor slots, shooters being attracted by the prize table, financing match & travel expenses, match booklets, etc., and I can certainly add my 2 cents on those subjects in the appropriate threads.

Specifically regarding the VPT, as the 2012 Briley WCSC approaches (only 6 weeks to go!!), feedback continues to be extremely positive. There has been a lot of buzz generated in the shooting community, both among the shooters and the industry.

The 60+ sponsors of the match absolutely love having their products on display and actually remember the WCSC and who I am when I call. Some companies have even gone as far as posting our logo, match & VPT links on their company & social media websites and directing others in the industry (including other match directors) to our VPT as an example of how things should be done.

One sponsor in particular sheepishly told me that he was going to “knock us off” and create a VPT for the match he promotes. I said “Go for it!” and consider it a compliment and validation of the effectiveness of the VPT as a promotional tool.

So it seems that the VPT is a win for all. If only it wasn’t so much freaking work & hassle….

Jim

Sorry for getting off subject...

You are absolutely on track. Thinking out of the box, promoting sponsors is the only way to improve sponsor relations for all matches.

You idea will also work to bring in additional sponsors outside our sport.